PatientAccess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needed our NHS numbers ( I mean the one each by that 🙂 ) our email address and a chosen password and it's a good job we did register for the NHS App since one cannot order a prescription at out GP surgery by any other means as far as I currently know. Used to be able to ring a place in Coventry to access a prescription ordering service for a lot of GP surgeries but that finished last week.

Patient Access has been sending codes for last couple of months, it's just another safety feature that most organisations use, my bank has done so for some time now.

Patient Access has been sending codes for last couple of months, it's just another safety feature that most organisations use, my bank has done so for some time now.
I understand that - to a certain degree.

But my issue about this is why is it acceptable for us to use the NHS app from a fingerprint login alone, yet needs a code sent to my phone for patient access? When all is considered what is so sensitive about my medical records or prescription requests that makes this extra layer of security necessary for one system but not another? I can see that the extra layer of security might be necessary for members of the Royal Family to deter grubby media intrusion, but in general .... ?

The real problem is that thoughtless and inconsiderate constraints put in place by thoughtless and inconsiderate legal advisors to big organisations results in blatant unnecessary inconvenience to many, bordering on denial of basic access needs. This is a growing problem in so many simple activities. On the odd occasion that a genuine call to me from my bank starts with a simple introduction of themselves, followed by demands that I confirm my identity to them - even though they haven't and can't confirm their identity to me. The last couple of times I've told them I won't play and to write to me and annotate my records that I generally won't take "cold calls".

I understand that - to a certain degree.

But my issue about this is why is it acceptable for us to use the NHS app from a fingerprint login alone, yet needs a code sent to my phone for patient access? When all is considered what is so sensitive about my medical records or prescription requests that makes this extra layer of security necessary for one system but not another? I can see that the extra layer of security might be necessary for members of the Royal Family to deter grubby media intrusion, but in general .... ?

The real problem is that thoughtless and inconsiderate constraints put in place by thoughtless and inconsiderate legal advisors to big organisations results in blatant unnecessary inconvenience to many, bordering on denial of basic access needs. This is a growing problem in so many simple activities. On the odd occasion that a genuine call to me from my bank starts with a simple introduction of themselves, followed by demands that I confirm my identity to them - even though they haven't and can't confirm their identity to me. The last couple of times I've told them I won't play and to write to me and annotate my records that I generally won't take "cold calls".

Fingerprints are unique so it's a good safe level of security for log in purposes.

Web is full of fraudsters trying to steal our identity so even for medical records really don't have any real issues with extra security being added to prevent them gaining access, but can appreciate that for some like OP of thread it can make matters challenging.

No bank should ever cold call so never accept calls supposedly from them, own bank warns customers that they never do this & never ask for bank details over the phone, so so many people fall for this scam hence why most banks warn customers about such scams.

Guess it's world we live in now @Proud to be erratic where things have moved online supposedly for all our conveniences, but obviously not for all.

Fingerprints are unique so it's a good safe level of security for log in purposes.
Yes @nonethewiser, I do understand that things have moved on and that scammers and fraudsters abound, benefitting from the concealment of today's tech.

What I dislike so much is why can't Patient Access make it possible to allow one to log on through the security screen that a finger print seems to provide for the NHS app. The developers of these software extras and the management that sanction this extra level of security are cocooned in an environment where the tech is not a burden to them and have far too little appreciation that the unintended consequences can be major impediments that can totally outweigh the perceived benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back