PIP Assessment

The Posts are not contradictory they are there to express the lack of concern and understanding of the people employed to decide who will or will not be granted benefits like attendance allowance.
Please understand that this is not entirely aimed at you as you appear to be coping , the concern expressed is for those that really do need help.
I’m still confused. You said “once you are on insulin and begin to suffer intermittent Hypo's you need to have someone to monitor you”

I am on insulin. I do have intermittent hypos. So I need someone to monitor me?

I’m still confused. You said “once you are on insulin and begin to suffer intermittent Hypo's you need to have someone to monitor you”

I'm not sure I can help with your confusion but to clarify.
Insulin needs to be used with great caution . Many Diabetics suffer inconsistency with their response to the insulin
and therefore the use of a CGM is advised. Going from a type 2 not on insulin to being someone who is type 2 on insulin I have needed to start using a CGM.
I am personally concerned for people who do not have the support of a partner to support them during a Hypo and feel that Diabetes should be recognised as a true disability by our services and support systems.
I personally hope you at least have a CGM from your doctor and I hope in future our Health services can provide improved support for people who live on their own with Diabetes.

I'm not sure I can help with your confusion but to clarify.
Insulin needs to be used with great caution . Many Diabetics suffer inconsistency with their response to the insulin
I think that, as insulin dependent diabetics, we tread a fine line between recognising that some people might need help, and pushing back against having our independence taken away. I'd be very angry if someone suggested I didn’t ride my horse out on my own in case I had a hypo, I feel I own the responsibility to check my BG levels, make sure I've eaten appropriately, and set my Libre alarms high enough to alert me when I can still take action. And if I’ve got an important appointment to get to, I make sure I’ve got my BGs on track several hours before I set out.
But I do appreciate that people who have lost their hypo awareness, or have less stable levels, have a more difficult time. In which case, if it made their lives so difficult that they needed supervision, surely it would be a case of filling in the PIP form to explain clearly what the impact on their daily lives is, and why they need help with it. It’s not any particular condition that gives you access to PIp, I think, but the impact of any condition on your daily life.

I would just like to add that I don't see myself as "disabled" in any way as a result of having diabetes. I can do everything I did before, I live mostly on my own, I exercise on my own, I often go out for a walk late at night on my own or to tend my horses on my own. Some days I have several hypos and other days I don't have any and I average just under 1 a day. I have very good diabetes management but despite my best efforts, hypos still happen. although they are usually reasonably mild and I am very confident about treating and managing them.
I am lucky to have Libre but I managed fine before I got it and sometimes I choose to have a little break from it because it can be quite intensive having all that data. I will admit that I feel vulnerable the first night without it, but that is because it has made me more reliant on it, not because anything has changed with my diabetes and I can manage fine with finger pricks, but Libre is so very convenient. I have spent a lot of time and effort, learning to manage my diabetes well because I am a naturally independent person and really dislike the idea of needing help, so I make sure that I know what I need to do to keep myself safe and independent.
Everyone is different and as @Robin says, the PIP is designed to assess the impact any condition has on an individual rather than make broad judgements about how it affects people with it in general.
I certainly felt my hackles rise a bit when I read that comment about needing to be supervised or monitored due to hypos, because I absolutely don't, nor would I want to be, unless I was also very ill with something else that made it extremely difficult for me to manage my diabetes myself.

I am personally concerned for people who do not have the support of a partner to support them during a Hypo
What are you suggesting I do though, apply for funding to pay a full time carer to live with me?

Hi Lucy,
The last thing I want to do is be prescriptive as we all manage our situations differently.
I think this whole subject is interesting in how people are granted PIP and other financial help on an individual basis especially when Diabetes is such an individual experience and often part of a situation.
My personal experience is that services are overstretched in this country and I have had to push to get support for diabetes and other medical issues. I have found there is often more help than we are made aware of and Forum's like this are a great place to share information when we find out what is available.
I hope that you can remain independent but if you need some support I hope you can get that support and share your experience with others on this forum for the benefit of all.

Wishing you
Good Luck
Vic

The last thing I want to do is be prescriptive as we all manage our situations differently.
You were prescriptive in your first post in saying I can’t live alone or go walking alone and need someone to monitor me because I live alone and use insulin and have hypos.

PIP isn’t going to cover a live in carer. I haven’t applied for pip based on diabetes and I didn’t mention diabetes in my application because it wasn’t relevant.

