Omnipod dash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the Dexcom will communicate directly with the Dash or Dash handset. At least, I've never been able to. Maybe I'm wrong and if I am, please let me know how to set it up.

I can think of three reasons
1. Not everyone is lucky enough to get a FGM or CGM on prescription and may not be able to afford to self fund
2. They do not 100% replace finger pricks. You must still finger prick at times to check readings
3. I believe the question refers to automatically transferring the reading from the meter to the Dash so you do not have to manually add it. I believe libre does not communicate with Dash. I do not know about Dexcom.
Yes, you maybe right
to 1) I made the extrapolation if you are able to fund privately an OMNIPOD (UK ~28£per pump / 3 days),
you maybe able to fund an additional 30% daily cost for an FGM (Freestyle sensor ~54£ and 14 days).
Also depends on the number of test-stripes you are. For 2-4 tests per day it may still be true for the cost.
Most of the health insurances and NHS are funding it for free (of course, if you fulfill some condition, check)

to 2) If you keep in mind that the FGM readings have a delay of 10-15mn you also will be able with the tendency given
by the FGM to extrapolate. But of course sometimes you may still need a finger-prick to check strange results.

to 3) The manual input is still much more comfortable than a finger-prick and it;s preparation, etc...and you can do it
as many times as you want.

I must say I went to a similar thought process than you. 4 years ago.
But I started at first with the FGM instead of the pump.

A) I am T1C since ~40 years and was finger-pricking ~10-12 times per day to get my blood-sugar/food under control.
But my overall HBA1C was always in the range 60 -80mmol/mol (7.5-9.5%) and higher.
4 years ago my Diabetic Team proposed me to to try a FGM (Freestyle) and I hasitate for some month
with very similar thoughts you had. At one point I said to myself just try it.
For me it was a revelation.
I thought that I knew myself and my insulin/blood-sugar behaviour after all these years with Diabetes.
But far of, in the following 4-6 month I learned so much more about the interaction of my body,
food-intake and insulin injection,
which I have never seen before with all my finger-pricks even with 10-15 times per day.

In the following months my HBA1C has improved from ~10% to ~6% and further with the time.
My low glucose events reduced drastically and were much less severe.

B) Two years ago my team proposed to switch to a pump.
Same process as before, I was checking all types of pumps and finally decided to take an
OMNIPOD as it is tubeless and more discrete and comfortable for control, especially at work.

A similar process as for the FGM, had to find out/adapt my Basal-profile and my rates, which took 1-2 month trial/error.

Result: - My diabetes results have improved dramatically,
- my diabetes work-load has reduced, as well
- my comfort, especially at work. No looking for a place to test, take out of test-strips, prepare the finger, etc..
- Even better for my injections.

All these I can do everywhere and discreetly, at work, in meetings, on the metro and without any hesitation.

Just waiting for a close-loop solution.

I can think of three reasons
1. Not everyone is lucky enough to get a FGM or CGM on prescription and may not be able to afford to self fund
2. They do not 100% replace finger pricks. You must still finger prick at times to check readings
3. I believe the question refers to automatically transferring the reading from the meter to the Dash so you do not have to manually add it. I believe libre does not communicate with Dash. I do not know about Dexcom.
Hi Helen,
just was reading around in the parts of the block and seems to be that you are not a newbie and seems to be that you are already on Freestyle Libre 2, so my introduction was a littlebit lengthly for you and non-country related.

Still don't understand why you have ask the question at the first place with all your experience seems to have.

Anyhow, are you UK citizen or from another country on the continent ? to adjust my future answers more specific.
My origin is German, but living since long in UK.

Hi Helen,
just was reading around in the parts of the block and seems to be that you are not a newbie and seems to be that you are already on Freestyle Libre 2, so my introduction was a littlebit lengthly for you and non-country related.

Still don't understand why you have ask the question at the first place with all your experience seems to have.

Anyhow, are you UK citizen or from another country on the continent ? to adjust my future answers more specific.
My origin is German, but living since long in UK.
No need to apologise.
The question was not from me - I was responding to your previous comments on behalf of another member ... and in case any others popped in and read the message.

But, yes, I am reasonably experienced pumper (not OmniPod) and Libre'er and very grateful to have both.

Hi Everyone
my fault I did not give you all the full picture so to speak. I have been diabetic over 20 years gone through diet/exercise, metformin, insulin pens and just at end of my second Roche pump. 3 months ago I got freestyle libre 2 funded as I was rollercoasting due to doing a lot more exercise and manual labour home projects (replaced my kitchen and built a log cabin home gym) during COVID instead of travelling every week and siting in front of computers all day - So I improved my HA1bc by around 30% but had the problem that with TBR's no insulin reduced insulin I was still hypoing then having to eat to bring myself up post efforts. So as my pump expires I looked at replacements for Roche due to EOL and pods. I made the decision to go omnipod this week.

interestingly due to being on Roche I had to still finger prick to get the pump bolus calc. So I have been putting roche meter bg readings into the libre APP every time I eat and comparing - I saw the range can be up to 20% different. From these forums it is pretty clear Dexcom is much better but having spoke to my GCM there is no way I would get funding I have improved my bloods too much.

So long story I was just seeing as one of you mentioned if I could get the reading from a BG finger prick into the dash without multiple manual entries in different devices like I do today. I will have to build confidence in the libre I think mid range readings are ok but high's and lows I would still need to finger prick. As I have times when the libre says blood going low at 4.5mmol and I am below 3 finger pricking - (luckily I get good symptoms/warnings myself)

I am also using Libre2 and Omnipod (3 years with upgrade to DASH 6 months ago) with massive improvement in control (compared to finger pricks and MDI) partly due to the tech and also due to retiring and giving myself more time to monitor.

Hope it won't be too long before Libre/Omnipod closed loop will be in UK - perhaps next couple of years. US version of DASH does take bluetoothed Ascensia finger prick info but not available in UK so manual entry of Libre data is only option at the moment. I have found it is really important to ensure I only get information from UK internet sites to really understand the tech.

Completely agree with the Libre2 lag in readings and have recently set my low alarm at a higher level in order to anticipate lows earlier - seems to be working. Overall though the alarms have allowed me to forget about my levels much more.

Can't wait for 'official' looping to be available - I know it is possible to self-construct but I am nervous/wary/tech unsavvy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back