Online Medical Records

Status
Not open for further replies.
@trophywench I have used the system for prescriptions for years but requested access to records via the system a couple of years ago and only got the vaccine info. I have requested access twice since then at different times, hoping it had been updated but still only got vaccine info, so I can only assume that is all they have on the system. No idea if they have plans to include more or if this is a token gesture to allow patients access without it becoming an onerous task for them. ie. they are showing willing to comply with the requirement for access by putting just the most basic records on the system.

The daft thing is although even recently test results had to be faxed to GP surgeries - normally now they're provided electronically via the NHS (England) computer system.

I certainly have input into my own test results which nobody on earth could possibly produce were it not for my body and/or brain! I have to get my body to the place where they are going to measure whatever needs to be tested, whether it's an Xray, a blood test, a scan or a discussion. I have to have contacted a medic in the first place if I need medical input. I agree I don't want any removed bits back, I'm more than happy for them to be incinerated properly once they've been tested and aren't cancerous and I don't have access to an incinerator anyway. But I do expect to be informed that they weren't cancerous and for that to be recorded on my NHS medical record so when I get another lump skin blemish or whatever, the doc wherever (in England) should know I already had a similar lump or blemish removed previously, especially if it's a hospital consultant I've been referred to by the same GP surgery.

Not all appointments and letters show up
Have you been invited to register with NHS eComms yet?

I got an invitation with a letter from the Diabetic Clinic, and, according to that letter, it is still invitation only.

Having only just registered, it's too early for me to pass judgement. Although, when registering, it only accepted my name as it was printed on the Diabetic Clinic letter, (which I had temporarily misplaced). Along with the that letter, the Doctor, Eye Clinic and Podiatrist all wrote my name differently:
  1. With and without Mr
  2. Block and Capitalised
  3. With and without middle name
Giving 8 different possible ways to enter my name, and, of course, I kid you not, the correct variation was the eighth one I tried. Which doesn't sound encouraging for the overall effectiveness of the system.

suspect this is because they have not been inputted into the system.
You are kidding of course? They are currently trying to sell them off on the cheap.... again!

They are, by far, the most comprehensive health data-set in the world. Worth far more than government asking price, either on this or the previous occasion they tried to sell them. Big tech and pharma have been drooling over them for years.

In general, while I recognise @travellor's and your own very valid concerns, I have to agree with @trophywench, they are mine. If the government can get a fair price and can guarantee basic protections, then I have no objection to them selling access to my data. But I do not think that my medical records should become Elon Musk's or Larry Page's personal intellectual property.

normally now they're provided electronically via the NHS (England) computer system.
You would hope.

As a point of info: Technically, NHS- Scotland's 'Diabetes My Way' website only offers to search available datasets which leaves quite a large loop-hole for playing hide-n-seek.

Last edited:
From another perspective: these tests are of me,
i agree

Consider the following cases:

The classic example is, of course, the famous HeLa cell line and various controversies surrounding the treatment of Henrieta Lacks and ownership of the related intellectual property, Which, in total, by the way, is worth billions.

Now consider Agnes Munyiva. This story illustrates the morally questionable way Africa is treated both in the search for new drugs and their subsequent testing.

I have been to Africa and lived for several months at a time in shanty-towns, and third/developing world slums. It is something that you cannot really appreciate from a Tv screen. The best way I can describe the reality is this: On your Tv you will see groups of heavily armed men. While in reality, most people cannot afford to buy a bullet, never mind a gun. When disputes get totally out of hand, they are generally settled by someone being bludgeoned to death by a brick. Yet, despite this, amongst the squalor and open sewers running down the middle of the street, there is a quite dignity to the people. When you go into their homes, they have cherished, highly polished bits of furniture with little plaques saying things like: "Donated by Oxfam". In any western society, these people would be classed as aspirational middle class.

Is it right that big tech should be patenting their genetic identity, while abandoning them to squalor and disease?

