Pesky postprandial spikes (and some other bits

But I don't fear carbs - and you have no idea what I went through when trying to carry a child to term on a 'healthy' high carb diet. Nor will I elaborate on that subject.

I’m very sorry to hear you had problems and I hope they were resolved safely for both you and baby, but carbs don’t cause problems in pregnancy. Spreading misinformation like that could cause harm and unnecessary worry.

@rebrascora okay, I'm going to make peanut butter on toast for breakfast my new mission in life :D! I did try Fiasp before and I really didn't like it; I couldn't get down from highs, and I think because I was someone who found out they were diabetic from a really nasty DKA, this just freaked me right out. I might be in a better place to try it again now though; my DAFNE leaders switched both my basal (Lantus to Levemir) and bolus (Novo to Fiasp) insulin in the same week, which looking back was a bit crazy, no wonder I was struggling with Fiasp! I love the Levemir though, and actually my basal testing this week so far is showing that my Levemir doses are spot on, so that feels like a good starting place for making other changes. Luckily I work from home so I am able to put time an energy into my BG homework 🙂

@helli and @Inka that is really interesting that we all seem to have the same experiences of sugars high AM; generally, if I wake up and they're around 5-5.5 I'm going to have a good BG day. If they're at 8+ when I wake up, they're going to be a pain and not come down for AGES. It's encouraging to hear that you've both found a way forward from that situation.

@Proud to be erratic I have ordered Think Like A Pancreas and look forward to reading it :thankyou:

Again, super appreciative of the support here! I've felt in my journey so far that the first year I got loads of support from my local healthcare team (and I think the honeymooning helped), but the last six months have definitely been more challenging - these posts have reminded me that even though we can feel like an expert in T1 as we deal with it every day, there is still so much to learn from others!

Back