Omnipod5 pump self funding costs

I have also had to pay for everything that does come through on prescription as we are still waiting for her exemption certificate to come through.
You don’t need the physical certificate, you can show it online as soon as it’s been approved. Have you completed the form and then have your GP surgery actually sent it off for you?

Here’s how to check online https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/check-if-you-have-nhs-exemption

Please excuse my ignorance with the OmniPod. Well, I say "ignorance" but it is probably one of those cases where I have a little but not all the information.
For tubed pumps, the consumables are cannulas and tubing that are changed every 3 days while the pump is reused each time. The tubing and the cannula are the "pump consumables".
For a patch pump like the OmniPod, there is no tubing and the cannula is an integral part of the pump. So, what are the consumables for an OmniPod beyond the insulin and, maybe, the syringe to fill the pod?
My reason for asking is that the person you spoke to may have only been thinking about tubed pumps.

Pods come sealed in plastic packing @helli & syringe & needle are inside with pod.

Apart from controller which is rechargeable the only other thing sent out with pods is a recycling box to send pods back when finished with them, even then you just send them back when you've accumulated 20-30 pods.

You don’t need the physical certificate, you can show it online as soon as it’s been approved. Have you completed the form and then have your GP surgery actually sent it off for you?

Here’s how to check online https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/check-if-you-have-nhs-exemption
I was going to check with the doctors tomorrow because I had the same thought. Thanks for the link I will have a look. It’s much appreciated.

I have been on Omnipod Dash with Libre 2 for several years but have just this afternoon picked up my Omnipod 5 and a Libre 2+ to start using as a HCL. I received an email from Omnipod giving me some initial training videos and am having a group training session on 29th. Despite having been on a broadly similar system, there are some differences and I do think the training to convert to HCL is essential. May I suggest that if you do want to self fund you enquire as to whether a DSN could help train you?

All clinics are currently obliged to start T1s on HCL so it's possible that your clinic will be doing these training sessions (if they offer the Omnipod / Libre 2+ system) and maybe you couldn't tag onto a session.

Re the medical excemption cert...if you have applied, but it hasn't been processed yet, pay and ask for a refund receipt (fp 57) and your pharmacy will then give refund when you present this with the medical expemption cert

All clinics are currently obliged to start T1s on HCL
Hi @PattiEvans
If this is the case now that is excellent news.

I thought that there were still hoops to jump through for HCL, although what you have said fits with the most recent letter that I had from the hospital regarding my next pump. It certainly implied that everyone was being offered HCl now.

My clinic is very far from offering every t1 a pump, never mind hcl

Hi Sue
See
https://jdrf.org.uk/faqs-about-november-2023s-nice-recommendations-on-hybrid-closed-loop/
Though it's supposed to be for a select group there are loopholes and my clinic found the one that I fit. i.e. I'm already on an Omnipod pump and the contract is monthly, plus I'm on Libre 2 and substituting Omnipod 5 and Libre 2+ apparently won't cost any more. I was initially told that because my control was so good I'd be last in the queue. So I was suprised, but very pleased! However, they held a big meeting and invited every T1 in Cornwall and explained they were trying to get everyone on HCL.

Hi Sue
See
https://jdrf.org.uk/faqs-about-november-2023s-nice-recommendations-on-hybrid-closed-loop/
Though it's supposed to be for a select group there are loopholes and my clinic found the one that I fit. i.e. I'm already on an Omnipod pump and the contract is monthly, plus I'm on Libre 2 and substituting Omnipod 5 and Libre 2+ apparently won't cost any more. I was initially told that because my control was so good I'd be last in the queue. So I was suprised, but very pleased! However, they held a big meeting and invited every T1 in Cornwall and explained they were trying to get everyone on HCL.
Thanks Patti
It is great to hear that things are moving in the right direction, giving people a wider choice of ways of managing our condition.

Hi Sue
See
That sounds great! I got the impression from our local area that even if it were mandated overnight, they don't have the people to train etc.
Whilst i understand the need to help those with poor control, part of me thinks its a bit unfair.

That's similar to the situation in my clinic, but I think the head pump nurse has persuaded the powers that be to allocate more funding and she seems to have drafted in some temporary help from the DSNs who normally man the area clinics.

Yes, I agree in a way @Tdm, if those are the ones who don't try, but some people don't have the capacity to understand and apply the logic (ha ha) that's needed. When does logic ever enter into it???

Apologies to @Mst27 my post seems to have dragged this thread somewhat off the original enquiry

Back