I can see all my GP records.
Hospital records are different, but I can see the hospital records in so much as if they have written to my GP, that is available on my file.
As I understand it, unless you have forbidden the sharing of your medical records at a granular level, a hospital in Harrogate would be able to see your hospital records.

You GP can see test results for hospital tests, but they have to go looking for them, in another system. (If I gave it long enough I'd recall the system name.)

I know this because I am under hospital care for a condition. As a result of treatment I was having to have monthly (now 3-monthly) blood tests, to ensure my liver was coping with the meds.

I turned up at my GP surgery for routine bloods, whereupon the HCA said she wasn't sure why I was having these bloods as I'd just had a load done, "at the hospital". I explained these weren't for the same reason, then went on to ask her for the results of said tests. She explained she certainly couldn't tell me that as the tests were for the hospital.

Lighted flame to blue touch paper moment, right there and right then. I was disgusted that a a very basically trained (I try not to think untrained) person could look at my GP and hospital records, and see my results, but I wasn't allowed to know them.

Anyway, steps were taken along the way, which essentially resulted in the consultant telling my GP that my results should be released to me on request. The consultant was horrified that an intelligent, engaged patient would not be afforded the common courtesy - especially as I have full access to my GP results.

Hey ho. Sometimes it feels like it's all a game. 🙂

As I understand it, unless you have forbidden the sharing of your medical records at a granular level, a hospital in Harrogate would be able to see your hospital records.

You GP can see test results for hospital tests, but they have to go looking for them, in another system. (If I gave it long enough I'd recall the system name.)

I know this because I am under hospital care for a condition. As a result of treatment I was having to have monthly (now 3-monthly) blood tests, to ensure my liver was coping with the meds.

I turned up at my GP surgery for routine bloods, whereupon the HCA said she wasn't sure why I was having these bloods as I'd just had a load done, "at the hospital". I explained these weren't for the same reason, then went on to ask her for the results of said tests. She explained she certainly couldn't tell me that as the tests were for the hospital.

Lighted flame to blue touch paper moment, right there and right then. I was disgusted that a a very basically trained (I try not to think untrained) person could look at my GP and hospital records, and see my results, but I wasn't allowed to know them.

Anyway, steps were taken along the way, which essentially resulted in the consultant telling my GP that my results should be released to me on request. The consultant was horrified that an intelligent, engaged patient would not be afforded the common courtesy - especially as I have full access to my GP results.

Hey ho. Sometimes it feels like it's all a game. 🙂
Guess it depends on the Consultant, the GP and the patient.
Mine have been on tap from day 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, to access the hospital records, you have to insert your NHS ID card (that one hanging around your neck on a lanyard) into a horizontal slot above the numbers line on the keyboard. An HCP's ID card doesn't permit them access to hospital records. For general interest if even one's hospital consultant is requested to give DVLA some info, which they may be able to do PDQ online - same as (say) your optometrist at eg Dolland & Aitchison what they both need to do when answering the questions is enter their own BMA ID number so they have to fish that card out of the depths of their wallets and enter that number first, in order to do this.

(If you can make something more difficult you should ...... does that actually deter hackers does anyone think ....)

Ah, to access the hospital records, you have to insert your NHS ID card (that one hanging around your neck on a lanyard) into a horizontal slot above the numbers line on the keyboard. An HCP's ID card doesn't permit them access to hospital records. For general interest if even one's hospital consultant is requested to give DVLA some info, which they may be able to do PDQ online - same as (say) your optometrist at eg Dolland & Aitchison what they both need to do when answering the questions is enter their own BMA ID number so they have to fish that card out of the depths of their wallets and enter that number first, in order to do this.

(If you can make something more difficult you should ...... does that actually deter hackers does anyone think ....)
I don't think I've ever not got a letter with any results, correspondence, etc, directly from a consultant, or a hospital appointment directly, or not been able to access correspondence spent to my GP.
I agree the raw data isn't usually on the GP's system though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back