Please help me make a decision regarding my results

Status
Not open for further replies.
qrisk 3. https://qrisk.org/

My postcode reduces my risk by 1.6 from a blank entry. Presumably others could raise risk by similar or possibly even greater amounts. If we are not typical for our postcode or have only just moved there for example that’s a significant red herring (in either direction). Diabetic control isn’t even considered despite being reported as highly relevant to cvd outcomes. Types of LDL (part of the only cholesterol measure used - total/Hdl ratio) are not considered either and different types are reported to have significantly different risk profiles, yet they are rarely measured. Different eating patterns produced different LDL patterns and the assumptions used in the calculations (not measurements usually) may or may not reflect all eating styles.

I get that tools are needed for population health. I get that nothing is perfect but this seems particularly blunt. A bit like bmi (which is part of the assessment btw rather than height to weight ratio for example).

I do admit with the facts disclosed on this forum (and using my postcode as a ”good” one) I can only manipulate a level of 7 ish and not as low as 5.5 for the OP. But this is under the magic 10 still.

@Jenny65 do you have further lifestyle changes you feel you can reasonably make? More activity? dietary changes? room for more weight loss? Can you ask for additional testing like an CAC scan to see what is actually happening in reality if you get as far as a consultant? Ultimately the decision is yours as is the risk it assumes. Some prefer one type of risk over another. If you do take the statins you have the option to stop or change types if you do feel they are detrimental to your mental well-being or diabetes management. You may be one of those that do fine on them.

At very least it will slow things down, not sure of answer if honest but weekly med & calcium tab was only suggested for 5 years.

Other things help condition like not smoking eating healthy & exercising daily.
I take issue with your confidence in the medication slowing it down. For some, unlucky ones, bisphosphates lead to brittle bones, which it is hoped it would prevent.

Not everything is assured.

Dexa scans are one tool in measuring bone health, by measuring how well the individual's bones display due to radiation, but many things impact bone health, including past medical history and potentially undiagnosed challenges.

I have just had a repeat DEXA and have some questions arising from it.

Hi interesting thread. I was prescribed Atorvastatin due to my Q risk score. I gave them a few weeks but found post exercise ( which I do at least 3 times a week) I got very sore muscles and aching limbs. I did discuss this with the GP Nurse and was advised to stop taking them and consider switching to a different brand. I have not done that yet but just wondered anyone else had similar and a switch solved the problem?

Switching brands does seem to help in a lot of cases. There are multiple types, and you may find you get no soreness at all with another?

let me put this into context. My dearest best friend ended her life 2 years ago in August. my uncle on realising where his life was heading took his own life rather than be somewhere for people with dementia having seen what my gran went through, then my own lovely clever beautiful mother when she ended up needing care for alziemers. I am sorry, but i will lose weight and play the game but I am done now If I end up on satins alive but not knowing the dat of the week then what is the point

That is a really heartbreaking post @Jenny65 :( :( :(

And I can completely understand your concerns given what you have seen in those close to you. Dementia is an absolute beast.

Have you had a negative reaction to statins in the past?

The relationship between statins and memory function is not all that clear. Some studies find a degree of risk, but it is less straightforward to establish a causal relationship. And other studies show either no effect at all, or even an improvement in memory function!

This is from the Mayo Clinic in the US

Neurological side effects

The FDA warns on statin labels that some people have developed memory loss or confusion while taking statins. These side effects reverse once you stop taking the medicines. There is limited evidence to prove a cause-effect relationship and several studies have found that statins have no effect on memory. Talk to your care team if you experience memory loss or confusion while taking statins.
There also has been evidence that statins may help with brain function — in people with dementia, for example. This is still being studied. Don't stop taking your statin medicine before talking to your health care professional.
The risk of significant effect on memory seems quite low (given the number of people who take them with no adverse effects whatever). But we do have some members of the forum who have had a bad reaction.

It’s a personal choice, and only you can decide for yourself - but the balance of available clinical trial evidence does support statins for primary prevention. And is much more significantly supportive once any kind of heart / circulatory disease has happened. The protective effect also appears to be cumulative - in that keeping things in the recommended ranges for as long as possible offers more protection than waiting and doing it later.

I spent many years being cautious (for some of the reasons people are offering on this thread), but have had no negative effects at all, and my lipids now tick all the right boxes. On reflection I probably should have tried them sooner.

I take issue with your confidence in the medication slowing it down. For some, unlucky ones, bisphosphates lead to brittle bones, which it is hoped it would prevent.

Not everything is assured.

Dexa scans are one tool in measuring bone health, by measuring how well the individual's bones display due to radiation, but many things impact bone health, including past medical history and potentially undiagnosed challenges.

I have just had a repeat DEXA and have some questions arising from it.

Take issue all you like, like all meds they work for majority not for some.

Be 5 years since started treatment so hope to get follow up scan later in year, so we shall see what's what then.

Take issue all you like, like all meds they work for majority not for some.

Be 5 years since started treatment so hope to get follow up scan later in year, so we shall see what's what then.

I think you can say as you say in this statement - works for the majority. I took issue with stating that, "....At very least it will slow things down...." when in reality for some, albeit a minority it can cause sometimes significant issues.

Each individual would be advised to weigh up their pros and cons for themselves, and carefully check potential interactions to both prescribed and OTC remedies and supplements.

Anyway, we've both said our piece.

let me put this into context. My dearest best friend ended her life 2 years ago in August. my uncle on realising where his life was heading took his own life rather than be somewhere for people with dementia having seen what my gran went through, then my own lovely clever beautiful mother when she ended up needing care for alziemers. I am sorry, but i will lose weight and play the game but I am done now If I end up on satins alive but not knowing the dat of the week then what is the point
This meta analysis suggests a protective effect of statins against dementia etc ....

'

Abstract​

Background and Aims: The impact of statin on dementia risk reduction has been a subject of debate over the last decade, but the evidence remains inconclusive. Therefore, we performed a meta-analysis of relevant observational studies to quantify the magnitude of the association between statin therapy and the risk of dementia. Methods: We systematically searched for relevant studies published from January 2000 to March 2018 using EMBASE, Google, Google Scholar, PubMed, Scopus, and Web of Science. Two authors performed study selection, data abstraction, and risk of bias assessment. We then extracted data from the selected studies and performed meta-analysis of observational studies using a random-effects model. Subgroup and sensitivity analyses were also conducted. Results: A total of 30 observational studies, including 9,162,509 participants (84,101 dementia patients), met the eligibility criteria. Patients with statin had a lower all-caused dementia risk than those without statin (risk ratio [RR] 0.83, 95% CI 0.79–0.87, I2 = 57.73%). The overall pooled reduction of Alzheimer disease in patients with statin use was RR 0.69 (95% CI 0.60–0.80, p < 0.0001), and the overall pooled RR of statin use and vascular dementia risk was RR 0.93 (95% CI 0.74–1.16, p = 0.54). Conclusion: This study suggests that the use of statin is significantly associated with a decreased risk of dementia. Future studies measuring such outcomes would provide useful information to patients, clinicians, and policymakers. Until further evidence is established, clinicians need to make sure that statin use should remain restricted to the treatment of cardiovascular disease.'

Yu-Chuan Li

Neuroepidemiology (2020) 54 (3): 214–226.
https://doi.org/10.1159/000503105

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back