pneumococcal vaccine.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was sent a letter to get it but I had covid and couldn’t attend I actually asked last week about it saying I missed it and was told no I didn’t need it

It’s a one-off, I think @Bruce Stephens
Oh yes.
If you're at increased risk of a pneumococcal infection, you'll be given a single dose of the PPV vaccine.​
But if your spleen does not work properly or you have a chronic kidney condition, you may need booster doses of PPV every 5 years.​

I get one every five years as I’m spleenless, but I believe the one you’ve been offered, as others have mentioned, is a one off. I’ve never had any bad reaction and I’ve had three now.

Makes sense, had mine over 12 years ago, maybe more. Often wondered if it was one off or something you did every few years, guess mines was former.

It is protection against specific viruses that can cause pneumonia, which may or may not be amongst the complicating lung infections which people with severe covid have caught. Often they seem to suspect bacterial pneumonia in such cases, but any nasty bugs can invade when your immune system is still low.
No, it is not a protection against any viruses. It is protection against streptococcal bacteria which are the commonest reason for developing pneumonia, usually after a viral infection.

No, it is not a protection against any viruses. It is protection against streptococcal bacteria which are the commonest reason for developing pneumonia, usually after a viral infection.
Yes, sorry, specific types of bacteria

Edited previous post

Hi Emily, I am newly diagnosed (type 1), coming up to a month since my diagnosis. I'm 33 and was offered the vaccine very quickly. I had it yesterday and am pleased to say I barely felt it, and haven't had any side effects 🙂 My blood sugars were a little bit high last night which is unusual for me, but they've settled down today. Could have been a coincidence.

I decided that any extra protection I can get against infections is definitely worth having, especially as diabetics we may be more susceptible to these. Hope that helps!

especially as diabetics we may be more susceptible to these. Hope that helps!
I was told we are no more susceptible to things like flu or pneumonia if we have well managed diabetes. The reason we are advised to have the jabs is because, if we did get them, diabetes becomes harder to manage.

Hey all,

So today i had a call off my diabetes nurse. She called to ask me to book an appointment for me to have the Pneumococcal Vaccine.
Now, i had never heard of this before so asked why i was having it. She said because i am at high risk due to having type 2 diabetes.
However.... i have asked other people i know with diabetes and none of them have ever been offered this vaccine. I also came home and did a bit of research on this and found that its usually given to people with kidney disease or elderly 65+. I am a 30 years old and other than diabetes i am in perfect health... Has anyone else been offered the Pneumococcal Vaccine before becuase of diabetes alone? If so did you have it?
Thanks for reading, folks.
Enjoy your evening
I have long been in perfect health, and still am, other than having recently developed Type 1 diabetes; and I'm not elderly either.

About 15 years ago, I had what I thought was 'just a virus'-- remember the pre-Covid days, when people often referred to 'just a virus'?-- but I ended up nearly dying of pneumonia. During my time in hospital, they checked me out very thoroughly; they found no underlying problem, and told me 'you just happened to come across a bug with your name on it.'

I haven't yet been offered this vaccine, but I'm only very recently diagnosed. Now that I've seen this thread and looked on the NHS site-- https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/when-is-pneumococcal-vaccine-needed/ , saying people with either type of diabetes are "at a higher risk of a pneumococcal infection"-- I'm definitely going to ask for this vaccine! It's very rare for healthy non-elderly people to get pneumonia, but if there's a free and painless way to reduce the chance even further, that's great.

Yep, I had it doubled-up with flu jab one year.

Then unfortunately caught a tummy bug that the kids brought back from school. I’ve no idea whether I’d have dodged the stomach upset if my immune system wasn’t distracted by focussing on creating vaccine antibodies, but I suspect I’d have caught the bug anyway.

I’ve no idea whether I’d have dodged the stomach upset if my immune system wasn’t distracted by focussing on creating vaccine antibodies, but I suspect I’d have caught the bug anyway.
Never occurred to me about leaving yourself open to other infections. Had mine a few months ago and then tested + for covid 6 days later. (blaming the vaccine now instead of my son - the plague carrier).

Never occurred to me about leaving yourself open to other infections. Had mine a few months ago and then tested + for covid 6 days later. (blaming the vaccine now instead of my son - the plague carrier).
Oh don’t listen to my crackpot theories! I have no idea whether it works like that at all!

• Haha
Reactions: gll
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back