Pasta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyb89

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi there

I know this is a stupid question, I haven't touched pasta in two months since my T2 diagnosed, I've been on 1500mg metformin prolonged release ever since and my bloods are slowly getting better.

I have completely cut out sweets, crisps anything junk, no potatos, rice, pasta or high carbs lost a stone and quit smoking

But the one thing I crave I's a good spaghetti bologense, any suggestions

Last edited:
Hi there

I know this is a stupid question, I haven't touched pasta in two months since my T2 diagnosed, I've been on 1500mg metformin prolonged release ever since and my bloods are slowly getting better.

I have completely cut out sweets, crisps anything junk, no potatos, rice, pasta or high carbs lost a stone and quit smoking

There has been a recent discussion on pasta.
I use edamame bean or black bean pasta which is much lower carb than the standard stuff. You don't need to cook it for as long and it is a bit more pricey than the normal one. I have bought online or you can find in the free from section of the supermarket.

Sometimes Aldi have it too.

The other thing you can do if your bloods are better is to test it. Have a small portion of spaghetti (maybe half the standard 75g recommended portion) with plenty of bolognese, and check your blood sugars before eating it and 2 hours after you start eating, to see if your body can handle a small portion with a higher percentage of the sauce.

Sometimes Aldi have it too.

The other thing you can do if your bloods are better is to test it. Have a small portion of spaghetti (maybe half the standard 75g recommended portion) with plenty of bolognese, and check your blood sugars before eating it and 2 hours after you start eating, to see if your body can handle a small portion with a higher percentage of the sauce.
I shall try that, thank you, I b0ught some wholewheat pasta but seems higher in sugars and carbs

Here are some pasta choices:
https://carbzone.co.uk/collections/pasta/products/low-carb-pasta-fusilli-250g - 6g carbs per portion - I preboil mine and then add it to slow cooked recipes. I used it yesterday in a chicken casserole.
Screen Shot 2022-09-10 at 7.53.19 PM.png
Konjac varieties:
Eatwater Spaghetti Zero Carb. This one has a slightly fishy smell out of the pack but if you rinse it thoroughly and then microwave it for a minute and then rinse again in boiling water before using it in the recipe by mixing it thoroughly with the sauce in the pan - it then absorbs flavour and works very well - it isn't one to pile in the bottom of the plate/bowl as a white pile of spaghetti and then topping with bolognese however - unless you stir it into very garlicky oil first because it doesn't have any flavour of itself. It is a very good approximation in texture and appearance and requires very little electricity/power/time to prepare and you can have a BIG helping and feel very full - I share a pouch with my non-diabetic husband and he likes it.
YUHO Shirataki style noodles. I used these before I found the Eatwater ones - they are more like asian style glass noodles in texture and appearance but they worked okay in spaghetti bolognese - prepared in a similar manner to the Eatwater ones and again zero carbs.

Vegetable alternatives.
Courgettes - if you use a lemon zester like this:
Screen Shot 2022-09-11 at 2.09.48 PM.png
you can make courgetti very easily and just plunge it into boiling salted water and then drain quickly and add to the bolognese or if you prefer a little more bite you can stir it straight into the hot sauce in the pan before serving.

Here are some pasta choices:
https://carbzone.co.uk/collections/pasta/products/low-carb-pasta-fusilli-250g - 6g carbs per portion - I preboil mine and then add it to slow cooked recipes. I used it yesterday in a chicken casserole.
View attachment 22124
Konjac varieties:
Eatwater Spaghetti Zero Carb. This one has a slightly fishy smell out of the pack but if you rinse it thoroughly and then microwave it for a minute and then rinse again in boiling water before using it in the recipe by mixing it thoroughly with the sauce in the pan - it then absorbs flavour and works very well - it isn't one to pile in the bottom of the plate/bowl as a white pile of spaghetti and then topping with bolognese however - unless you stir it into very garlicky oil first because it doesn't have any flavour of itself. It is a very good approximation in texture and appearance and requires very little electricity/power/time to prepare and you can have a BIG helping and feel very full - I share a pouch with my non-diabetic husband and he likes it.
YUHO Shirataki style noodles. I used these before I found the Eatwater ones - they are more like asian style glass noodles in texture and appearance but they worked okay in spaghetti bolognese - prepared in a similar manner to the Eatwater ones and again zero carbs.

Vegetable alternatives.
Courgettes - if you use a lemon zester like this:
View attachment 22125
you can make courgetti very easily and just plunge it into boiling salted water and then drain quickly and add to
Hi there

Hi there

Well done JohnnyB losing a stone and quitting smoking. Have you cut out bread as well? I am finding that the hardest to give up. I have cut back on bread though and will have one slice rather than 2 when I do have it. I eat wholemeal bread. You have done ever so well in cutting out the foods you have. Sugar is a biggie to give up. Perhaps have some spaghetti, say 95 grams (30grams of carbs) and test your blood sugars 2 hours after consumption. A low carb diet I believe is 150 grams of carbs a day or less.

