Pill inspired by leopard tortoise could replace diabetic injections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Scientists have developed a “needle pill” that could allow diabetics to take insulin without the need for daily injections.

The pea-sized capsule contains a small needle made of solid, compressed insulin, which is injected into the stomach wall after the capsule has been swallowed.

When tested in pigs, the device worked consistently and was able to deliver equivalent doses of insulin to those required by someone with diabetes.

Giovanni Traverso, an assistant professor at Harvard Medical School-affiliated Brigham and Women’s hospital and a co-author of the study, said: “Our motivation is to make it easier for patients to take medication, particularly medications that require an injection. The classic one is insulin, but there are many others.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science...rd-tortoise-could-replace-diabetic-injections

"In tests in pigs, the researchers said they were able to deliver five milligrams of insulin – comparable to the amount that a patient with type 2 diabetes would need to inject." - Erm, which Type 2s? I've known Type 2s here whose insulin requirements have been between 20 and 200 units! 😱 Would they have to swallow loads of pills, and if you do, would you need to take into account the amount of sugar incorporated into the pills? 😉

I still think that it is one of the biggest misconceptions about injections - that the chief barrier to them is pain and fear. I know this fear can be true of many people, but I bet that there are far fewer who remain fearful after their first few, and even fewer who find them significantly painful. Of course, I can only truly have personal experience of that, but it's honestly something I very rarely read as being a big problem. Seems clever, but a complicated solution to a problem that may not really exist in sufficient numbers of people to make it viable.

What is a milligram in units?

But aside from that, the people who insist on trying to find non-injection ways of taking insulin have absolutely no clue how variable insulin dosing is, do they! Or about dose adjustment according to what you eat. And has it occurred to them that making the casing out of sugar effectively neutralises some of the insulin they are putting in! (OK probably only a tiny bit, but still, couldn't they find anything else to make it out of that would dissolve?!)

Surely many pills are made of methylcellulose rather than sugar? The only problem is that although that stuff is neutral (so far as I know), it tastes foul, so you don't want such pills dissolving before you swallow them. I learned the hard way not to take my pills with a hot drink. 🙄

This is another idea which is about as desirable as sand in your mayo. 😱

Yes, the thought of four times daily injections sounds horrific, but insulin needles are so fine nine times out of ten you miss nerve endings and don’t feel a thing. I bolussed at dinner this evening with a new pen with a new needle, and it was completely painless.

Newspapers don’t help by describing the struggle with painful injections, because they think they are like flu jabs, which go into muscle with much larger needles, and are painful. Or at least described as such by wimps.

I agree, Northie. It’s an answer to a question very few of us ask. I can’t imagine it being reliable in any event.

Even as a needle-phobe, I'd rather stick with my injections!

But then, I've taken capsules which were supposed to disolve in half an hour, which were still in my stomach hours later (I only found this out when I threw up after eating an off apricot one day and a capsule came up whole, 13 hours after I'd swallowed it!). So, random doses of insulin at random intervals, anyone ... ? 😱

Strange, indeed, there is no such thing as a standard quantity for an injection for a T2.
To answer a previous question, my Humulin I pen holds 3ml of insulin with 100 units per ml. I use 60 units per day, so about 2g per injection. Obviously my mental arithmatic was a bit off, 60 units is only . 6g(assuming 1ml=1g). I would have to eat a lot of carbs to need 5g insulin.

Another waste of resources, can't see how it coul ever work.

Last edited:
Even as a needle-phobe, I'd rather stick with my injections!

But then, I've taken capsules which were supposed to disolve in half an hour, which were still in my stomach hours later (I only found this out when I threw up after eating an off apricot one day and a capsule came up whole, 13 hours after I'd swallowed it!). So, random doses of insulin at random intervals, anyone ... ? 😱

And at the other end, I once reported to my Ulerative Colitis consultant that I’d found an Asacol tablet in the loo after flushing. Hadn’t had time to dissolve in the colon where it was supposed to work, I suppose. Great way to lose weight, mind. Intake to output in two hours.

So I agree with your comment, Juliet. The unpredictability of our guts makes this a highly dubious proposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back