Omnipod 5 and Libre 2+ a few thoughts

aflook

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum.
Just thought I would share my experience over the last few weeks of adjusting to the Omnipod 5 and Libre 2+ in the hope that it might be useful for someone.

Positives:
My nighttime levels are brilliantly consistent for the first time in years. I go cycling regularly sometimes carrying camping gear up hills and previously this has led to multiple hypos during the ride and more severely and frequently the night after. This in spite of halving basal rates, reducing boluses etc. Recently I did a two day ride and camp in the Peak District following the instructions to use the Acivity setting (which I applied for 48 hours) and reduce boluses by 25%. To my amazement I did not get a hypo in the night at all, and only one or two during the ride itself.
My general levels are less spiky by a long chalk so long as I am careful with carb-counting.
Fewer hypos generally.
Easier to give a quick bolus for a snack.

Negatives:
Not much support after training to answer the questions I didn't think to ask (but I haven't contacted my clinic).
PDM daily losing contact with the sensor (often at the most inconvenient moment eg just before a meal) for an hour or more. After talking to Insulet and Abbott I have replaced the Libre and that seems better so far. (Abbott sent me a new one).
No way of getting alerts/notifiacations on my phone (useful when driving or cycling).
No way of using a reader to give an instant check. This was part of my swimming routine when I would keep the reader at the end of the lane and check my levels every 16 lengths or so. I wasn't sure if the sensor and the pod would talk to each other in the pool and worried about having a hypo as I no longer get the clear warnings as I used to years ago. Somehow dealing with a hypo when you're in the pool seems particularly awkward. I tried putting the PDM at the end of the lane but it lost contact when I was swimming and so I had to wait for some minutes before getting the reassurance I wanted. I am learning to trust the system a bit more and today I left the PDM in the locker and all was fine. I can't resist a little carb pre-loading though, although Insulet say it isn't necessary. Perhaps next week...
I am not sure if the pod will still respond to the sensor when out of the PDM range.

It looks from this as if the negatives outweigh the positives, but although the loss of contact for extended periods is frutrating, I am overall very pleased with the ease of managing my diabetes. I hope this will be reflected in my overall glucose levels, but the big win for me at the moment is the day-to-day convenience.

Cheers
Adrian

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences @aflook

There’s nothing quite like hearing from someone actually using the kit ‘in the wild’!

Just thought I would share my experience over the last few weeks of adjusting to the Omnipod 5 and Libre 2+ in the hope that it might be useful for someone.

Positives:
My nighttime levels are brilliantly consistent for the first time in years. I go cycling regularly sometimes carrying camping gear up hills and previously this has led to multiple hypos during the ride and more severely and frequently the night after. This in spite of halving basal rates, reducing boluses etc. Recently I did a two day ride and camp in the Peak District following the instructions to use the Acivity setting (which I applied for 48 hours) and reduce boluses by 25%. To my amazement I did not get a hypo in the night at all, and only one or two during the ride itself.
My general levels are less spiky by a long chalk so long as I am careful with carb-counting.
Fewer hypos generally.

Negatives:
Not much support after training to answer the questions I didn't think to ask (but I haven't contacted my clinic).
PDM daily losing contact with the sensor (often at the most inconvenient moment eg just before a meal) for an hour or more. After talking to Insulet and Abbott I have replaced the Libre and that seems better so far. (Abbott sent me a new one).
No way of getting alerts/notifiacations on my phone (useful when driving or cycling).
No way of using a reader to give an instant check. This was part of my swimming routine when I would keep the reader at the end of the lane and check my levels every 16 lengths or so. I wasn't sure if the sensor and the pod would talk to each other in the pool and worried about having a hypo as I no longer get the clear warnings as I used to years ago. Somehow dealing with a hypo when you're in the pool seems particularly awkward. I tried putting the PDM at the end of the lane but it lost contact when I was swimming and so I had to wait for some minutes before getting the reassurance I wanted. I am learning to trust the system a bit more and today I left the PDM in the locker and all was fine. I can't resist a little carb pre-loading though, although Insulet say it isn't necessary. Perhaps next week...
I am not sure if the pod will still respond to the sensor when out of the PDM range.

It looks from this as if the negatives outweigh the positives, but although the loss of contact for extended periods is frutrating, I am overall very pleased with the ease of managing my diabetes. I hope this will be reflected in my overall glucose levels, but the big win for me at the moment is the day-to-day convenience.

Cheers
Adrian
An interesting summary @aflook

Each of the HCL systems has pros and cons, and it is a case of finding what suits us best.
I nearly threw my Medtronic away when I started nearly four years ago. It took me a good month to make it work for me but now plan to stay with this system at my next change over in December.

Good to hear you've seen some great improvements since making switch.

Use Dexcom G6 with my Omnipod 5, doesn't seem to lose connection that much compared to what you've wrote about Libre, maybe worth asking about Dexcom if your clinic will fund it.

Good to hear you've seen some great improvements since making switch.

