Phone scanning Libre vs Reader scanning Libre

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was every 5 minutes not every minute?
Dexcom takes a reading every 5 minutes, I think Libre might be every one minute

Dexcom takes a reading every 5 minutes, I think Libre might be every one minute
Libre 3 is every minute apartellty libre 2 Is every 5 mintutes

Libre is calibrated to normal levels (I’m not sure what levels are regarded as normal in this sense) so the Libre might read higher at high numbers and lower at low numbers
I recently asked in a thread what does Abbott mean by "in range" (ie normal) low and high levels and @everydayupsanddowns provided a link to an International Symposium where, after due research and various learned papers, the Symposium agreed normal was 4-10 for adults. I have assumed that Abbott have adopted that range, but I can't find anything that absolutely definitively confirms this is what Abbott means by 'normal'.

To be strictly accurate it would be 3.9-10, since these numbers are in mmol/L and the Symposium used both US units as well as European, which convert at 18:1, ie 3.9 x 18=70 and 10x 18=180 with the US range being 70-180mg/dl. The nos 70 and 180 are, without doubt, a rounding off of the original figures calculated to several decimal places. It is so much simpler for us to just adopt the round number of 4.
The Symposium was looking at aspects of diabetes clinical care when using new technology such as CGMs and how to interpret the data from this new technology. Their start point was to agree what is 'normal' or 'in range'.
I thought it was every 5 minutes not every minute?
No, Libre 2 is broadcasting readings every minute (at least - there could be more going on within the sensor that we are unaware of). Those readings are being transmitted by Bluetooth and there are apps that can catch those readings and convert them to CGM. In practical terms keeping up with changes every minute is too onerous to be sensible and needs at least a 5 fold increase in data storage, before interpreting that increased data. So most apps use 5 minute intervals, which is still up to 288 readings per day and effectively continuous.

I recently asked in a thread what does Abbott mean by "in range" (ie normal) low and high levels and @everydayupsanddowns provided a link to an International Symposium where, after due research and various learned papers, the Symposium agreed normal was 4-10 for adults. I have assumed that Abbott have adopted that range, but I can't find anything that absolutely definitively confirms this is what Abbott means by 'normal'.

To be strictly accurate it would be 3.9-10, since these numbers are in mmol/L and the Symposium used both US units as well as European, which convert at 18:1, ie 3.9 x 18=70 and 10x 18=180 with the US range being 70-180mg/dl. The nos 70 and 180 are, without doubt, a rounding off of the original figures calculated to several decimal places. It is so much simpler for us to just adopt the round number of 4.
The Symposium was looking at aspects of diabetes clinical care when using new technology such as CGMs and how to interpret the data from this new technology. Their start point was to agree what is 'normal' or 'in range'.

No, Libre 2 is broadcasting readings every minute (at least - there could be more going on within the sensor that we are unaware of). Those readings are being transmitted by Bluetooth and there are apps that can catch those readings and convert them to CGM. In practical terms keeping up with changes every minute is too onerous to be sensible and needs at least a 5 fold increase in data storage, before interpreting that increased data. So most apps use 5 minute intervals, which is still up to 288 readings per day and effectively continuous.
That's confusing because albbort say every 5 minutes

No, I don't think you are confused. Although you are taking readings within 1 minute, perhaps within 20 seconds, you don't know whether the first reading was within the previous minute for the sensor and the second reading was from the next minute for the sensor!
When does sensor time start??? This philosophical (and unanswerable) question could become a great time waster!
I forgot the timing from when I originally scanned the Libre to start the sensor made a difference , I assumed that it would be from the start of every minute and not possibly half way through the minute!

Sorry if that makes no sense

I forgot the timing from when I originally scanned the Libre to start the sensor made a difference , I assumed that it would be from the start of every minute and not possibly half way through the minute!

Sorry if that makes no sense
Makes perfect sense; your full minute could be out of step with the sensor's full minute.🙂

That's confusing because albbort say every 5 minutes
If you could kindly tell me where you found that I'd be pleased to look further. I'm very confident that it is generating output every minute because, when I'm closely monitoring from Diabox my BG while close to hypo, I switch from 5 mins to 1 min and watch the change of direction from down to up. This is one of the ways I stop myself from over-reacting and taking too much glucose with a consequent rebound into hyper.

If you could kindly tell me where you found that I'd be pleased to look further. I'm very confident that it is generating output every minute because, when I'm closely monitoring from Diabox my BG while close to hypo, I switch from 5 mins to 1 min and watch the change of direction from down to up. This is one of the ways I stop myself from over-reacting and taking too much glucose with a consequent rebound into hyper.
maybe its just the offically libre app and reader then. because I thought that was the big thing they were making about libre 3 being every mintute

maybe its just the offically libre app and reader then. because I thought that was the big thing they were making about libre 3 being every mintute
I think the "big thing" about Libre 3 is that it will provide continous output rather than flash or scanning, to get your readings. A 2nd aspect is that the sensor is smaller. In reality this is just Freestyle catching up with other sensors by providing CGM which some others already do, in what seems to be a growing market. Growing in the sense of other providers and growing in the sense that the technology exists and providers need to keep up; there is market demand and the more it is publicised (not least on this forum) the more that demand will be - world wide.

I think the "big thing" about Libre 3 is that it will provide continous output rather than flash or scanning, to get your readings. A 2nd aspect is that the sensor is smaller. In reality this is just Freestyle catching up with other sensors by providing CGM which some others already do, in what seems to be a growing market. Growing in the sense of other providers and growing in the sense that the technology exists and providers need to keep up; there is market demand and the more it is publicised (not least on this forum) the more that demand will be - world wide.
they were also ateritsing that it was ever minute compared to every 5 minutes though. i know cgm is the main thing but they seemed to be using that as another big atertising point.

Well, I haven't seen that and I know for certain that Libre 2 is already generating a continuous (minute by minute) output. Let's move on.😉

yes sorry i guess that the hacks

I wouldn’t be in the least surprised at such a minor difference - ypu can get that with two fingerpricks using different fingers.

What you should be worried about is being 6.6 (0r 6.4) with a directly down arrow means that you are dropping quickly. Eat a couple of JBs is what I’d do with that.

I wouldn’t be in the least surprised at such a minor difference - ypu can get that with two fingerpricks using different fingers.

What you should be worried about is being 6.6 (0r 6.4) with a directly down arrow means that you are dropping quickly. Eat a couple of JBs is what I’d do with that.
Thanks

You can use CGM on the Libre 2 with Diabox, which will read the sensor every 1 or 5 minute interval

Attachments

• Gear 4.jpeg
    Gear 4.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back