Oops I’ve gone and done it - wrong insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.
@mitchsi Yeah, the NHS aren’t keen on randomly handing out newborns. Their parents get a bit miffed! Damn hard to do an injection with too :rofl:
Ha ha missed that, don’t fancy a newborn at the moment anyway :-D

You aren’t allowed to sell them on eBay if they’re a prescription item. Put a sticker on them or some electrical tape?

Overnight I remembered that about six months ago I had tracked down the NovoPen 6 PIP codes.
I include previous versions for completeness...!

NovoPen PIP Code
NovoPen 6 Blue 419-6697
NovoPen 6 Grey/Silver 419-6689
NovoPen Echo Plus Blue 419-6663
NovoPen Echo Plus Red 419-6671
--------------------------------
NovoPen 5 Blue 393-6465
NovoPen 5 Silver 393-6473
NovoPen 4 Blue 340-1551
NovoPen 4 Silver 340-1544
NovoPen Echo Blue 368-7076
NovoPen Echo Red 368-7365

Sorry about the formatting...

Officially I don’t think prescription items are supposed to be passed to another person. And as I understand it they certainly aren’t allowed to be sold!
No, but given that pharmacies will also not accept even sealed returns other than to incinerate them, sometimes common sense must prevail. Besides, we are only talking about a delivery method for the meds & not the meds themselves.

No, but given that pharmacies will also not accept even sealed returns other than to incinerate them, sometimes common sense must prevail. Besides, we are only talking about a delivery method for the meds & not the meds themselves.
I have got into the habit of checking the meds before coming out of the pharmacy particularly if there has been a change to the prescription.

Overnight I remembered that about six months ago I had tracked down the NovoPen 6 PIP
Thanks for that John, I’ll save that in the diabetes file for when I need to reorder. I’ll check out the skins RB mentioned.

I have got into the habit of checking the meds before coming out of the pharmacy particularly if there has been a change to the prescription.
Yeah I do, I didn’t open the box at the time as I thought ok these will do as spares and couldn’t be sure the box would actually reflect the colour.

@mitchsi
I've just seen that there's a seller on Ebay with vinyl "skins" for the Novopens.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I’ve been googling and trying to find a masculine red design but to no avail, I’ll keep looking tho and until the. Red insulation tape will do. But great suggestion, I didn’t think of that .

Following a bit of a panic, where my GP had omitted to warn me of the impending shortage of tresiba disposable pens, my diabetes clinic issued me with two shiny new novopens, one for tresiba and one for my fast acting, fiasp. Unfortunately, like others here, both were blue. Accepted, they were slightly different shades of blue, but still easily mixed up,

I have just run out of tresiba disposable pens and have had to start using the novopen, but to avoid the confusion, i will continue to use the fiasp disposables, until they get "discontinued" also.

In preparation for the day that I end up using novopens for both insulins, I have been looking for a sticker(s) that will clearly distinguish between the two pens, so that I don't end up having to eat loads of extra carbs, attractive as that might seem. Unfortunately, for me at least, although there are plenty of fancy stickers/skins available, there don't appear to be any that have a solid colour, perhaps similar to the colours on the boxes that the insulin comes in. It looks like a strip of red insulation tape might be the best bet, for my fiasp pen and leave the tresiba one in its native state. I really don't fancy using a pen with unicorns all over it. 😛

It looks like a strip of red insulation tape might be the best bet, for my fiasp pen and leave the tresiba one in its native state.
That seems practical. You'll want a third pen (just in case one stops working) so maybe make sure that that's not blue?

That seems practical. You'll want a third pen (just in case one stops working) so maybe make sure that that's not blue?
Sounds like a plan. One of my current pens is a "plus", so that i can inject half units of fiasp, so maybe best to get a spare for that one, ideally in red, so that it would cover either pen breaking down. I could then maybe use the new one for my fiasp and relegate the existing plus to being the spare. Two birds with one stone, as it were. 🙂

Officially I don’t think prescription items are supposed to be passed to another person. And as I understand it they certainly aren’t allowed to be sold!
Not many people realise that sharing medication is both dangerous and illegal, even between family members. According to the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Authority (MHRA), anybody who supplies prescription drugs to someone who it is not intended for, is breaking the law.

Overnight I remembered that about six months ago I had tracked down the NovoPen 6 PIP codes.
I include previous versions for completeness...!

NovoPen PIP Code
NovoPen 6 Blue 419-6697
NovoPen 6 Grey/Silver 419-6689
NovoPen Echo Plus Blue 419-6663
NovoPen Echo Plus Red 419-6671
--------------------------------
NovoPen 5 Blue 393-6465
NovoPen 5 Silver 393-6473
NovoPen 4 Blue 340-1551
NovoPen 4 Silver 340-1544
NovoPen Echo Blue 368-7076
NovoPen Echo Red 368-7365

Sorry about the formatting...

A handy reference @John Gray 🙂

Hmmm, it looks like I was right to suggest to my clinic that I'd probably need Novopens for both basal and fast acting, as my GP's pharmacy team has just been on to tell me that the same shortage is indeed happening with the Fiasp disposable pens. A little late maybe, but at least I got a warning this time and I do have a fair bit of fiasp in the fridge, to keep me going.

I might need to hurry up my search for some suitable tape however. 😛

@Greyman I took time looking for a skin for the pen suitable for an adult male preferring a solid colour but to no avail.
Nail polish on the dial helped but in a daze I repeated my error last week so that’s not sufficient. Insulin tape it is which looks ugly.

I might need to hurry up my search for some suitable tape however. 😛
@Greyman I took time looking for a skin for the pen suitable for an adult male preferring a solid colour but to no avail.
Could you wrap washi tape around the body of the pen (whether they're disposable pens or reusable pens)?

It's easy to find washi tape in patterns or solid colours, and in different widths. It would also be easy to remove the tape if you find a more permanent solution. The tape is papery and doesn't leave a residue in my experience.

I'm on a pump but carry Abasaglar with me when I travel, and when the pens are nearing expiry. To avoid mistakes, I secure the cap to the body of the pen with washi tape so I don't use it without thinking. It's easy to remove the tape if I do need it, but I'd need to remove it intentionally - the tape doesn't come off on its own, even when loose in my diabetes bag.

@Finn I never heard of that stuff, however, I’ve just bought a roll to trial. If it’s the correct stuff it shouldn’t leave the residue insulation tape does.

IMG_4122.jpeg

Nail polish on the dial helped but in a daze I repeated my error last week so that’s not sufficient. Insulin tape it is which looks ugly.
I can deal with "ugly", especially if it means I don't have to overdose on jelly babies. 😛

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back