Plugging a Low Carb Diet for Type 2s

Anitram

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That was just about the exact path I took - except I am still on it 4 years later.
My first retest was done at 80 days, no longer diabetic, and then at 6 months I was at the top end of normal where I have stayed ever since. My actual blood glucose tests show I should be at a lower Hba1c, but not going to happen, I think, maybe my turnover of blood corpuscles is abnormal.

Spoon

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Whilst Low carb can and does work for some T2's, there are others (like me) which it provided false hope and I still need the pills. I eat lower carbs anyway but also couldn't do keto as not the greatest fan of meat and butter. It's all about finding what works for you.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
absolutely @Spoon

We have a wide variety of approaches on the forum, and we certainly recognise that there is no ‘one size fits all’ approach.

Of course it wasn‘t so long ago that low carb was almost unheard of, and very much frowned upon by HCPs (still raises an eyebrow with some)

I think it’s important to also recognise that ‘low carb’ isnt one thing - and that keto approaches are by no means essential for everyone. For some a little carb moderation just makes it easier to balance metabolism, meds and carbs.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Type two diabetes is - most likely - not just one thing either.
Low carb as a treatment, though, it goes back into the century before last - and Dr Atkins saw a lot of type twos go into remission - but of course a quack with a fad diet could not be believed.