On the verge

Status
Not open for further replies.
In trying to discover which foods are most appropriate, and thinking about breakfast today I read on Diabetes UK that seeded grained wholegrain bread was a good option and so eat two pieces with some marmite .... only to discover 45 minutes later that my mmol is currently at 9.1 (from 5.1) and rising. The highest its been since I started. Its very confusing
Bread being high carb is one of the things that people find they cannot tolerate and certainly not 2 slices as that can be nearly 40g carbs depending on the size of the loaf. The morning is often a time when people tolerate carbs less well.
The sort of breakfasts people have might be Full Fat Greek Yoghurt with berries and maybe a small portion 15-20 g of a low sugar granola or All Bran or eggs in any form with things like mushrooms, tomatoes and a small slice of toast.

I just noticed you said 45 min later but the usual time to test is 2 hours and looking for no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase of no more than 8-8.5mmol/l so you tested too soon. What you had might well have been OK.

Bread being high carb is one of the things that people find they cannot tolerate and certainly not 2 slices as that can be nearly 40g carbs depending on the size of the loaf. The morning is often a time when people tolerate carbs less well.
The sort of breakfasts people have might be Full Fat Greek Yoghurt with berries and maybe a small portion 15-20 g of a low sugar granola or All Bran or eggs in any form with things like mushrooms, tomatoes and a small slice of toast.

I just noticed you said 45 min later but the usual time to test is 2 hours and looking for no more than a 2-3mmol/l increase of no more than 8-8.5mmol/l so you tested too soon. What you had might well have been OK.
Some also find some types of bread suit, and some find those types don't suit them!

In trying to discover which foods are most appropriate, and thinking about breakfast today I read on Diabetes UK that seeded grained wholegrain bread was a good option and so eat two pieces with some marmite .... only to discover 45 minutes later that my mmol is currently at 9.1 (from 5.1) and rising. The highest its been since I started. Its very confusing

Bread can be one of the tricky things. Seedy bread can help as we can’t easily break down the seeds, but modern wheats are more easily accessed by the gut (depending on an individual’s gut biome). Personally I find seedy bread OK with the benefit of insulin (noticeably better than white), but others on the forum find bread to be a bit of a BG nemesis.

One of the benefits of having access to BG levels (either via fingerprick or sensor) is that you can check whether a food’s reputation holds true for you.

Absorption of foods can be fiercely individual (sometimes completely illogically so). You may find you have more license with ‘risky’ foods than you might imagine (eg a small amount of chocolate, or a tropical fruit), but that something with a very ‘slow release’ reputation like porridge causes you a major BG bump.

It’s all a question of experimenting for what works for you personally, and recognising that there’s no ‘one size fits all’ list of foods, portion sizes, or carbs-per-day that will work for everyone 🙂

Yes, as @Leadinglights says, timing can be important in reviewing results. In some people with T2 the first phase insulin response can be a bit mangled, so a rapid rise immediately after eating will be brought down by the second phase insulin over those couple of hours.

Some prefer to try to reduce the highest peak… others are happy for those short term excursions to happen as they don’t last long, and focus more on the 2hr target of no higher than 8.5mmol/L

Thank you, yes going out to buy some berries. I have that sensor so I can see real time what the mmol/l is showing, between 9.15 it was around 5.1 and around 45 - 50 mins later at 9.1, now at 10.50 its at 6.3 and slowly going down. I have Bran Flakes as opposed to All Bran and the packet shows fat 0.7, Saturates 0.1, sugars 4.2g so I'm guessing that may not be a good choice? Diabetes UK also shows mashed Bananas as a good choice, but I ready elsewhere it is not!

Edit: now down to 4.8 mmol/l and dropping

Last edited:
Bread can be one of the tricky things. Seedy bread can help as we can’t easily break down the seeds, but modern wheats are more easily accessed by the gut (depending on an individual’s gut biome). Personally I find seedy bread OK with the benefit of insulin (noticeably better than white), but others on the forum find bread to be a bit of a BG nemesis.

One of the benefits of having access to BG levels (either via fingerprick or sensor) is that you can check whether a food’s reputation holds true for you.

Absorption of foods can be fiercely individual (sometimes completely illogically so). You may find you have more license with ‘risky’ foods than you might imagine (eg a small amount of chocolate, or a tropical fruit), but that something with a very ‘slow release’ reputation like porridge causes you a major BG bump.

It’s all a question of experimenting for what works for you personally, and recognising that there’s no ‘one size fits all’ list of foods, portion sizes, or carbs-per-day that will work for everyone 🙂
Having the benefit for this month of the sensor that's exactly what I'm doing, trying to figure out what suits and what doesnt. Having read through a Freshwell book on diets I'm already realising the differences between what they suggest and what Diabetes UK suggest, hence a lot of my confusion I think. Christmas is going to be a challenge 🙂

Having the benefit for this month of the sensor that's exactly what I'm doing, trying to figure out what suits and what doesnt. Having read through a Freshwell book on diets I'm already realising the differences between what they suggest and what Diabetes UK suggest, hence a lot of my confusion I think. Christmas is going to be a challenge 🙂
The nutritional information you need to be looking at is the carbohydrate not just or even the sugar content and compare that. My classic example is puffed wheat which has only 0.6g sugar per 100g but a whopping 69.6g of carbohydrate so definitely not a good choice (not that they are a good choice anyway as they are revolting 🙂 ).
All Bran is lower carb than Bran flakes.
Don't forget you are only in the 'at risk' zone so modest changes and substitutions are likely to be sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back