Omnipod advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telle88

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has any feedback on using an omnipod? We've been pretty hesitant about trying another pump after Logan ended up in hospital because of a failed ypsopump. The diabetes team have now suggested the upcoming omnipod5 once it is released and want to admit him into hospital for a day or 2 when it's being started to avoid any problems like last time. I feel more at ease with this option but any opinions/advice about the omnipod in general would be so greatly appreciated

I’ve been Podding for almost a year and I’m really happy with it. It’s my first pump. It’s very straightforward to use - easy to fill the reservoir, very easy to attach and get the cannula in. I forget it’s there sometimes.

Before starting, I attended their Zoom Show&Tell session which was really informative - the reps were excellent, answering everyone’s questions. Then I ordered a dummy Omnipod to see if I was happy with the sticky patch and the size/shape of the Pod.

I’m not sure what the set up is with the Omnipod 5 - whether there’s a PDM (handset) or a mobile phone app. I’m not bothered about carrying around the omnipod Dash PDM as well as my mobile, but I know that some people’d rather have everything on their phone.

Good luck making your decision. @nonethewiser uses the Dash as well - can’t remember who else.

I'm now into my third year of podding. I had tubed pumps before that. I much prefer the freedom of being tubeless with the Omnipod. As Blodden suggests, I forget where I've put it most of the time between changes. I'm looking forward to the Omnipod 5 in conjunction with the Dexcom G6 and I've now received confirmation that the latter will be fully funded.

Omnipod user for last 10 years, first off using pdm to control pods then switched to Dash handset when it came available.

Like pump as its tubeless & that is why I went for it, had very few issues wirh it & when you do manufacturer is quick to send out replacements.

Was told end of last year that Omnipod 5 should be available by end of 2023, looking forward to making change as it integrates with Dexcom G6 so can automatically make adjusts to insulin delivery,

Said to dsn at time of switching to Dash that it would be great for youngsters as handset just looks like mobile phone, so it doesn't resemble a medical device.

Thank you for all of your replies, I'm really starting to feel that the omnipod is the way to go. We've just ordered a demo pod to test out. I'm really hoping that it works out this time, the ypsopump seemed to cause more problems than we had in the first place. Logan had just turned 5 at the time and the whole experience with the cannula insertions and tubing was just horrible, it really put us all off ever wanting to try it again. According to our nurse they never should have pushed for a tubed pump at his age anyway! But we all feel confident about the omnipod5, Logan and his twin brother, Ryder, are arguing over who gets to have the pump fitted first

Your boys are adorable. What a challenge for you, not only having twins but both being diagnosed type 1 at a similar time. Obviously you would never choose this for the little ones but it’s kinda nice that they have each other, can be a little alienating sometimes for the kiddies especially if they don’t know anyone else with diabetes. Hopefully technology will keep moving as the years go by and your type 1 momma job keeps getting easier.

Your boys are adorable. What a challenge for you, not only having twins but both being diagnosed type 1 at a similar time. Obviously you would never choose this for the little ones but it’s kinda nice that they have each other, can be a little alienating sometimes for the kiddies especially if they don’t know anyone else with diabetes. Hopefully technology will keep moving as the years go by and your type 1 momma job keeps getting easier.
Awh thank you so much, they both know how adorable they are as well and use it to their advantage a lot they are the only 2 children in their school with diabetes and they are also the first diabetic kids at the school! They take it in their stride though and all the kids in their class love them to bits and look out for the boys, they were all taught a mini lesson about why the boys have phones, may need a biscuit etc but until last month they had never seen the boys have their insulin injections. I get invited to the school trips as their carer for the day so lunch time rolled around and I just did it in front of the whole class without thinking and they were in awe haha and now they think the boys are superheroes. All the kids are taught that if they hear the boys hypo alarms go off in the playground they all stop and put their hands in the air to alert a teacher

Just started the Omnipod dash yesterday. Had a bit of an issue with overnight hypos and now reading through all the literature and waiting to hear from DSN, but I expect there’ll be a few adjustments at first. Otherwise nice not to be injecting. Also looking forward to the Omnipod 5!

Just started the Omnipod dash yesterday. Had a bit of an issue with overnight hypos and now reading through all the literature and waiting to hear from DSN, but I expect there’ll be a few adjustments at first. Otherwise nice not to be injecting. Also looking forward to the Omnipod 5!

Nice one, looking forward to omnipod 5 also.

I started looking at moving from DMI to pumps about this time last year. I was approved for the Omnipod in February and I have had it since March.
It’s been life changing.
I got the sample one and gave that a go about this time last year and then ordered a few other sample versions of other pumps.

It is hassle free, no tubes etc.
I have had only one that peeled off after a few days, and one last change day that didn’t stick at all. Not ideal so planning the change is the only hassle really. When in day say you will do it, and where.
I’ve done it at home, camping, at mu relatives and when that one peeled off stuck in traffic in our camper on the motorway (insulin air bubbles out the window) I wasn’t driving, thankfully.

