Overnight oats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1k3

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello folks

I am new to the forums and after 18 years with type 2 just about getting to grips with diabetes.
Settling in nicely with new regimes diet and exercise and lost a useful 6 pounds since new year binge out and only 8 pounds to go to target weight.
I have discovered overnight oats and wonder if this is allowed.
Jordan's original muesli
Light creme fraiche
Mixed summer berries.
Fingers crossed this is allowed.
Can someone please let me know or if it's bad perhaps a similar alternative.
Have a good day.

There is no "allowed" in regards to diabetes

Although we all suffer the same condition it is very individual in regards of who can tolerate what so the only way to tell if this is acceptable for you is to test before eating and then again 2 hours after, ideally you'd be looking at no more than a 2-3mmol rise in post meal test for it to be an acceptable breakfast
xx

Dried fruit in museli and berries pushed me well into double figures when I looked at the effect many months ago. So, not for me.

My alternatve is to make my own granola by toasting oats and nuts and then adding milled mixed seeds when it has cooled down. Eat it with full fat yoghurt and a small amount of milk. That works for me.

Many thanks to you both
I will try testing before and after and did presume the muesli would be possibly wrong for me.
I will try your recipe after weekend shopping

Sounds lovely! Hopefully you can find a way for it to work.

Thanks phoebe and mikey
See what ya did there with the wild oats
🙂

You seem to be eating the low fat version of creme fraiche which could make a difference.
I know that low fat is almost gospel these days - but so far whenever I have asked for the positive outcome from it, I have not been shown one. Just a chart of lower fat consumption and decreased illness of some sort - but it seems it doesn't exist.

I can do plain jumbo oats (about 25 to 30 grams), microwaved in a little water 1 min, add a splash of coconut milk and 2 heaped teaspoons of yoghurt (creme fresh could act as alternative to yoghurt) then I mixed in small amount of fresh fruit, maybe half a chopped apple, or half small banana, or about 5 graps halved. Portion size of oats and fruit need to be controlled, not huge portions.

Not everyone could tolerate the breakfast I can but your best way of know is finger prick test before food and 2 hours after, if you test say 5.7 mmol before food you are looking for a raise of 2-3 mmol (7.7 or 8.7) if its higher than that you body can't handle it.

I wouldn't go near
Jordan's original muesli*
Mixed summer berries. - (a no no if dried*) watch portion size if fresh or frozen

they will be loaded with *sugar and high carbs (always check the back of the pack) you don't want to be going above 30g carbs for the oats really.

https://www.eatthismuch.com/food/nutrition/mixed-berries,134203/

Last edited:
I make overnight oats using jumbo porridge oats, plain yogurt and fresh or frozen berries.

I am drooling for a bowl of oats, but I know that they just make my levels go bonkers.
Ho hum.

I wouldn't be tempted in the slightest - odd how tastes can be so different.

Thank you all for your appreciated replies.
Currently in a group meeting with dietician. Just asked about overnight oats with creme fraiche and she said it's fine. I only have it now and again.
Session started again

I do appreciate we are all different and what works for some may not for others I will try the suggestions and swap to rolled oats possibly stick with light creme fraiche, I'm not a fan of yoghurt. Will try apple banana instead of summer fruits.
Thanks again all

If the dietician thinks muesli is 'fine' without testing, I would be inclined to take the rest of their advice with great caution!
Stick with the berries, lower carb than banana or apple.
Full fat crème fraiche or cream would fill you up more than reduced fat, and allow you to decrease the amount of oats and fruit.

It is important to try different things and test to see how your BG levels will respond to them. Summer berries would usually be a better choice than banana for a diabetic and eggs a better choice for breakfast than oats but we are not all alike and our bodies will break down foods differently. Fat takes longer to break down than other foods and so it keeps you fuller for longer and provides slpw release energy and it also slows the release of glucose from carbohydrates it is eaten with, so full fat dairy is usually better than low fat options for us diabetics and particularly those of us eating low carb because it reduces the risk of us getting cravings and wanting to binge.
Unfortunately the NHS and other government organisations have spent the past 50+ years advising us to eat low fat because they believed fat will make us fat and supposedly causes cardiovascular disease. There is now a growing wave of scientific support for the theory that the low fat advice was based on flawed research and does not cause either of those problems and in fact eating low fat has in part lead to the epidemic of diabetes that we are currently seeing. If you eat less fat, you are likely to eat more carbs (low fat foods almost always have extra sugar or other carbs added to make them taste better or the carb content is just higher because the fat has been removed) which give you a glucose surge and then they are gone leaving you wanting more. Potentially leading to excessive consumption and people getting fat. The body also becomes resistant to the insulin which is constantly being pumped out to deal with the glucose from the carbs.
I believe it is still NHS policy (and government policy) to promote low fat as being healthy but there are many of us who believe that the opposite is true and fat is actually our friend, particularly in our fight with diabetes. It will be extremely difficult for the NHS to completely reverse it's advice after so many years, so I would not expect to get particularly helpful advice from an NHS dietician on diabetes.... even those specifically trained in diabetes, unless you meet an extremely enlightened individual.
Using a BG meter will tell you what foods work for you and what you need to avoid.

Sorry I was in a hurry as meeting was about to start
Dietician mentioned rolled oats would be better and to use small amount of Jordan's then check sugar levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back