Pancreas or Scotland? A Vit D tale

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you a Yorkshireman. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. I bet your dad would kick you awake and round the room for saying that.😉

Sorry about the B12 thing - it's the osteoporosis thing though isn't it - they are all connected with each other, when one's out of kilter you can't guarantee that despite blood levels, what you have is actually working as it should. Bit like them only testing TSH for hypothyroid - they need to do the T4 too cos if that's not right it doesn't matter much what your TSH is. I must remember to ask about that, a locum at my GP's could only find the test for T4 done in 2008, not since. I wonder why they haven't? And - do they need to?

(or is it T3 ..... )

Just as a correction, I used the wrong units for my Vit D reading. It should have been 20mmol/l, which equates to 8ng/ml. This is below the level where you would expect rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults, so without treatment my bones would become bendy.

It's important I get this sorted, because I am expecting to get a new left hip, but they won't do that if the bone isn't strong enough to support the prosthesis.

I tell you what, I sure get value for money out of my tax contributions to the NHS.🙂

Reactions: Ljc
Just as a correction, I used the wrong units for my Vit D reading. It should have been 20mmol/l, which equates to 8ng/ml. This is below the level where you would expect rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults, so without treatment my bones would become bendy.

It's important I get this sorted, because I am expecting to get a new left hip, but they won't do that if the bone isn't strong enough to support the prosthesis.

I tell you what, I sure get value for money out of my tax contributions to the NHS.🙂

You get that sorted pretty damm quick Boney M! 😱

I tell you what, I sure get value for money out of my tax contributions to the NHS. 🙂
Me too, I dread to think how much I've cost the NHS just in that last two years.
Seriously now , I hope they sort out your vit D pdq

I was hoping you'd comment, Susan, thanks for that. If the doc thinks I'm not absorbing Vit D from food, I'm hardly likely to absorb it from tablets.:(
You've reminded me I need to ask my doc to check my Vit D levels. And by the way, I have B12 injections too. (I rattle when I walk and liquid skooshes from all the holes created in me😱:D)

If you are taking vit D tablets you should make sure they are vitamin D3 as opposed to D2 or just D. You should also take with them vitamin K2 to help absorption.

Thanks Lillian, but tablets won't be much use to me, because the problem with absorption is caused by pancreatitis, which will never go away. I'll need a big slug initially IM, then probably further injections in the future. :confused:

LOL Lilian - if the problem arises because your body isn't absorbing all the goodness from anything you consume - which is in fact what Mikey strongly suspects - you can't take Vitamin tablets - well you could of course - but they are unlikely to assist surely?

On the pancreatitis forum, recent posts suggest that everyone who is pancreas deficient should have Vit D levels checked regularly because the dose of Creon that suppresses symptoms is insufficient to properly absorb vitamin D. Creonistas on this forum take note.

My OH had a total pancreatectomy in February and is on Creon but no one has mentioned Vit D should we ask for a test, I don't want the doctor to think we are being a pest. We stay in Scotland and had been thinking about taking it in the winter anyway but from what I've read the pills would be no good, thought you might be able to help thanks

My OH had a total pancreatectomy in February and is on Creon but no one has mentioned Vit D should we ask for a test, I don't want the doctor to think we are being a pest. We stay in Scotland and had been thinking about taking it in the winter anyway but from what I've read the pills would be no good, thought you might be able to help thanks
Aye, ask your doctor for the test and explain that you've read that Creon doesn't fully help absorb vitamin D. The deficiency is common in Scotland anyway, so he won't mind. It's when it comes to treatment, though - tablets won't help much, particularly over the counter stuff.

Aye, ask your doctor for the test and explain that you've read that Creon doesn't fully help absorb vitamin D. The deficiency is common in Scotland anyway, so he won't mind. It's when it comes to treatment, though - tablets won't help much, particularly over the counter stuff.
Many thanks we are going to docs on Wednesday and will ask thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back