PM discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter FM001
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FM001

Hi everyone, recently we have been getting a lot of suspicious activity where new members are joining, then sending themselves a Private Message, then logging off after a short while.

Why on earth would they want to send themselves a private message? Toby.

Yeah, am I being a few slices short? Sorry but why would someone do that?

*confused*

Still non the wiser Northerner!:confused: They must be some strange people to want to send themselves a pm!🙄 Toby.

It's a strange thing to do. There may be a legitimate reason - someone may want to try out the features of the forum before posting - but it has been happening far too frequently lately to be a coincidence. It may be that they are studying the code produced by a private message. Given that most of the people who do this have an ISP based in India and a lot of them appear on forum spam bulletin boards, I doubt very much that they are genuine diabetics.

Blimey! You really are the all seeing eye! 🙂

It's a strange thing to do. There may be a legitimate reason - someone may want to try out the features of the forum before posting - but it has been happening far too frequently lately to be a coincidence. It may be that they are studying the code produced by a private message. Given that most of the people who do this have an ISP based in India and a lot of them appear on forum spam bulletin boards, I doubt very much that they are genuine diabetics.

A ISP address based in India most of the time does start to sound the alarm bells, good job your on the ball Northerner!😉 Toby

Seems strange, do you mind if I ask on another forum that has plenty of techies for a reason?

Seems strange, do you mind if I ask on another forum that has plenty of techies for a reason?

Be my guest! 🙂 Don't name our forum though, it might draw people here to see if they can hack us :(

Be my guest! 🙂 Don't name our forum though, it might draw people here to see if they can hack us :(

Okey dokey, my lips are sealed😎 I'm going in undercover.

P.S. I won't mention cater in the rye either lol:D

Ill take that as a compliment my old duck al la range.

Absolutely! But I try not to dish them out too often.

Talking of dishes, this mention of duck a la range has got me nervous. I'm off! 😱

Andy 🙂

Some people have allready got back to me!:D they believe it's to obtain the IP address of the forum host as it would be in the return code.
Then put a hole in the code in order to spam the entire member list, only making it look like admin that's doing it.

Would probably look like........
hi it's northy here I have been having problems with the site and need you to input some information for me.

Exactly what they can get fom a site like this though is still a mystery.

eta somebody suggested watching out for emails requesting a very small donation to help the site. and that the indian IP addresses are probably spoofed allready.

These people are bloody clever

Last edited:
Hi!

It's 'honest' Andy HB here, can you all send me your bank and credit card details please.

Andy :D

This just posted

I reckon that's the most likely thing they are doing. What they will do is join the Forum and then use a bot to run through and gather all the active members user names. If there is no CAPTCHA on the PM function then they will be able to run down the list of members and PM them all. Two things which will stop this is a limit on the number of PM's that can be sent by a single user in a day and the fore mentioned CAPTCHA

This just posted

I reckon that's the most likely thing they are doing. What they will do is join the Forum and then use a bot to run through and gather all the active members user names. If there is no CAPTCHA on the PM function then they will be able to run down the list of members and PM them all. Two things which will stop this is a limit on the number of PM's that can be sent by a single user in a day and the fore mentioned CAPTCHA

That's great Paul, thank you. We have had people spamming the membership via PM in the past, but nothing I have noticed recently. As far as I'm aware, none of the ones I've caught recently have sent PMs to anyone other than themselves, but if anyone ever does receive a PM that appears dodgy, please forward it to a moderator.

PMs from me would normally have the 'lips' icon, like the one on this thread (pink lips on white background, rather than the other way round!).

Blimey good thing we have Northerner to look after us all. And Andy HB - I won't be sending you all my bank details!! Nice try though, nearly worked!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back