Pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinUK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
So the nurse today, whilst sharpening the needle she was about to impale me with in order to draw 1 quart of blood for my HbA1C, mentioned the pneumonia jab.

First time she’s mentioned it and I don’t know it was a diabetes related thing.

She said that those with diabetes can “oh yes, die. You die. Very simple.” And said she’d do a jab next time I’m in (which is only next week for the diabetes review).

I’m wondering if everyone else realised it’s diabetes thing and not an age thing (I’m 54) and that they are advised to have a vaccination for it and that it’s freely available.

So the nurse today, whilst sharpening the needle she was about to impale me with in order to draw 1 quart of blood for my HbA1C, mentioned the pneumonia jab.

First time she’s mentioned it and I don’t know it was a diabetes related thing.

She said that those with diabetes can “oh yes, die. You die. Very simple.” And said she’d do a jab next time I’m in (which is only next week for the diabetes review).

I’m wondering if everyone else realised it’s diabetes thing and not an age thing (I’m 54) and that they are advised to have a vaccination for it and that it’s freely available.
I am not sure as also have Asthma, so that is the reason I had mine.

Yes, it was done first time I saw the GP practice nurse after diagnosis, together with flu jab, 20ish years ago, aged 50ish.

I was never told! By the time I'd discovered about it, and was just thinking I ought to mention it at my next review, I was about to turn 65 anyway, so was offered it and had it just before Christmas.
But yes, I should have had it several years ago.

Yes I was offered it with my flu jab last Oct. I hadn't been offered it last year. I believe it is a one off rather than yearly vaccine maybe needing an occasional top up and I think it may be being pushed more for diabetics now in view of the Covid pandemic

You only need the jab once, with maybe a booster a few years later. Lasts a lifetime. There’s no difference if you have diabetes.
According to the NHS there’s a significant increased risk of serious pneumonia if you have diabetes.

According to the NHS there’s a significant increased risk of serious pneumonia if you have diabetes.
I think @mikeyB meant PWD don't need it more than once, whereas some people with other conditions do have it more often.

I've had 2 ! Although my GP in Kidderminster gave me mine when they first could, before I was 50, for some reason after I moved to Coventry aged 48+ my new GP decided to be belt & braces. 'Oh' I said.

Haven't caught pneumonia yet .......

I have one every five years ‘cos I is special! 😉 Not really, it’s because I don’t have a spleen, ( had my first one before the op to remove it) which they whipped out before I was diabetic. I didn’t know diabetic persons generally got it. Do you think it’s just since the pandemic maybe?
I’ve never had pneumonia but have had pleurisy twice. Not pleasant.

I have one every five years ‘cos I is special! 😉 Not really, it’s because I don’t have a spleen, ( had my first one before the op to remove it) which they whipped out before I was diabetic. I didn’t know diabetic persons generally got it. Do you think it’s just since the pandemic maybe?
Dunno. The literature I was handed certainly didn’t seem newly designed and makes no reference to COVID.

It was part of the routine for newly diagnosed T2s at my surgery in 2000 - "You're diabetic, so you get a flu jab every year now, and a one-off pneumonia jab." Don't know about T1s or others. Thanks, @eggyg , I knew a select (and special, of course!) few had it more often, but couldn't think of anyone specific.

I had a pneumonia jab the first time I had a flu jab.
It is the only time I have had a reaction to jabs. Nothing serious, just achy.
I know others have a worse reaction to the pneumonia one than flu.

No one's ever told me about that and I get asthma thanks for the heads up Colin I have review in a couple of weeks.

No one's ever told me about that and I get asthma thanks for the heads up Colin I have review in a couple of weeks.
Be interesting to see what they say at your review but it’s certainly worth asking the question.

“Immunity is not lifelong, so individuals must be re-vaccinated at age 65 if their initial vaccination was given at age 60 or younger.”

That’s the U.K. guidelines on pneumonia vaccinations.

Had it when I was diagnosed 13 years ago age 21. They said it’s lifelong so never needed it again since

I get mine periodically along with the flu vaccine but, it’s not every year & I forget how often it’s given: 5 or 10 years; stabbed into the opposite arm from the flu jab! 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back