Please help me make a decision regarding my results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I will of course be discussing my recent results with my GP but I am trying to review them myself first so I can be prepared with any questions and understand what they actually mean.

I have recently had a blood test for cholesterol as have suspected familial hypocholesteraemia.

My results came through on to the App today and I received a text message, saying my cholesterol is still elevated and if I wish to I can make an appointment to discuss lowering them with the GP. These are my results

GetAttachmentThumbnail
june.png

Last edited:
I have looked online and although my total cholesterol is high, my ratio is below 5 (it says that over 5 is considered high) My triglycerides are good and things seem to be improving in other areas. I just dont want to take medication if I can avoid it but really not sure if the overall figure is one of concern.

My liver blood tests results and my blood count etc are all normal

these were my previous results which were a higher ratio and triglycerides but lower overall figure

GetAttachmentThumbnail
swpt.png

Last edited:
just added again

Cholesterol, blood pressure and type 2 are all part of the same problem of metabolic syndrome. They are driven by high insulin and insulin resistance. There is a huge amount of controversy in science about cholesterol right now with recent studies and reviews of older ones seriously questioning the previously accepted thoughts on cholesterol, saturated fats and cardiovascular issues along with the true predictive values these measurements have.

At the very least using total cholesterol is pointless and you need breakdowns of the various aspects. Some are universally accepted as good.

I do not subscribe the the accepted medical mainstream position and neither do some medical experts. Much the same way low carb was viewed as an extreme position but is being more widely accepted the controversy on cholesterol may turn out to be the same or I/we may be proven as crackpot. Just bear in mind accepted medical knowledge changes all the time (leeches were once a thing!)

These links might get you questioning enough that you investigate both sides of the coin further before making your choices.

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/cholesterol-and-heart-disease-new-study/ from this study https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/6/e010401

And for anyone wanting to see a calculation of how their numbers actually compare and what they mean have a look at these

And

U.K. Version https://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

Us version https://www.hughcalc.org/chol2013.php

just added again
Those figures look way too high. 'Ratios' have been downgraded and the measures emphasised now are Total Chols minus HDL ( gives the level of so-called 'bad' chols) and the total amount if LDL ( the little blighters that are getting through the pores in our artery walls and depositing cholesterol inside causing the progression of foam cells, fatty streaks, atheromas and plaques).

Check out the QRisk calculator to estimate your chance of a heart attack in the next ten years. Anything over 10% and a Statin is recommended.

Those figures look way too high. 'Ratios' have been downgraded and the measures emphasised now are Total Chols minus HDL ( gives the level of so-called 'bad' chols) and the total amount if LDL ( the little blighters that are getting through the pores in our artery walls and depositing cholesterol inside causing the progression of foam cells, fatty streaks, atheromas and plaques).

Check out the QRisk calculator to estimate your chance of a heart attack in the next ten years. Anything over 10% and a Statin is recommended.
Where have ratios been downgraded please ? If anything i see more and more notice paid to them not less.

With regard to qrisk it’s based on populations not individuals. If I lived a few hundred meters another direction my risk changes………it takes no notice of control, duration, medications or even type of diabetes. Somewhat of a blunt tool imo

my doctor did my q risk, I have a normal blood pressure (low if anything) and my HBAC1 is now under 40 and my weight is normal too, fatty liver healed, all other blood tests good which is why I am confused

Attachments

• qrisk.jpg
    qrisk.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 9
sorry that didnt print well its 5.5%

Cholesterol, blood pressure and type 2 are all part of the same problem of metabolic syndrome. They are driven by high insulin and insulin resistance. There is a huge amount of controversy in science about cholesterol right now with recent studies and reviews of older ones seriously questioning the previously accepted thoughts on cholesterol, saturated fats and cardiovascular issues along with the true predictive values these measurements have.

At the very least using total cholesterol is pointless and you need breakdowns of the various aspects. Some are universally accepted as good.

I do not subscribe the the accepted medical mainstream position and neither do some medical experts. Much the same way low carb was viewed as an extreme position but is being more widely accepted the controversy on cholesterol may turn out to be the same or I/we may be proven as crackpot. Just bear in mind accepted medical knowledge changes all the time (leeches were once a thing!)

