Ok selftesting I don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
God Andy I LOVE YOU...I drink tons of coffee, no sugar hardly any milk...glad to know it shouldn't be affected the levels. Don't know why they are high...I had porridge for breakfast!!

Got a hospital appointment tomorrow so I can find out what I'm doing wrong!! They are still trying to decide if I need more medication or am insulin dependant so this isn't looking good so far!

Don't know why they are high...I had porridge for breakfast!!

You may have answered your own question there. While porridge is nicely low GI, it may be that your system finds a decent bowlful of it tricky to manage. Not necessarily - everyone's different. It would be interesting to see what happened if you had an omelette or something with very little carb in it as an experiment.

M

Last edited by a moderator:
God Andy I LOVE YOU...I drink tons of coffee, no sugar hardly any milk...glad to know it shouldn't be affected the levels. Don't know why they are high...I had porridge for breakfast!!

Got a hospital appointment tomorrow so I can find out what I'm doing wrong!! They are still trying to decide if I need more medication or am insulin dependant so this isn't looking good so far!

Gosh! 😱

You may also have started high and so the porridge would have just added to the level. Everydayupsanddowns suggestion is a good one.

Good luck with the appointment.

Andy 🙂

You may have answered your own question there. While porridge is nicely low GI, it may be that your system finds a decent bowlful of it tricky to manage. Not necessarily - everyone's different. It would be interesting to see what happened if you had an omelette or something with very little carb in it as an experiment.

M

Yes cereals can shoot me up - I was having Weetabix for years but now switched to Lizi's Granola but only a couple of time a week. takign most of the carbs out of my brekkies (have grilled bacon, yoghurt & fruit & seeds) helped me drop 1 to 2 points. Now I have settled I am testing for Burgen bread as I so miss my toast.....have to add that all this testing was since I went on Byetta and that has really allowed me to goain control...now doing the tweaking. Can't belive I have been on the spit since October- small steps but in the right direction I am pleased to say.

Lolavegas - has Byetta been mentioned in your case?

Yes, if Metaformin doesn't give the right results Byetta was mentioned.

This is the frustrating thing isn't it? I'm sure you have all found this! So I have been forcefeeding myself porridge with blueberries every morning believing that was the right thing to do and it may not be helping!!

I don't know if anyone has any tips on this but the testing kit is Accu-chek and it came with two drums of 6 lancets...once used they jam...the first drum we managed to jam closed while trying to make it work...went to buy some more at my local chemists and they only have a big box of 200 for ?30!!

Can I buy small quantities anywhere? Or can I unjam the unused drum? My doctors appointment for prescription is next week, I just need a few for now.

Type 1s don't need to snake between meals.

i am sure if you do a physical job you need a snack at least my collegue does and she is a very good controlled diabetic and children as well needs snacks !!!

If I do a lot of physical exercise (or at least more than usual!) then I need a snack afterwards, particularly now we have changed from 2 injections to MDI and the overall control is better

Yes, if Metaformin doesn't give the right results Byetta was mentioned.

This is the frustrating thing isn't it? I'm sure you have all found this! So I have been forcefeeding myself porridge with blueberries every morning believing that was the right thing to do and it may not be helping!!

I don't know if anyone has any tips on this but the testing kit is Accu-chek and it came with two drums of 6 lancets...once used they jam...the first drum we managed to jam closed while trying to make it work...went to buy some more at my local chemists and they only have a big box of 200 for ?30!!

Can I buy small quantities anywhere? Or can I unjam the unused drum? My doctors appointment for prescription is next week, I just need a few for now.

What lancets do you use? I used to have an Accu-chek Advantage which took thesehttp://www.expresschemist.co.uk/Accu-Chek-Softclix-XL-Lancets-x50.html
Not sure what you mean by "jamming"? Do you mean that you can't use the lancet device or "pricker" after the first use? With my one you had to reset the pen so that the needle would work again (they don't suggest you reuse but that is not always an option when having to pay for them is it)- is this when it is jamming?

Re your brekkies- my DSN would tell you that porridge and bluberries is a fine meal but like we have been discussing, it is really down to the individual and I hope you can get some testing strips and lancets prescribed so that you can refine your diet to suit you by testing, if only for a limited period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back