paracetamol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what set doses are!! But I have one of those libre 2 censor things and I am managing to keep the reader in the green zone mainly because I have been panicking about food and snacks, been living on squirrel foods for the 1st two weeks and now it's beginning to sink in, sugar is my enemy and my friend

I do not think of sugar as my enemy (or friend). The only way my attitude to food has changed since my diagnosis is counting the carbs.
I see nothing as my enemy, just something I haven't learnt how to dose the insulin for ... and I take on that challenge.

Not sure what set doses are!! But I have one of those libre 2 censor things and I am managing to keep the reader in the green zone mainly because I have been panicking about food and snacks, been living on squirrel foods for the 1st two weeks and now it's beginning to sink in, sugar is my enemy and my friend

Set doses=fixed doses. That is, have you been told to take X units of insulin for breakfast, etc? I’m not sure what squirrel foods covers but Type 1s can eat a normal diet. ‘All’ we have to do is adjust our insulin appropriately.

We’re having to take on the job our pancreas used to do. That means taking the correct dose of basal/background/slow insulin, then counting the carbs in our meal and taking the correct dose of bolus/meal/fast insulin. Once you begin to get the hang of that, you’ll find that you can eat more flexibly and normally.

Type 1 isn’t about diet, it’s about ‘thinking like a pancreas’ and having the appropriate insulin.

Yeah I'm on the 24 hours insulin units 8 so far but I have been told type 1 and drink more water and eat healthy but I have had a lot of nuts and slowly getting my head around it all

Can anybody help me with this enquiry, my 1st insulin pen is running low and not definitely sure there's enough for my next dose, should I just start with a new kwikpen?

Can anybody help me with this enquiry, my 1st insulin pen is running low and not definitely sure there's enough for my next dose, should I just start with a new kwikpen?
I always use up whatever is left in the old pen/cartridge and then inject the remainder to make up my dose from the new one, so if I have 9 units left in the old pen, I inject those and then 13units from the new one to make up to my 22unit dose. If there was just 1 or 2 units left I maybe wouldn't bother but I really dislike waste so I try to completely use up all the insulin from one pen before I start the next.

I would do the same and inject what is left from that pen and then do a second injection from a new pen. No point wasting insulin.

Reactions: Kol
Since my individual doses can be quite modest, I will often change my pen without being concerned about too much waste.

My basal is 8.5 units 1x daily. If there are only 5 or even 6 units left and I'm going to use at least 1 unit for the air shot before the actual dose I will discard that pen (or cartridge) rather than trying to get 4 units from the outgoing pen then another 4.5 units from the new pen. It is too easy for me to forget what the change over quantities should be and just get things wrong! Then have a lousy day.

For my bolus or quick acting insulin my meals rarely need even 8 units, more normally 4-6 units. So in practice I might do a split dose for a meal, using up what is left in the old pen and then topping up from a new pen - but only if that bolus is more than 6 units. Otherwise I just change the pen or cartridge and again waste a quite modest amount.

For me it is important to keep my procedures as straightforward as I can. I have enough interruptions and distractions, without having to keep track of avoiding modest waste. I live in a busy house, with a 10 yr old grandson and I like to fit in to the rest of the family's activities as smoothly as is reasonable.

I should have mentioned there are also 2 cats: one an elderly gentleman who deserves some patience and respect; the other is a hyperactive young man who is into everything and can't be trusted when there is food around and kitchen work surfaces to be explored. The youngster is a Burmese and his house training is dreadful: he seems to need to mark his territory inside as well as outside the house. So none of us can fully relax when he is indoors; but getting cross with him makes him worse. All part of the general distractions for pre-bolus injections!!

How do we measure up our carbs, fibre and stuff?
@Milky71 when I was first diagnosed and getting used to counting carbs I used to write on packaging with a sharpie. Quicker then to calculate than looking at the small print every time I prepared a meal.

I'm 4 yrs into this and still use a Sharpie to scribble carb counts onto packaging. It's quick and it's permanent until I finally put that cardboard out for recycling!

I'm 4 yrs into this and still use a Sharpie to scribble carb counts onto packaging. It's quick and it's permanent until I finally put that cardboard out for recycling!
15 years in and still use a sharpie here, big note on the pasta/rice/whatever packet.

15 years in and still use a sharpie here, big note on the pasta/rice/whatever packet.
Yes, me too. My wife has accepted that I will write on all or any packaging big black carb %s and when appropriate add a carb no for a single item.

Now we are house sharing with our daughter, son-in-law and grandson for a few months my notes are now also on most of their food packaging and this attracted some comments - their humour at my expense! One thing that bemuses them is that I'll differentiate between an item that is (say) 13 from a similar commodity that is 14, (or pasta that is 76% vs 72% according to the packaging) then ignore such accuracy and round up / down for a final "guestimate" insulin dose, factoring in a probable (possible) speed of glucose release, how much water the pasta is cooking in, how busy I have or have not been, etc, etc, etc; indeed factoring in all those things we (who have been carb counting for a while) just routinely do and (horror of horrors) sometimes without the help of the Sharpie!

It's OK really, they are still coming to realise that I find that making my carb notes are just plain helpful to me and because I do what I can to manage my D relatively painlessly for me, my "D clutter" (eg the scales permanently out on the worktop and the Sharpie in an easy find place) (scissors also in a handy place so packaging is cut, not torn, hence readable!) is now replacing their clutter.

Sorry, @Milky71, this is a long way from your post about paracetamol.

I have been type 1 diabetes for almost 40 days now and have been a smoker of various for over 30 years and now I want to break my habit for good, does anyone else had any problems or issues with this subject.. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back