Painkillers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mage 1

Can anyone tell me what painkillers I can take for a very sore shoulder i am taking paracetamol every 4 hours but after 2 the pain is back . I am just waiting for the doctor’s to open.I have Google it but very confusing. Thanks in advance.

Can you take ibuprofen? I only ask as it upsets my stomach. If you can, alternate paracetamol with ibuprofen every two hours. The ibuprofen will help reduce any inflammation. I don’t envy you shoulder pain, I have awful trouble with mine. At its worse I was on Tramodol, does the trick but you’re a zombie on them. Very, very last resort.
Have you tried ice/heat, ending in ice? Two minutes each for 8/10 minutes. Or a heat pad, TENS machine? Can you tell I’ve tried everything? I’ve even tried Chinese potions and acupuncture. Got some relief with steroid injections.
Hope you get sorted, there’s nothing worse.

Oh that doesn't sound good. Are your Dr's open today as it is a bank holiday again today? (as Boxing day was on a weekend)
I think eggyg has given you some good advice and the hot/cold was going to be my suggestion too, hot water bottle if you have one (or a hot flannel) followed by a cold pack (peas wrapped in a towel if need be). I hope you find some relief.

Can you take ibuprofen? I only ask as it upsets my stomach. If you can, alternate paracetamol with ibuprofen every two hours. The ibuprofen will help reduce any inflammation. I don’t envy you shoulder pain, I have awful trouble with mine. At its worse I was on Tramodol, does the trick but you’re a zombie on them. Very, very last resort.
Have you tried ice/heat, ending in ice? Two minutes each for 8/10 minutes. Or a heat pad, TENS machine? Can you tell I’ve tried everything? I’ve even tried Chinese potions and acupuncture. Got some relief with steroid injections.
Hope you get sorted, there’s nothing worse.
Thank you i Google to see if I could take ibuprofen some said yes some say no
I also have had trouble with mine for about 25 years I think I have been a bit enthusiastic with gardening thanks

I also was told not to take Ibuprofen but if you get the gel it doesnt
do any harm if you "rub it on the site of pain" quote from the chemist

A pharmacist would be able to advise if you have any worries about taking ibuprofen as they will know all the contraindications.

Thank you

I have always found Volterol gel rubbed onto the area very effective more so than ibuprophen gel or patches
If it needs support then kinesiology tape can help.

I can’t take paracetomol but do take Ibuprofen . However I even go stronger and get Naproxen but if you are asthmatic or on other medications you really need your Gp . I’d be inclined to phone the out if hours as there will be someone on . If very bad a walk in might be your best option. I also like the rubs but each to their own . Pain is so hard as no one but you can say how much you can bear. Tramadol or cuddling make me feel worse but it’s cheaper so given most often. As I say your Go has your notes and that’s safest

Thanks for all your reply’s,yes doctors closed today can’t get thought to 111 ,I will just rest it today

Usually take codeine with paracetamol, had leg injury earlier in year & both cut pain right down, used same combo years before with bad back pain, check with pharmacist first for any possible interactions with other drugs you may take.

Thank you

Just to clarify on @eggyg's post. You can alternate paracetamol and ibuprofen up to a max of 4xa day for paracetamol and 3x a day for ibuprofen and always take ibuprofen with food to protect your stomach and don't take it long term. Hope your shoulder settled down a bit soon. I find a hot water bottle under it in bed really helps.

Can I just clarify do you take 4Paracetamol tables and 3 ibuprofen tablets a day. sorry I am being a bit thick and thanks for clarifying

Thanks for all your reply’s,yes doctors closed today can’t get thought to 111 ,I will just rest it today
Look after yourself , wish could take pain out of the world as I do understand . Having severe arthritis and having joint replacements plus gynae ops in the past . I know pain it’s so debilitating. Keep warm if you can as the cold n damp make it worse . All the best . Sorry you have to suffer.

Can I just clarify do you take 4Paracetamol tables and 3 ibuprofen tablets a day. sorry I am being a bit thick and thanks for clarifying
2 paracetamol tablets 4 times a day and 2 ibuprofen tablets 3 times a day.... unless you have the bigger stronger tablets of course.
I tend to take paracetamol as soon as I wake up and then Ibuprofen with breakfast, then paracetamol mid morning and ibuprofen at lunch, paracetamol late afternoon and ibuprofen with evening meal and then paracetamol at bedtime. Not that I often have pain that warrants that level of treatment.

2 paracetamol tablets 4 times a day and 2 ibuprofen tablets 3 times a day.... unless you have the bigger stronger tablets of course.
I tend to take paracetamol as soon as I wake up and then Ibuprofen with breakfast, then paracetamol mid morning and ibuprofen at lunch, paracetamol late afternoon and ibuprofen with evening meal and then paracetamol at bedtime. Not that I often have pain that warrants that level of treatment.
Look on packet it will say not to exceed how many in a day

Thank you Barbara I don’t usually take painkillers this is first time this year.it has been a long time since I have needed this amount of painkillers.the last time was for my back the good news back is fine since losing weight so now my shoulder thinks its it turn and on a bank holiday.

Hi. Don't take Ibuprofen long-term if you value your kidneys. My wife recently had a kidney transplant probably the result of long-term use for frozen shoulder. If you do have frozen shoulder try to get the GP to prescribe amitriptyline.

I’ve taken it all my life as allergic to Paracetomol sometimes at it’s max daily for months and never had any problems with my kidneys. Each person is an individual . Always see Gp if ongoing is the best policy. Over the counter medication is usually first aid and Gp’s know your individual case too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back