Use Dexcom G6 with my Omnipod 5, doesn't seem to lose connection that much compared to what you've wrote about Libre, maybe worth asking about Dexcom if your clinic will fund it.
Thanks @nonethewiser. Things seem to be better with the new sensor so I ll see how it goes for now. I’ll ask about Dexcom at the clinic though.

I'm not on pump, however the libre 2 I know well.. remember its good technology but the times it says glucose reading unavailable for 10 minutes, it's calculating a change that's prob outside the trend or when you get a greyed out screen is more likely the Bluetooth connection nfc whatever they call it.. with alarms make sure you phone gives permission to the app in the phones settings then adjust your settings in the app. To test it's working turn phone to silent you'll get an alarm on your phone that it'll disable that feature.. aeroplane mode or Bluetooth turned off will again alarm etc.. please remember your beloved finger pricking machine.. not only for glucose but ketones and hct.. blood draw from capillaries are more or less instant and accurate.. peace and love to all...

I'm not on pump, however the libre 2 I know well.. remember its good technology but the times it says glucose reading unavailable for 10 minutes, it's calculating a change that's prob outside the trend or when you get a greyed out screen is more likely the Bluetooth connection nfc whatever they call it.. with alarms make sure you phone gives permission to the app in the phones settings then adjust your settings in the app. To test it's working turn phone to silent you'll get an alarm on your phone that it'll disable that feature.. aeroplane mode or Bluetooth turned off will again alarm etc.. please remember your beloved finger pricking machine.. not only for glucose but ketones and hct.. blood draw from capillaries are more or less instant and accurate.. peace and love to all...
I understand what you are saying but the OP is on the same system I am on and it doesn't use the phone, it uses the pod pump and the sensor to talk to each other and a handset. You have to forget everything you knew and learn a totally new system.

Hello Aflook

I was so interested in reading your experiences because I started on the same system this Monday. I had the training online in a Teams meeting with 10 other persons with T1 my DSN and a trainer from Omnipod. It's a lot to take on board in 2.5 hours because in some ways it asks you to forget everything you have known and relearn how to manage your T1D. I am also feeling the lack of support as no one is there to ask questions of.
My sensor lost contact for over an hour on day 2 of the new regime. I took it off and rang Abbott who said they would replace it. I recieved the replacement today - a Libre 2. I rang them and they apologised and are sending a Libre2+ I am now on the second sensor and yes, it does lose contact for several minutes from time to time. I don't know if this is normal for this system or not.

Today - day 5 has been a roller coaster. I had no breakfast and a good line. Then a lunch of a sandwich of bread and meat 35g carb. Bread is a nightmare for me, but I wanted something quick. Then despite an accurate carb count I peaked at 14.7 and endured the 5 minute alarms all afternoon and I took the bolussing advice - then had my first hypo in over 90 days. I think I did over-treat said hypo and then shot up again to 13.8. Hopefully it will level out.

My sensor does lose contact periodically and I find it worrying. I was going to start a new thread, but your experiences were interesting for me.

Thanks Benj84. Good advice for the 2, but the + doesn’t use my phone, just a dedicated controller. Which is taking some getting used to!

Positives:
Fewer hypos generally.

Negatives:

Cheers
Adrian
I’ve meet another T1 who plays rugby and has a pump (I can’t remember which) and the Dexecom and she only needs to go near hers now and then during matches for it to keep working. There must be a work around. But I suppose swimming is faster so maybe that’s why it doesn’t work.
Rugby has some time for breaks (penalties and when someone is kicking for conversion) so she uses this time to make sure she’s contacted as I would use it to scan my libre and treat as needed. Sure you will find a way for it to work better.
Thanks for sharing the update, I grab get the libre 2 plus on my prescription now, still have a free of the libre 2s to use up first and my team haven’t updated on the Omnipod 5 but I don’t think it’s too far off for our clinic, so very useful

Are the new Omnipod’s essentially the same with a different software? The cannula material has pretty much ended the hope of a nice little closed loop number for us. We’ll, unless they are offering a different material!

Attachments

• IMG_7939.jpeg
    IMG_7939.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 8
I believe they are pretty much the same, the one they sent in error appears the same other than the name on it. And that it will not work with the current PDM.
There are other HCL systems out there but you may have to go tubes pump, plenty of children have managed with these before patch pumps. And there is another patch pump I believe but I’m not sure on the details.

I believe they are pretty much the same, the one they sent in error appears the same other than the name on it. And that it will not work with the current PDM.
There are other HCL systems out there but you may have to go tubes pump, plenty of children have managed with these before patch pumps. And there is another patch pump I believe but I’m not sure on the details.
Did yours look the same when you had that recent issue? Get that strong smell of insulin so it’s clearly not going in.
Might try and muddle through until that Tandem Mobi comes out. Tubed but looks like it’s pretty small so can be stuck on like a pod.

Positives:
Fewer hypos generally.

Negatives:

Cheers
Adrian
Interesting to hear your views, I've been on mine for for 6 days, and concur mine are similar. Once it gets BG within range it does a bonza job of keeping everything stable. Reading BG is a faff with pin input etc, when I'm working I wear thick gloves, often covered in mud. The reader used to be light easy and effective.

