Omnipod pod failure - does it happen often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How you finding battery life?
I've been putting it on charge when I go to bed and I noticed that it has between 83% and 90% of it's charge still there. I tend only to use it when I eat, which is twice a day - unless I put a temp basal on, but not done that since I'vebeen checking the battery life.
Ah yes, THAT alarm! It's only happened to me three times in the 18-months or so that I have been podding. The first time I was like you, searching the house from top to bottom for the source. When I realised it was from ME I didn't know how to shut the damn thing up. In the end I put it in a sink full of water while I calmed down and tried to find out how to do it. (BTW see page 123 of the manual for future ref.) And I could still hear it from the bottom of the sink.

The second time I was having supper with some friends in a restaurant, and the poor proprietor was searching his place from top to bottom before he came up and pointed out that it was coming from me. I just pulled it off and borrowed a paperclip from him. I just waited until I got home to replace it and took a correction dose. I kinda thought: think of all the times you've forgotten to bolus.

Oh, the joys of diabetes.
Yes, THAT alarm. Hubby was suggesting a bucket of water, but I remembered a post about someone putting it in water and that not doing the trick . Must have been you 😉 OMG! I can imagine the poor restaurateur running around looking for the alarm!

I was too panicked to think of looking in the User Guide DOH!

Yep, diabetes certainly dispenses it's servings of joy!

I've been putting it on charge when I go to bed and I noticed that it has between 83% and 90% of it's charge still there. I tend only to use it when I eat, which is twice a day - unless I put a temp basal on, but not done that since I'vebeen checking the battery life.

Yes, THAT alarm. Hubby was suggesting a bucket of water, but I remembered a post about someone putting it in water and that not doing the trick . Must have been you 😉 OMG! I can imagine the poor restaurateur running around looking for the alarm!

I was too panicked to think of looking in the User Guide DOH!

Yep, diabetes certainly dispenses it's servings of joy!

Same here, charge at bedtime each night, otherwise device just goes blank when most needed, suppose good thing is you can still use whilst on charge.

Putting pod in water wont silence alarm as they are waterproof, with second alarm hit mine with hammer as couldn't find paperclip & thing was getting on me nerves.

Still you should be able to see a message on your PDM and probably dactivate the POD and alarm with your PDM. The same as going to the final end of a pod (72+8h). With the OMNIPOD Dash I never had a leackage of the pod, only ones and it only happens that the pod was not fixed well on the skin and removed the syringe. Another time I got an alarm as the POD was not connected to the PDM (more then 4h, but I may mistaken about it) But I could get back the connection and switch off the alarm without deactivating the pod.
The following short video from OMNIPOD Uk may help for the different alarms on the OMNIPOD Dash system.

Strange, it's not unpleasant smell just unusual. How you finding battery life?
It smells like the water jars in my school art room, where we used to rinse our paintbrushes during a painting class. Exactly the same.

I hope this is a 1-off @Pattidevans - nightmare!

Curious - very distinctive pong - but I've never minded it. It seems to dissipate fairly quickly to me. Pete minds it. Well tough, mate!

Still you should be able to see a message on your PDM and probably dactivate the POD and alarm with your PDM. The same as going to the final end of a pod (72+8h). With the OMNIPOD Dash I never had a leackage of the pod, only ones and it only happens that the pod was not fixed well on the skin and removed the syringe. Another time I got an alarm as the POD was not connected to the PDM (more then 4h, but I may mistaken about it) But I could get back the connection and switch off the alarm without deactivating the pod.
The following short video from OMNIPOD Uk may help for the different alarms on the OMNIPOD Dash system.

Sorry @RTI thank you for your post. I have indeed watched those videos several times as I did again after reading your post. It does not reflect what actually happened. To be clear I had the message that the PDM was not connecting with the pod. I followed all the steps and went about deactivating the pod and then changing to new one... but if you take a pod off without deactivating it you get a totally hideous LOUD alarm. The PDM said it had deactivated the pod... but think about it... they weren't communicating and therefore the PDM had not deactivated the pod. As @nonethewiser also experienced it's very hard to silence that alarm. If you have never experienced it you wouldn't understand. P123 of the manual does explain. I was too stressed and somewhat too new to the system to get the manual whilst this hideous noise persisted.

Yes, @Pattidevans is right. THAT alarm cannot be turned off from the PDM. I don't think it's set-off only by taking the pod off without deactivating it, as it's happened to me when the pod is in situ and previously working normally. I think it's there to tell you that there is something seriously wrong with the pod and the pod and PDM cannot communicate with one another. That's why the alarm emanates from the pod itself and not the PDM. The only way to deactivate it is to remove the pod and initiate the autodestruct sequence with a pin or paperclip.

Thank goodness it only happens very rarely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back