Well done JohnnyB losing a stone and quitting smoking. Have you cut out bread as well? I am finding that the hardest to give up. I have cut back on bread though and will have one slice rather than 2 when I do have it. I eat wholemeal bread. You have done ever so well in cutting out the foods you have. Sugar is a biggie to give up. Perhaps have some spaghetti, say 95 grams (30grams of carbs) and test your blood sugars 2 hours after consumption. A low carb diet I believe is 150 grams of carbs a day or less.
Thank you so so much, I'll be honest, I've started using warboutons nimble Danish loaf as it's lower in carbs and sugars, seems to be okay I have toast and sandwiches with it. I could never cut out bread
I usually with eat my meal and go for twenty minute cycle ride

Low carb is generally regarded as less than 130g per day TOTAL carbs, including drinks and food.

Low carb is generally regarded as less than 130g per day TOTAL carbs, including drinks and food.
Thank you Leadinglights, i wasnt sure what my total was meant to be per day, as there so many conflicting storied on what you can eat, ive been having about 120g a day

Thank you Leadinglights, i wasnt sure what my total was meant to be per day, as there so many conflicting storied on what you can eat, ive been having about 120g a day
Many do find they need to tweak the amount depending on what blood glucose reading they get. Everybody's tolerance to carbohydrates is different so some may need to go lower or change the type of carbohydrate they have. Some find bread is OK but not rice or pasta for example.
It can also depend on the amount of exercise you do and what meds you take. But 120g is a good starting point, it is better to cut down slowly as some may get issues with eyes and nerves if they cut down too quickly from a high carb intake.
I went to 70g per day immediately and had problems with my eyes which too some months to return to normal. I only found out by reading something on here which explained it.

Thank you so so much, I'll be honest, I've started using warboutons nimble Danish loaf as it's lower in carbs and sugars, seems to be okay I have toast and sandwiches with it. I could never cut out bread
I usually with eat my meal and go for twenty minute cycle ride
Good tip. I will try the nimble bread. I love toast. Fab too that you go cycling. I am having mobility issues at present but can always go on my cubii - a seated elliptical trainer - but I hadn't thought of doing it after eating. So can see myself doing that now. Every effort helps us. Go well.

Ah, I remember now. You actually told me a week or so ago. Great tips you offer. Thanks. There's so much info re the low carb approach and often conflicting.

Many do find they need to tweak the amount depending on what blood glucose reading they get. Everybody's tolerance to carbohydrates is different so some may need to go lower or change the type of carbohydrate they have. Some find bread is OK but not rice or pasta for example.
It can also depend on the amount of exercise you do and what meds you take. But 120g is a good starting point, it is better to cut down slowly as some may get issues with eyes and nerves if they cut down too quickly from a high carb intake.
I went to 70g per day immediately and had problems with my eyes which too some months to return to normal. I only found out by reading something on here which explained it.
I've been having the same problems, not with my eyes but more sometimes feeling woozy headed, doctors have changed my tablets, but my original hba1c was only 63, I did the same when I first started barely eating anything

I've been having the same problems, not with my eyes but more sometimes feeling woozy headed, doctors have changed my tablets, but my original hba1c was only 63, I did the same when I first started barely eating anything
The woozy head can be because your body has to adapt to a lower carb diet, so it thinks your blood glucose is low when it actually isn't. Headaches are common because you are dehydrated as cutting carbs can result is fluid loss which is what often accounts for good weight loss initially.

Good tip. I will try the nimble bread. I love toast. Fab too that you go cycling. I am having mobility issues at present but can always go on my cubii - a seated elliptical trainer - but I hadn't thought of doing it after eating. So can see myself doing that now. Every effort helps us. Go well.
It seems to be the best one I've found, me to can't beat toast 🙂
I find after any carbs, any sort of excerise for 15 minutes brings my blood sugars down to normal levels, elliptical trainer would work amazingly

The woozy head can be because your body has to adapt to a lower carb diet, so it thinks your blood glucose is low when it actually isn't. Headaches are common because you are dehydrated as cutting carbs can result is fluid loss which is what often accounts for good weight loss initially.
I think so, it's been on for two months now, doctors have told me will take time for my blood sugar to regulate, wh9xh will cause woozy headedness

I’d make the spaghetti bolognese but have half the pack serving of pasta and make up the rest with steamed veg. Add some cheese on top of the bolognese if you’re using lean mince as fat helps slow the digestion which can smooth out the blood sugars since insulin response can be a bit slow in T2

I’d make the spaghetti bolognese but have half the pack serving of pasta and make up the rest with steamed veg. Add some cheese on top of the bolognese if you’re using lean mince as fat helps slow the digestion which can smooth out the blood sugars since insulin response can be a bit slow in T2
Thank you Lucy, that's amazing didn't realise with fat slow digestion, I shall try that tommorow 🙂

Thank you Lucy, that's amazing didn't realise with fat slow digestion, I shall try that tommorow 🙂
Just don’t go overboard on the cheese if weight loss is a goal, but you can adjust your proportions of veg/pasta/bolognese/cheese to suit your blood sugars and your goals

Just don’t go overboard on the cheese if weight loss is a goal, but you can adjust your proportions of veg/pasta/bolognese/cheese to suit your blood sugars and your goals
Edam cheese is a good choice if you want good flavour and melty grated stuff for on top of bolognese while keeping the calories down a bit - it still has fat to slow the digestion a bit but not as much as other cheeses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back