Oh don't do that...you're a diabetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I mention to people say at work that I'm diabetic I can almost hear cogs in their brains whirring away as I'm thinner and fitter (in the exercising sense 😉) than most of them and in their minds, diabetes = fat. I then rarely get the 'you shouldn't be having that comments' when eating anything.

diabetes = fat
I find that portrayal in the media really iterating, yes I was a little on the chubby side at DX but in no way obese nor (despite a sedentary primary occupation) did it prohibit me from doing SAR or Paid Call Firefighting. Now, at 170lb, I am still diabetic & in the best shape I have been for 30 years.

As a side-note, County Fire just had to spend a fair few grand on me as none of my safety equipment fitted anymore 🙂

I find that portrayal in the media really iterating, yes I was a little on the chubby side at DX but in no way obese nor (despite a sedentary primary occupation) did it prohibit me from doing SAR or Paid Call Firefighting. Now, at 170lb, I am still diabetic & in the best shape I have been for 30 years.

As a side-note, County Fire just had to spend a fair few grand on me as none of my safety equipment fitted anymore 🙂

It's certainly irritated me over the years with Type 1 being an autoimmune condition. My weight hardly ever alters and I weigh the same now as I did when diagnosed 30 years ago. I've been to the clinic today and BMI still the same as last time at 19.0.

Well done on the weight loss. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back