I've had some comms issues too but between pod and sensor (when I had the sensor on my arm and pod on my abdomen) I eventually had to changed the pod after being unable to run in automatic mode for a few hours, or read my BG. This resolved it (both on my arm now) but aware I'll be wanting to rotate sites so not sure how to overcome this.

I didn't receive training so finding my own way. The preloading thing is interesting, my BG always starts increasing from around 7am. Previously I'd have an increased basal from 5am, then pre load my bolus, wait for BG to start dropping the eat breakfast. (30-60 mins typically)
Using libre 2 plus and Omnipod 5, this technique is not possible, auto bolus isn't quick enough to keep pace with rising BG. A pre bolus doesn't work, because the pump cuts the basal so sugars are rising not dropping whilst I wait for breakfast.

I understand however tempted, not to fiddle, let it work it's own thing out. Interestingly, I used to bolus for a beer, now I just let it chug away in the background keeping stuff level.

I guess its a learning exercise for both me and machine 😎.

Interesting to hear your views, I've been on mine for for 6 days, and concur mine are similar. Once it gets BG within range it does a bonza job of keeping everything stable. Reading BG is a faff with pin input etc, when I'm working I wear thick gloves, often covered in mud. The reader used to be light easy and effective.

I've had some comms issues too but between pod and sensor (when I had the sensor on my arm and pod on my abdomen) I eventually had to changed the pod after being unable to run in automatic mode for a few hours, or read my BG. This resolved it (both on my arm now) but aware I'll be wanting to rotate sites so not sure how to overcome this.

I didn't receive training so finding my own way. The preloading thing is interesting, my BG always starts increasing from around 7am. Previously I'd have an increased basal from 5am, then pre load my bolus, wait for BG to start dropping the eat breakfast. (30-60 mins typically)
Using libre 2 plus and Omnipod 5, this technique is not possible, auto bolus isn't quick enough to keep pace with rising BG. A pre bolus doesn't work, because the pump cuts the basal so sugars are rising not dropping whilst I wait for breakfast.

I understand however tempted, not to fiddle, let it work it's own thing out. Interestingly, I used to bolus for a beer, now I just let it chug away in the background keeping stuff level.

I guess its a learning exercise for both me and machine 😎.
It’s a learning curve isn’t it. I’m similar to you in the rise in BG from about 6am. I’ve followed the training/instructions and give the bolus 20 mins before breakfast. This seems ok with less of a spike than I used to get. I tell it slightly more carbs than I calculate and let it reduce the background insulin later if it needs to. Could be I’ve been doing underestimating my breakfast carbs for years. I find the gaps in communication really frustrating, especially as the finger prick reader I have always needs recharging.

I’ve meet another T1 who plays rugby and has a pump (I can’t remember which) and the Dexecom and she only needs to go near hers now and then during matches for it to keep working. There must be a work around. But I suppose swimming is faster so maybe that’s why it doesn’t work.
Rugby has some time for breaks (penalties and when someone is kicking for conversion) so she uses this time to make sure she’s contacted as I would use it to scan my libre and treat as needed. Sure you will find a way for it to work better.
Thanks for sharing the update, I grab get the libre 2 plus on my prescription now, still have a free of the libre 2s to use up first and my team haven’t updated on the Omnipod 5 but I don’t think it’s too far off for our clinic, so very useful
The rugby issue is very interesting. It does seem from reading other threads and posts that the Dexcom is more reliable but I suspect my NHS trust does not fund it. Will have to ask.

It’s a learning curve isn’t it. I’m similar to you in the rise in BG from about 6am. I’ve followed the training/instructions and give the bolus 20 mins before breakfast. This seems ok with less of a spike than I used to get. I tell it slightly more carbs than I calculate and let it reduce the background insulin later if it needs to. Could be I’ve been doing underestimating my breakfast carbs for years. I find the gaps in communication really frustrating, especially as the finger prick reader I have always needs recharging.
It's a shame I wasn't offered any training, still not too difficult to work out, I'll try that breakfast thing.
I've not has any comms problems now both devices are on the same arm ( I've still a libre 2 on the other arm as a control check, it expires in a couple of days) Where are you wearing yours?

A couple of software tweaks would be useful, ie BG on the 1st page instead of tge time, and a couple of time segments for target ranges, so automatically going onto a different target range overnight.

I wonder if there's a suggestion box? Overall v happy though.

ETA I find accucheck mobile a decent BG meter for an active lifestyle. A single 50 test cassette with no need for fiddly strips.

Last edited:
Oops sorry posted too quickly. Maybe part of the upgrade or just fat fingers...

I'm on omnipod 5 with dexcom G6. The nurse did tell me on Friday that the NHS will pay for libre 2+ rather than me self funding so I'm v interested in exploring.

But did I read right that you can't use it just with a phone? So you have a separate controller for the omnipod and a separate reader for libre?

To your original point, the overnight control is a game changer for me. I pretty much know I'll wake up between 5 & 7 BS irrespective of exercise etc. Apart from a cheese and bread binge that is, that's just way too delayed a glucose release!

Back