The initial set up is good, and all the before bit, the sales. Ordering and other services is a bit varied. Depends who is on the phone at the other side.

One of the reasons I got this is because I play contact rugby and I must say it’s held up well with training, no matches since I got it. I didn’t want a pump I would need to take off for 2-2.5 hours so this is perfect.

Im only skinny but it works well apart from my legs which have scar tissue and slows up the insulin. Love it on my arm.

Heard on the news today that our local hospital is trialling a ’new’ diabetes management system, which I think is the loop system with the DexCom 6 and Omnipod 5 with some young patients. I’ve registered my interest in the Omnipod 5 - bring it on!

Omnipod are now sending out info about Omnipod 5 - works as a loop system with DexCom. If you contact them they’ll email you with updates. They are also providing a zoom workshop on Tuesday 27th which you can register for. Hope this helps with your decision-making.

Another interesting point, Freestyle Libre is moving over as a CGM this year. I’d expect this is to possibly make it usable for closed looping.

Slight niggle on Sunday, pdm was sending out alarm every so often, when checking alerts messages nothing there & pod didn't need changed, decided to restart device problem solved.

I started looking at moving from DMI to pumps about this time last year. I was approved for the Omnipod in February and I have had it since March.
It’s been life changing.
I got the sample one and gave that a go about this time last year and then ordered a few other sample versions of other pumps.

It is hassle free, no tubes etc.
I have had only one that peeled off after a few days, and one last change day that didn’t stick at all. Not ideal so planning the change is the only hassle really. When in day say you will do it, and where.
I’ve done it at home, camping, at mu relatives and when that one peeled off stuck in traffic in our camper on the motorway (insulin air bubbles out the window) I wasn’t driving, thankfully.

The initial set up is good, and all the before bit, the sales. Ordering and other services is a bit varied. Depends who is on the phone at the other side.

One of the reasons I got this is because I play contact rugby and I must say it’s held up well with training, no matches since I got it. I didn’t want a pump I would need to take off for 2-2.5 hours so this is perfect.

Im only skinny but it works well apart from my legs which have scar tissue and slows up the insulin. Love it on my arm.
Hi, google bought me here. I have had T1 for about 24 years now. I'm 29. I never wanted a pump as I have had a very active lifestyle, and I didn't like that when they first came out, closed-loop did not exist. However, I've had a Libre 2 for a couple of years now and love it, but I've still been injecting. After having started to use the Xdrip app, I've realized there are now so many better and smarter ways to control my levels. In summary, this brought me to the ominipod dash, possibly the answer to my prayers. My question, however, is, I also play rugby. Have you played with the dash? How has it helped would you suggest it or not?

I couldn’t recommend it more. And I also didn’t think about pumps until a few years ago.
For me it has been life changing. I suffer around my menstrual cycle and being on just one insulin I can control easier helps me manage those changes. My old background insulin would take days to change and I would just work it out and it would change back again, now it’s a preset mode I can change instantly.
I have loads less hypos, less than 1% of the time. Better time in range than before.
I get more sleep.
I honestly can’t believe the improvements in the quality of my life.
One of my reasons for chosing this pump was the fact I can keep it on for sports, I’ve not lost one yet and had nearly a full season of contact matches and training, I wear it on my bottom for matches and that works best for contact. I mix it up during the weeks, have worn on my legs and belly for contact. Not lost a pump or libre yet, during rugby, all weathers and knocks etc. I’ve had the one since 2020 so pretty good going.

I’ve actually been on the pitch with an opposition player and the referee all with Onnipod’s on. That was interesting.

I couldn’t recommend it more. And I also didn’t think about pumps until a few years ago.
For me it has been life changing. I suffer around my menstrual cycle and being on just one insulin I can control easier helps me manage those changes. My old background insulin would take days to change and I would just work it out and it would change back again, now it’s a preset mode I can change instantly.
I have loads less hypos, less than 1% of the time. Better time in range than before.
I get more sleep.
I honestly can’t believe the improvements in the quality of my life.
One of my reasons for chosing this pump was the fact I can keep it on for sports, I’ve not lost one yet and had nearly a full season of contact matches and training, I wear it on my bottom for matches and that works best for contact. I mix it up during the weeks, have worn on my legs and belly for contact. Not lost a pump or libre yet, during rugby, all weathers and knocks etc. I’ve had the one since 2020 so pretty good going.

I’ve actually been on the pitch with an opposition player and the referee all with Onnipod’s on. That was interesting.
Thank you for your response, one I didn't know it could be worn on the bum. I'll probably be using it with android aps that's if I can get hold of omnipods. Do you use any additional adhesives or anything is it uncomfortable if it gets hit? Does it affect the insulin delivery at all what do you use to control it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back