Pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had it when I was diagnosed 13 years ago age 21. They said it’s lifelong so never needed it again since
Advice does change over time however.

I've never been offered it, but Mr Marten was offered it some years back (and accepted it) when he had the usual flu jab at his previous surgery. It all seems very random...

I have never had one, nor been offered one, in adulthood. My medical vaccinations record shows I did receive "Pneumococcal" at around 6 weeks, 14 weeks and 1 year old.

I obviously got unlucky enough to have contracted pneumonia when I was 4, so not in the recent past. 🙂

I imagine, like most lurgies, the better position or individual form of diabetes is in, the better we might cope with the challenges thrown our way.

(Vaccinations don't seem to work too well for me, bearing in mind I have been vaccinated/immunised pneumonia, measles, mumps, rubella and whooping cough, and yet have had them all subsequently - rubella twice, including when I was on a large research project focusing on pregnant ladies and their new babies. That was somewhat awkward!

To my knowledge nobody came to any harm, although I wasn't very well at all. Hey ho.)

@AndBreathe From reading I’ve done today it seems that if you have it as a child (under the age of 5 or so) then it’s lifetime protection so if you actually had pneumonia as a little one you’re quite likely immune anyway.

I had mine the same time I had my first flu jab. It came completely out of blue - at the time I had no idea there was a pneumonia jab.
There are two types of pneumonia, though - viral and bacterial - and the jab is for bacterial pneumonia. As far as I'm aware there's no jab for viral pneumonia.
You’re correct. It’s a vaccination against pneumococcal pneumonia and that’s bacterial.

There are also two types of vaccine. One is a polysaccharide (presumably derived from sugar coated parrots?) and the other, erm, isn’t.

Seems that polysaccharide is given to children and the conjugated one to adults. The adult one also covers against more strains and is generally stronger than the childhood one.

Surgery have just confirmed I’m having mine when I go in next week for my diabetes review and foot tickling session.

Mum's had that and I presumed it was age related. I've never been offered it. I must ask my sisters if they have... you always hear of old peoples getting one thing but then it's the pneumonia that sees them off!

Mum's had that and I presumed it was age related. I've never been offered it. I must ask my sisters if they have... you always hear of old peoples getting one thing but then it's the pneumonia that sees them off!
So ask at your next diabetes review if you can get the jab.

I try not to go @ColinUK 🙂 Last time I used the virus excuse "I'll wait till I've had my jab." :D

I have no faith in the health peoples, they let me down badly I feel.

I get mine periodically along with the flu vaccine but, it’s not every year & I forget how often it’s given: 5 or 10 years; stabbed into the opposite arm from the flu jab! 🙄
I was told every 10 years for “normal” folks! Whatever that means, and every 5 years for me! 🙄

I
I was told every 10 years for “normal” folks! Whatever that means, and every 5 years for me! 🙄
think you’re right @eggyg it’s 10 years as I remember getting it twice before & the double vaccines make me feel AWFULLY swollen on both arms so, it’s an awkwardly uncomfortable couple of nights sleep afterwards: both sides hurting & lots of tossing & turning! 🙄

I am sure when I had mine 15 years ago I was told it was a one off, but I am giving to check next time I see someone.

My parents have also had Shingles jabs (although my Mum called it a "Singles vaccine" which got us thinking).
That seems to be age related and I am not old enough yet. Or too old - I have just read it is not given to anyone over the age of 80.

My parents have also had Shingles jabs (although my Mum called it a "Singles vaccine" which got us thinking).
That seems to be age related and I am not old enough yet. Or too old - I have just read it is not given to anyone over the age of 80.
I thought the Shingles one was for the over 70's, and I have not reached that milestone yet!

I thought the Shingles one was for the over 70's, and I have not reached that milestone yet!
I was expecting to get mine last year when reached 70, but like many things it will have to wait for "normality".

i have actually had shingles on my lower rib cage it was so painful and then the itching. had a number of bouts of it as well

Shingles vaccination is available on the NHS once you’re over 70 but not over 80.

It’s available privately for £100 - £200 it seems.

I

think you’re right @eggyg it’s 10 years as I remember getting it twice before & the double vaccines make me feel AWFULLY swollen on both arms so, it’s an awkwardly uncomfortable couple of nights sleep afterwards: both sides hurting & lots of tossing & turning! 🙄
I wonder if it’s because of your asthma Lanny? Probably more frequently for patients with respiratory problems. And one off for other underlying conditions? Or age? Confused.com

@AndBreathe From reading I’ve done today it seems that if you have it as a child (under the age of 5 or so) then it’s lifetime protection so if you actually had pneumonia as a little one you’re quite likely immune anyway.
I'm assuming that could only hold water for viral pneumonia, rather than a secondary pneumonia from other causes.

Shingles vaccination is available on the NHS once you’re over 70 but not over 80.

It’s available privately for £100 - £200 it seems.
Is that for the consulting too? The last time I looked the Private GP service down the road form me cost about £100 a consultation.

Is that for the consulting too? The last time I looked the Private GP service down the road form me cost about £100 a consultation.
That’s likely to be just for the vaccination I’d say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back