Got the text today confirming my pip application was successful. :D I don’t know what I’ve been awarded but any level of pip will help with having reduced hours at work and as it qualifies me for a disabled railcard which will help so much now that I’m not able to drive long distances but have to travel them by train regularly to visit my family.

Congratulations @Lucyr !

So pleased for you 🙂

That’s rubbish @MikeyBikey

The only other annoyance I had is that the recommendation is for a short 2 year award as “my conditions may improve”. I’ve had ME for 2.5 years now so I’d say that’s pretty stable. If it does come out as a 2 year award it won’t be a renewal invite it will be treated as a brand new application in 2 years time. So hoping the decision maker ups the length a bit.
Unless you have to take to tribunal you will get a review in whatever time they say. I’ve had reviews in 18mths some 3yrs after 4 reviews they awarded for 10 yrs as my brain won’t repair any more after stroke!

Diabetes is referred to as a life long Disability , once you are on insulin and begin to suffer intermittent Hypo's you need to have someone to monitor you as you shouldn't be trying to walk around and passing out.
You may also need to get to an appointment but cannot drive because your levels have dropped below 5mmol so you need assistance to get to the appointment and get you food to bring your levels back up.
Diabetics on insulin need to manage their condition carefully and the DWP needs to be educated on the condition, They should not be making decisions on the clear lack of knowledge and lack of guidance they display.
Perhaps it's about time the DWP should work with Diabetes Org to understand this disabling condition
I’m on insulin and don’t consider my diabetes to be a disability in any way. (NB I am only speaking for myself) I monitor my own blood sugar, if it gets a bit low I eat a couple of jelly babies. I’ve never passed out. I certainly don’t need anyone’s assistance to get to appointments. There’s plenty of diabetics who live normal lives. Although I know there are also plenty of diabetics for whom it is a disability. But really we’re not all disabled

No, I assume you monitor yourself and take appropriate action

Unless you have to take to tribunal you will get a review in whatever time they say. I’ve had reviews in 18mths some 3yrs after 4 reviews they awarded for 10 yrs as my brain won’t repair any more after stroke!
I got my award 2 months after applying, awarded for 3 years

No, I assume you monitor yourself and take appropriate action
The person my point was too was saying that I am not able to monitor myself I need someone with me, which is impractical when I live alone. They kept saying “once you are on insulin you need someone to monitor you” I.e a full time live in carer.

The person my point was too was saying that I am not able to monitor myself I need someone with me, which is impractical when I live alone. They kept saying “once you are on insulin you need someone to monitor you” I.e a full time live in carer.
But you don’t, that’s ridiculous. I’m on insulin and don’t need someone else to monitor me. My daughter’s best friend (adult) who is type 1 and is on huge amounts of insulin monitors herself. If you are elderly, disabled or have special needs, then you may need support

OMG Lucy - whatever is a T1 lady such as me supposed to do when their husband happens to need an operation and be an inpatient? ROFLMAO - done everything necessary myself as per normal - just the same as you do of course! No way has either husband ever 'actually' treated MY diabetes, though he is better at getting rid of bubbles in pump reservoirs than me - plus no way Pedro can I unscrew the plastic bit of a Libre these days, just don't have enough strength in my wrists any more. Haven't yet invested in an 'unscrewer' - house still has doors with working hinges which is what I've traditionally done same as my mum showed me how, well prior to 1971 ! (Though at that time, their house had very solid Victorian wooden doors, which modern ones certainly ain't!)

OMG Lucy - whatever is a T1 lady such as me supposed to do when their husband happens to need an operation and be an inpatient? ROFLMAO - done everything necessary myself as per normal - just the same as you do of course! No way has either husband ever 'actually' treated MY diabetes, though he is better at getting rid of bubbles in pump reservoirs than me - plus no way Pedro can I unscrew the plastic bit of a Libre these days, just don't have enough strength in my wrists any more. Haven't yet invested in an 'unscrewer' - house still has doors with working hinges which is what I've traditionally done same as my mum showed me how, well prior to 1971 ! (Though at that time, their house had very solid Victorian wooden doors, which modern ones certainly ain't!)
Yes it used to be the standard way of opening a immoveable lid on a jam or pickle jar.

But you don’t, that’s ridiculous. I’m on insulin and don’t need someone else to monitor me. My daughter’s best friend (adult) who is type 1 and is on huge amounts of insulin monitors herself. If you are elderly, disabled or have special needs, then you may need support
I know. That’s what I’ve spent the whole thread saying.

Back