Once a diabetic always a diabetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think I view that as a cynical way of structuring the study to skew the results though. Even if it was a deliberately chosen starting point to evaluate a hypothesis. The ‘accompanying commentary’ linked here is behind a paywall, which is annoying, but it does look like even early on in 2019 the findings were considered by some to be possibly applicable to a number of candidates who have a longer duration of diabetes.

The findings have been simultaneously published in The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, in which Paul Aveyard (University of Oxford, UK) and co-authors of an accompanying commentary suggest that the DiRECT results might apply more widely, such as to people with a longer duration of diabetes, and that even greater weight loss could further increase the chances of diabetes remission.

This was a few years back - I’m not sure what has emerged in the interim.

At the end of the day I see it as promising and encouraging research, and I’m pleased that we have some members here who have used some aspects of the trial intervention for themselves with positive results for them.

It’s not intended to be a silver bullet that works for everyone, any more than any of the options that folks on the forum use to good effect for their own diabetes management are - but I’m glad it is an option that works for some people 🙂

It’s a bit like the ‘cures’ for T1 which are beginning to break new ground. I would love those studies to continue and to be able to publish data with positive outcomes for a proportion of people within a few years of a T1 diagnosis - even though I’ve had T1 far too long for any of that to apply to me. I still want it for other people - even if it’s only a tiny minority 🙂
Do you accept that Taylor's exclusion of T2s over 6 years from Direct. is a tacit acknowledgement that T2 is progressive ? Incidentally the Australian version of this so-called 'remission' limits it to 5 years. A poster called Windy last year found about five definitions of this 'remisdion' which suggests they're all just making it up as they go along.

if I only have carbs in moderation, I should be fine
Depends a little if you have food addiction problems.. I know for example that bread is something I simply can't eat "in moderation" so I exclude it completely. The number of people I see on forums like this looking for bread substitutes makes it looks like it's a common addiction that is hard to kick.

Depends a little if you have food addiction problems.. I know for example that bread is something I simply can't eat "in moderation" so I exclude it completely. The number of people I see on forums like this looking for bread substitutes makes it looks like it's a common addiction that is hard to kick.
An addict's an addict.
You accept that is who you are, so Kudos for your solution.
But not everyone has the same addiction.

I like the comparison with a broken leg 🙂

I think of it like this, if I drink lots of alcohol I will get drunk, but that doesn't mean I am always a drunk. In a similar way if I overdo the carbs I will raise my BS and may end up in the diabetic HbA1c level again, so in the same way if I only drink in moderation, if I only have carbs in moderation, I should be fine, if I go on binges and regain 5 stone I would definitely be back where I started. I also beleive there are many people who have diabetes that are unaware, walking through town the other day and people watching, so many are similar to how I was, very big stomach and obese, I imagine if like me they keep ignoring it, when they reach later life they too may find themselves as diabetic if they are not already. Its sad but I really feel this is a growing problem, like a ticking time bomb, more and more people are getting diagnosed that previous years, it could be connected to lifestyle, less active over lockdown etc, (sorry gone off subject here) I suppose what I am trying to say, is whether you consider yourself as 'always' a diabetic or not, is how you perceive this condition, I do consider myself diabetic still, in the same way my son is still an asthmatic even though its under control, its a predisposal to a condition.

Yeah, my thing is a lot of things I never thought were that bad, can actually do a lot of damage to the body. I'm specifically talking French and Italian cuisine. Baguettes, croissants, spaghetti, wines, cappuccinos, chocolate, crepes, steak and french fries. These are foods I like a lot and would eat on a regular basis. Now knowing my trigs and blood glucose are high I'm disappointed I can't just eat these foods at will anymore.

The number of people I see on forums like this looking for bread substitutes makes it looks like it's a common addiction that is hard to kick.

Your confusing addiction with enjoyment, you can enjoy eating things everyday or every other day without being an addict, so kudos to those that look for alternative for things like bread.

Life is to be enjoyed & food is part of that enjoyment.

I was diagnosed as a T2. I was overweight, had a sedentary job, and ate all the wrong things.

I changed my diet, lost weight, exercised, came off all meds and my blood glucose and HbA1c have been non diabetic ever since. It's been over 2 years now and I eat pretty much what I want but I do keep my carbs low-ish (below 150g a day) but occasionally higher, nothing now seems to upset my BG badly.

I monitor everything every day and find that very useful.

I am still classed as diabetic and, as others have said, maybe that's a good thing because the continuing NHS tests ensure nothing gets missed.

Oh, and food... I eat cakes, chocolate, bread, you name it, but it all gets calculated into my diet so that my carbs stay low-ish and I do not put on weight (calories below my personal limit). My secret is the careful balancing of everything. And do I suffer? Nope. I enjoy my food and the variety and the knowledge that because I calculate everything then all should be good. If I didn't have my App to calculate and see everything then I would probably be in a continuing mess, but as it is now, all is good....tonight for tea, cheese and tomato pizza but not too much of it.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
But not everyone has the same addiction.
Hence my use of the useful word "if"

I didn't say everyone was or that we were addicted to the same thing.

Hence my use of the useful word "if"

I didn't say everyone was or that we were addicted to the same thing.

