Our college exam 'help'

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephknits

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I have a zoom meeting to discuss Alice's diabetes management during their mock A levels tomorrow. It is in response to a letter they sent her which has some interesting points such as:

"You asked to test your sugar levels right at the start of the exam which was not a relaxing beginning to the exam for you. Was it that you had got up late and had been unable to test your levels before you got to college? It would be good if we could agree for the test to be done in good time before the exam and not at the start."

Have to say, I am quite looking forward to it. Anyone got any choice remarks I might make?!

Have to say, I am quite looking forward to it. Anyone got any choice remarks I might make?!
Ask what planet they are on for starters and also how much diabetes knowledge this person has to make/ask such a stupid question.

Ask what planet they are on for starters and also how much diabetes knowledge this person has to make/ask such a stupid question.
I know! They are apparently the support person for anyone with disabilities at college and coordinate their exam support.

I suspect those choice remarks are already clear in your mind. You could encourage them to do some homework and spend a couple of hours on this website!

However, trying to see a positive side to this, better that the College's ignorance is exposed now, rather than just before the real exams. Wake up call for them.

I had my Year 9 exams the other week (not the same as college but in preparation for GCSE) and anyone with medical conditions who may need to take care of anything to do with their condition was allowed “rest breaks” to allow this to be taken care of and if I didn’t want anyone knowing why I left the exam for a hypo the “rest break” was a good excuse to give to people in my year who I didn’t want to explain it

As @Pumper_Sue says ask what planet they are living on!

Diabetes does not have a timetable. When a person feels the need to check, they need to check - their life could depend on it.
They really need to be informed of the basics so they can attempt to understand the simplest things surrounding diabetics. Also that every diabetic is different, no two are the same. I believe these basic snips of info might stop them from clumping every diabetic into the same mould. They will continue acting in ignorance without being informed otherwise.

I’d agree with the bg test being done in good time before the exam, an hour or two before so that you can correct any craziness that may need sorting out, but also then test again 15 minutes or so beforehand to check how it’s doing and make any last minute adjustments.

As a teacher I’m at a loss for words - what an unbelievably stupid letter.

Diabetic children, as I’m sure you know, are entitled to work in a different room if they so wish so they are able to test at any point and treat as necessary and if they do have a hypo they’re meant to have 45 min. recovery time before they continue. I mean stress caused by stupid comments like that will not help. Can you ask the DSN at hospital to advise the college?!

Personally I’d find it relaxing and reassuring to test before I started an exam to make sure I’m good to go.

Good luck and good luck Alice in your mocks.

Hear Hear Bexlee !

Thank you so much in amply demonstrating your entire ignorance of Type 1 diabetes and how it affects pupils and also of Disability Discrimination legislation. I am dismayed that you expect a parent to appraise you of proper procedure and would have expected that anyone appointed to a safeguarding role in a senior school to have received the relevant training prior to their appointment.

The accusation of having got up late is an insult and should be treated as such. Type 1 imposes requirements in this respect which are impossible to ignore.

An appropriate time is just before the exam, or at any other time before durin1g or after the exam if there is a need and an appropriate place is the exam room.

It should be made clear that this and any treatment needed is to be allowed. A letter stating this would be a good idea!

Why don’t they want her to test at the start of the exam, just so that they don’t have to see her prick her finger?! So your daughter has the medical condition but they are uncomfortable with it?! Unbelievable!!
My daughter is currently doing mock GCSEs. She is entitled to be in a small room so that if she has any issues such as a hypo or alarms going off she can deal with it without disturbing anyone else (at the moment she’s just in a small room with a few other people with medical conditions, due to staffing issues they can’t give her a room entirely on her own but we’re hoping they might sort that out for the finals) and she’s entitled to breaks if necessary, so they will stop the clock for however long it takes and then she can continue. We got a letter from the hospital explaining that if she’s high she may need to use the toilet and give herself an insulin dose, or if low she will need to eat something, test again 15 minutes later and then repeat if necessary. The letter also explains that cognitive function may be impaired for up to 45 minutes after a hypo and therefore the break should be that long after blood sugars have returned to normal.

So far she hasn’t needed any breaks but the school have been pretty good with her other requirements (she’s allowed a laptop and extra time for other conditions) so hopefully it wouldn’t be an issue if she did have any blood sugar problems in an exam!

Good luck with your zoom meeting. I like @trophywench’s response!!

I’d be absolutely fuming! It’s not just the ignorance, it’s the utter arrogance in thinking they know anything about Type 1 when it’s clear they know b***** all.

I’d start by having a go at them for the completely unnecessary and patronising comment about her getting up late, I’d then move on to the diabetes and explain that dealing with Type 1 is a full time job; that blood sugar often needs testing numerous times a day because it can change quickly and isn’t static. I’d suggest quite strongly that they refrain from talking about things they have no idea about. Maybe show them this thread too!

Make sure she gets the extra time as well as breaks. She might not use it but should have it just in case.

I’d be interested to hear how far in advance “in good time before the exam” means in their minds - a week? a fortnight?
This person needs a few things explained to them in plain English - good luck @stephknits!

How did you get on @stephknits ? I hope it was a productive meeting and you had the opportunity to educate people and they listened.

It is sad that there is so much ignorance about Type 1 diabetes but I am not surprised by the comment.
Until I was diagnosed with Type 1, I knew very little about what it meant. I never knowingly saw anyone test their blood sugars and had no clue about how much they varied.

@stephknits I hope your daughter gets the help she needs during her exams and you are able to educate more people about what it means to have this condition.
Personally, I would not go into the Zoom meeting all guns blazing, I would be wanting to get the school on my side and having a rant doesn work for me.

Thanks all. The meeting went really well. I decided to focus on the outcome - better support for all students with type 1. It was very positive and the college now have a clear understanding of type 1 and how it relates to exams. I did show them my libre and how quickly blood sugar can change.
Was tempting to make comments re the email, but decided against it. Am hoping their newfound understanding may lead to some reflection on what they wrote.

Well done @stephknits. Sometimes (probably most times) getting into a fight is not the best way to get the best outcome. Ignoring their lack of knowledge, showing that you know far more about the subject than them, and then using that to educate is a far better way of going about things.

Well done @stephknits. Sometimes (probably most times) getting into a fight is not the best way to get the best outcome. Ignoring their lack of knowledge, showing that you know far more about the subject than them, and then using that to educate is a far better way of going about things.
Thanks! That's why spaces like this are so valuable. You can have a vent with people who get it, so then don't need to gent to the people who don't. All good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back