Omnipod 5 suspending for over 5 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant to say that dehydration is part of the risk of stomach bugs. I found this online which refers to that (my underlining):

Stomach virus: This can have the most urgent and immediate impact on your blood glucose levels and overall safety. If you start vomiting and cannot keep fluids (even just water) or food down, you should visit the nearest emergency department immediately.

When you’re unable to keep fluids down, two things can occur very quickly:

• You’re at risk of severe hypoglycemia depending on how much insulin is active in your system. This is a very good reason to ensure you have emergency glucagon on hand. If a stomach virus hits shortly after you’ve eaten a large meal, and you can’t keep the meal down — but you already dosed insulin for it — emergency glucagon can prevent or treat severe hypoglycemia. With or without emergency glucagon, consider calling 911.
  • You’re at risk of DKA triggered by severe dehydration which can lead to further vomiting and other life-threatening concerns. Just vomiting a handful of times is enough to trigger severe dehydration if you’re unable to quickly replenish the fluid you lost. Getting intravenous fluids during a quick hospital visit (sometimes less than 12 hours) can get you back on track and prevent DKA while those short-lived stomach bugs pass quickly through your system. Waiting too long to get intravenous fluids when you’re vomiting and unable to drink fluids can lead very quickly to DKA. Don’t wait!

I'm less than a week into using my Omnipod 5 and am well pleased with it. It does use "Smartech" to control & react to BG and it also learns during the first few week my eating habits and attunes to them too and makes predictions. I'm a little wary of how this is going to work just in case my eating habits are variable.
So far the control is very good with me remaining mid range between 4 -10. I have found use for the "Activity" position but not as it is intended but to stop me going low through the night. IE if I am not near 10 at bedtime I will switch on Activity which reduces the amount of insulin given. When a few weeks have gone by I will adjust my settings to suit my needs more and hopefully negate the need to use the Activity mode as I am.
It is a very useful tool to have to hand though only needing to select it and tell it how long you want it for.

I meant to say that dehydration is part of the risk of stomach bugs. I found this online which refers to that (my underlining):

Stomach virus: This can have the most urgent and immediate impact on your blood glucose levels and overall safety. If you start vomiting and cannot keep fluids (even just water) or food down, you should visit the nearest emergency department immediately.

When you’re unable to keep fluids down, two things can occur very quickly:

• You’re at risk of severe hypoglycemia depending on how much insulin is active in your system. This is a very good reason to ensure you have emergency glucagon on hand. If a stomach virus hits shortly after you’ve eaten a large meal, and you can’t keep the meal down — but you already dosed insulin for it — emergency glucagon can prevent or treat severe hypoglycemia. With or without emergency glucagon, consider calling 911.
  • You’re at risk of DKA triggered by severe dehydration which can lead to further vomiting and other life-threatening concerns. Just vomiting a handful of times is enough to trigger severe dehydration if you’re unable to quickly replenish the fluid you lost. Getting intravenous fluids during a quick hospital visit (sometimes less than 12 hours) can get you back on track and prevent DKA while those short-lived stomach bugs pass quickly through your system. Waiting too long to get intravenous fluids when you’re vomiting and unable to drink fluids can lead very quickly to DKA. Don’t wait!

This is exactly what happened to me. Suddenly started vomiting and could not rehydrate at all, ended up in hospital on the cusp of DKA.

It was very fast and very scary.

I'm less than a week into using my Omnipod 5 and am well pleased with it. It does use "Smartech" to control & react to BG and it also learns during the first few week my eating habits and attunes to them too and makes predictions. I'm a little wary of how this is going to work just in case my eating habits are variable.
So far the control is very good with me remaining mid range between 4 -10. I have found use for the "Activity" position but not as it is intended but to stop me going low through the night. IE if I am not near 10 at bedtime I will switch on Activity which reduces the amount of insulin given. When a few weeks have gone by I will adjust my settings to suit my needs more and hopefully negate the need to use the Activity mode as I am.
It is a very useful tool to have to hand though only needing to select it and tell it how long you want it for.
Glad to hear you are liking it! I’m pretty pleased too, but finding activity mode difficult! Some days it works absolutely perfectly and then some days it somehow doesn’t work as well. I’m hoping to find a pattern with this soon!

Overall I’m also very happy with it, although my lastest two pods have bled which hasn’t been ideal…hopefully that’s just been a coincidence!

In terms of the pump suspending, I’ve asked the omnipod trainer and he also wasn’t entirely sure about the dka risk in my circumstances, but did say the pump would alert if it thinks it’s been suspended for too long, so I suppose that’s reassuring?

Little tip worth trying. Went to bed last night then got alert on omnipod 5 controller that G6 sensor couldn't be found & it was searching for it, it tried searching for few minutes so decided to knock Bluetooth off on phone then switched it back on, pleased to say issue solved so worth noting.

Something similar from me @nonethewiser.
On Tuesday I changed over my Omnipod 5 pump and had it working straight away, well after a very short delay while it made its connection and found the G6 sensor. The next night Wednesday my G6 had run out and required changing. This time the pump and G6 wouldn't make a connection, just had the spinning disc saying searching. Starting to panic but wondered if this was down to the G6 taking 2hrs to wake up, so I waited. Viola, as soon as the 2hrs had passed the sensors connected, my G6 hugged my Omnipod 5 and all was well. I don't recall my trainer mentioning this delay but of course the G6 does normally take the 2hrs to come ready, I won't be surprised the next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back