These links might get you questioning enough that you investigate both sides of the coin further before making your choices.

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/cholesterol-and-heart-disease-new-study/ from this study https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/6/6/e010401

And for anyone wanting to see a calculation of how their numbers actually compare and what they mean have a look at these

And

U.K. Version https://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

Us version https://www.hughcalc.org/chol2013.php
used the calulator

first one said
• We consider triglycerides of 1.3 mmol/L as moderate. Many studies suggest triglycerides below 100 mg/dL (1.13 mmol/L) as optimal. When on a low carb diet, we find most of the time this pattern is associated with one of two common reasons: (1) not being 12-14 hours water-only fasted before the blood test or (2) having a coffee sensitivity. Other factors can be too much refined/liquid fat or "carb creep" (for more detail on these, see CholesterolCode.com/high-tg.)

• We would consider your HDL of 1.62 mmol/L as strong.

• We'd consider your LDL cholesterol as in range for what we'd call a "Standard Hyper-responder". This is common for many going on a low carb diet. For more on hyper-responders, visit cholesterolcode.com/hyper-responder-faq. For a deeper explanation on our proposed mechanisms for this when powered by fat, see CholesterolCode.com/model.

Then I did the UK one

Your Total Cholesterol of 7.70 is HIGH RISK​

Your LDL of 5.48 is VERY HIGH RISK​

Your HDL of 1.62 is OPTIMAL​

Your Triglyceride level of 1.30 is NORMAL​

RATIOS:​

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 4.75 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) GOOD​

Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.296 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) AT RISK​

Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.802 - (preferably under 1.74, ideally under 0.87) IDEAL​

I did fast for 12 hours but finished eating at 8pm 12 hours earlier as was at a 30th birthday celebration so ate a lot of different foods just before the fast and alcohol and did have one cappuccino just before the test as forgot and craved my morning coffee

I was wondering after reading that comment about reactivity to coffee, I do drink a lot of it, could changing to tea and restricting to one cup of coffee a day have a positive impact on my cholesterol too do you think?

My surgery has just recently moved to using ratios and not total-hdl.

Then I did the UK one

Your Total Cholesterol of 7.70 is HIGH RISK​

Your LDL of 5.48 is VERY HIGH RISK​

Your HDL of 1.62 is OPTIMAL​

Your Triglyceride level of 1.30 is NORMAL​

RATIOS:​

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 4.75 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) GOOD​

Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.296 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) AT RISK​

Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.802 - (preferably under 1.74, ideally under 0.87) IDEAL​

Agree with @Burylancs that those figures look high, as you mention FH in your opening post I'm sure usual treatment is statins to keep your cholesterol under control & to prevent cardiovascular events.

in your position I'd be taking advice of your medical team rather than laymen such as here on this forum.

Agree with @Bury that those figures look high, as you mention FH in your opening post I'm sure usual treatment is statins to keep your cholesterol under control & to prevent cardiovascular events, in your position I'd be taking advice of your medical team rather than laymen such as here on this forum.
I will be speaking to my GP to discuss my results but it was my own GP who did the Q Risk and said as it was 5.5 I could wait and see if I can get it down myself before going down the medication route. I guess it looks like it will be statins, its a memory of how they affected my parents that is in my head. My mum was very achy and lost her energy on them and then developed Alzheimer's, not sure if related but it is in my head to be honest

I will be speaking to my GP to discuss my results but it was my own GP who did the Q Risk and said as it was 5.5 I could wait and see if I can get it down myself before going down the medication route. I guess it looks like it will be statins, its a memory of how they affected my parents that is in my head. My mum was very achy and lost her energy on them and then developed Alzheimer's, not sure if related but it is in my head to be honest

Statins have been around a long time & have to be one of the most researched drugs in modern times, consensus amongst experts is they are safe & very few people get side effects.

On this forum there's loads of members take them with no problem at all.

There are a number of different statins and some don't suit some people but changing to another one can solve the problem if they do get side effects. Just a some people don't get on with some blood pressure meds but a different one is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back