Over correcting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't had a hypo in a long time now, but when I did I could not stop eating for hours afterwards. It's not good when you are suffering from depression and all the eating makes you feel guilty, which in turn causes me to comfort eat. The next thing I know I am usually in the 20's and feeling ill because of that (and still can't stop eating). Even huge amounts of insulin won't bring me down from that when I'm in that state.

I agree with you. Not every hypo's the same. one day a 2.6 comes up with one shot of lucazade. the next day a 3.5 needs treating several times over. the only way I know this since going on a pump i do test every 15 mins when I'm low and it's amazing how long it can take to come up sometimes.

what I hate is if I've been running high for a while anything around 8 feels like a hypo, but I know it isn't so I have to ignore it - it's my diabetic version of diabetic cold turkey. I know very tightly controlled diabetics lose their hypo signals and to correct this have to run their blood sugars a little higher for a while to kick in the liver's natural glycogen reaction. On my DAFNE course I was told a well controlled diabetic should expect between 2-3 hypos per week - if I get none I really know I'm not doing well (although I hate them). I found it facinating reading about initial hypo reactions in the first insulin injected diabetics in 1922/23 - something the medical profession had never come across before, it was often mistaken for an anaphylactic shock caused by inpure insulin or a severe reaction to an infection caused by the huge needles used and enormous injections needed.

omg, thought i was the only one that did that!! i sometimes wake up after dozing off on the sofa ( i have a five month old so i doze whenever/wherever i can!!) with a blood sugar of about 2 and all i want to do is EAT!!! and i just cant seem to stop myself, then pay for it with a high reading in a couple of hours, if i realise what i've done then i will top up with a few units of novorapid to ward off the inevitable rubbish feeling the next morning!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back