I quite agree.
You have an addiction.
We don't, so your solution only applies to you.
Don't confuse the fact others enjoy food with your feelings towards it.
It's you who have no idea what you are talking about then, if you start to project your feelings into us.

Yeah, my thing is a lot of things I never thought were that bad, can actually do a lot of damage to the body. I'm specifically talking French and Italian cuisine. Baguettes, croissants, spaghetti, wines, cappuccinos, chocolate, crepes, steak and french fries. These are foods I like a lot and would eat on a regular basis. Now knowing my trigs and blood glucose are high I'm disappointed I can't just eat these foods at will anymore.
I love all of the things you mention too. I love Italian foods, my favourite dishes are pasta based. Lasagne, Spag Bolg, etc, not a fan of pizza as that always made me feel bloated after a couple of slices, maybe my body was warning me then! I love some Greek food too, Moussaka etc and garlic bread, plus a baguette filled with cheese, tomato, salad and salad cream would be my fave lunchtime go to.

I was thinking back to last year before my diagnosis and I suddenly started craving sugar in my tea, I would have 4 teaspoons in a cup of tea and think nothing of it and then literally the weekend before my test results I ordered some galaxy ripples, intending to eat one a day, in the end I ate all 12 in the same day! I was constantly craving sugar which was a massive change to how I was before when I would have preferred to indulge in sausage rolls, crisps and savoury snacks. I eat none of these things now and dont crave them, as I realise as soon as I ate them I would want another hence the addiction being fed and perpetuated.

Over the last few months I have educated myself about the nutrition in my food and still eat lovely tasty meals with moderate carbs but I know this isnt a diet its how I need to eat for life and thats OK, as I get joy from other areas, like being able to keep up with the family without being out of breath, wearing nice clothes from normal shops and the relief on my sons face now I have taken control is worth it alone, he was so scared I wouldn't live to see any grandchildren.

Having said all that, this is just personal to me, my cause was most definitely weight and disordered binge eating. This tripped me over the edge and my body couldnt cope with all the fat around my liver and pancreas. I feel so much healthier although I do look older around the neck and face, but a small price to pay (a fatter face is almost like botox to me 🙂 )

The steaks would be fine .. I'd heartily agree with avoiding the rest though.
I was living in France surrounded by fresh croissants, baguettes and crepes when I gained 5 stone and pushed myself into T2 diabetes. Cut out carbs almost completely and voila health improved immensely.

I love all of the things you mention too. I love Italian foods, my favourite dishes are pasta based. Lasagne, Spag Bolg, etc, not a fan of pizza as that always made me feel bloated after a couple of slices, maybe my body was warning me then! I love some Greek food too, Moussaka etc and garlic bread, plus a baguette filled with cheese, tomato, salad and salad cream would be my fave lunchtime go to.

I was thinking back to last year before my diagnosis and I suddenly started craving sugar in my tea, I would have 4 teaspoons in a cup of tea and think nothing of it and then literally the weekend before my test results I ordered some galaxy ripples, intending to eat one a day, in the end I ate all 12 in the same day! I was constantly craving sugar which was a massive change to how I was before when I would have preferred to indulge in sausage rolls, crisps and savoury snacks. I eat none of these things now and dont crave them, as I realise as soon as I ate them I would want another hence the addiction being fed and perpetuated.

Over the last few months I have educated myself about the nutrition in my food and still eat lovely tasty meals with moderate carbs but I know this isnt a diet its how I need to eat for life and thats OK, as I get joy from other areas, like being able to keep up with the family without being out of breath, wearing nice clothes from normal shops and the relief on my sons face now I have taken control is worth it alone, he was so scared I wouldn't live to see any grandchildren.

Having said all that, this is just personal to me, my cause was most definitely weight and disordered binge eating. This tripped me over the edge and my body couldnt cope with all the fat around my liver and pancreas. I feel so much healthier although I do look older around the neck and face, but a small price to pay (a fatter face is almost like botox to me 🙂 )

Addiction is the wrong word to be honest.
As proved above about people who are "addicted" to carbs because they are looking for low carb bread.
That shows the exact opposite in fact.
They like bread, agreed, but an addict would be eating carby bread regardless.
Looking for alternatives proves they aren't addicted.
You may have been a "binge eater" but once you recognised that and changed it, like me, it's is possible for me enjoy any food eaten sensibly in moderation, because if you see the overeating, the weight coming back on, you're simply be able to stop.
Only a real addict has that issue that it simply has to be cold turkey for life, we're not in that group.

Since I received the medical report saying my trigs were 210, and my fasting blood glucose was 130, and I have a 51.96% chance of developing diabetes in 10 years (maybe have it now???), I've only drank water for the last three weeks, and have not had any bread or 'processed food', and am fasting once a week, as well as doing sprinting on the track on saturdays. My next report is in the end of June for my job renewal and I will get my bloods tested then. Do you think I have time to reverse those numbers to normal in your experience? I really want a normal report. My BMI on Jan 30 was 25.1 and I feel I am losing weight now. How quickly did you get your numbers down? I don't want a diagnosis of diabetes or a recent record of high blood sugar or trigs on my record. I am also turning 42 next month and feel too young for this disease and feel a bit of shame for not eating better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back