Oh don't do that...you're a diabetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Bucknell

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
As I'm making my gluten free cereal this morning (coeliac disease) I put a sachet of sugar on it. Just the 1. 1 teaspoon.
A colleague comes up and says oh don't do that. Why I ask. Your a diabetic and diabetics can't have sugar.

Was seconds from slapping her silly.

Anyone else experience anything like this?
Drives me mad!
Believe it or not I live with this disease and know what to do.
Get educated people before you spout out utter nonsense.

I would have likely responded with something along the lines of 'How long have you had a medical degree then?'

My father in law recently told me a spoonful of honey every day will cure my diabetes. Who knew! 😛

Just make sure you eat plenty of starchy carbs.

And we wonder why people say these things.

My daughter is absolutely sick of people telling her that she can't eat sweets! Doesn't mind so much if people ask, because then at least they are recognising that she should know better than them.
My daughter's dance teacher is a lovely lady but still can't quite get her head around the fact that my daughter can eat pretty much anything as long as we give her the appropriate dose of insulin; will always ask my permission if she's giving little treats to the class for any reason, and at her Christmas party she came out with the classic "we're having pizza and chips, not too much sugar in that is there?" No, but there's a ton of carbs, and pizza is notoriously difficult to predict how quickly your body will digest it...

We have been fairly lucky so far though, and apart from one incident at last year's school Christmas party, when a load of nosy teachers decided that my daughter could only eat sausage rolls after she'd already bolused for the big pile of biscuits on her plate (which almost ended in disaster, she tried to explain how it works but nobody would listen!) we actually haven't had too many of these issues yet. More to come In future though no doubt!

I must admit I've been guilty of doing this when I first learned my OH was T1, it's just a lack of knowledge although I realise now how annoying I must have been :D

I am told almost on a weekly basis that cinnamon will cure my diabetes!!!

Thought I'd share a message about positive support. A couple of weeks ago I found an envelope on my desk:
upload_2016-8-31_9-33-48.png
It was from Adrian, one of the young guys I work with. What a star! 🙂🙂🙂

(For those who can't expand their screens it reads "On loosing (sic) all the weight and quitting smoking! You're an inspiration! Well done! Love Adrian")

Last edited:
I used to feel really cross at the stupid remarks that people make but I now realise that it is ignorance rather than any kind of malice. It happens to most of us now I just try to smile and ignore them. Don't let them get to you 🙂

Thought I'd share a message about positive support. A couple of weeks ago I found an envelope on my desk at work:
View attachment 1770
It was from Adrian, one of the young guys I work with. What a star! 🙂🙂🙂

(For those who can't expand their screens it reads "On loosing (sic) all the weight and quitting smoking! You're an inspiration! Well done! Love Adrian")
Sounds like a nice lad.

Now get back to work!

I once got myself into a whopping row with a lady who became most irate because I flatly refused to accept her absolute crackpot suggestion that if I started drinking what she lovingly called Supergreens - a product made of what appeared to be grass cuttings and water and allowing a chromium tablet to dissolve underneath my tongue everyday then I my diabetes would effectively be 'cured' and I could stop taking insulin. She suggested that all doctors were being directly paid by pharmaceutical companies to propagate the sale of insulin enmasse to the NHS. When I offered her my thanks for her suggestion but said that if it was all the same with her I would continue injecting she actually took a poke at me and attempted to slap me across the face.

I once got myself into a whopping row with a lady who became most irate because I flatly refused to accept her absolute crackpot suggestion that if I started drinking what she lovingly called Supergreens - a product made of what appeared to be grass cuttings and water and allowing a chromium tablet to dissolve underneath my tongue everyday then I my diabetes would effectively be 'cured' and I could stop taking insulin. She suggested that all doctors were being directly paid by pharmaceutical companies to propagate the sale of insulin enmasse to the NHS. When I offered her my thanks for her suggestion but said that if it was all the same with her I would continue injecting she actually took a poke at me and attempted to slap me across the face.
What a charmer! 😱

I get it a lot. I save carbs so I can have a nicer dessert and get told I'm not allowed dessert. As it is a treat I tell people i n as many words to go away and mind their own business unless their brain is anywhere other than in their genitals...

I get the occasional "Oh, can you eat that?" I suppose it might take some getting used to. I stick with the "Yes, I can. My Pancreas is broken, not my tastebuds!" mantra. :D

After a few days of , getting that odd look when he saw what was on my lunch plate swiftly followed by * should you be eating that?* , then one day giving me some silly dietary advise, I'm afraid I snapped and told this family member, he didn't know enough about diabetes and was talking out of his arse.
What on earth were you eating I hear you ask, well my lunch is usually some Ryvita's and cheese or 4 or 5 celery sticks and some Hummous.

I have been in the odd argument with Rabid Vegans who state that:
  • Diabetes can be cured
  • HCLF plant based diets are the only way to cure diabetes

My daughter is absolutely sick of people telling her that she can't eat sweets! Doesn't mind so much if people ask, because then at least they are recognising that she should know better than them.
My daughter's dance teacher is a lovely lady but still can't quite get her head around the fact that my daughter can eat pretty much anything as long as we give her the appropriate dose of insulin; will always ask my permission if she's giving little treats to the class for any reason, and at her Christmas party she came out with the classic "we're having pizza and chips, not too much sugar in that is there?" No, but there's a ton of carbs, and pizza is notoriously difficult to predict how quickly your body will digest it...

We have been fairly lucky so far though, and apart from one incident at last year's school Christmas party, when a load of nosy teachers decided that my daughter could only eat sausage rolls after she'd already bolused for the big pile of biscuits on her plate (which almost ended in disaster, she tried to explain how it works but nobody would listen!) we actually haven't had too many of these issues yet. More to come In future though no doubt!
Hi. I might make the point that T1s can't eat anything they want unless they want to gain weight. Some control of the carbs is needed even when on insulin.

Hi. I might make the point that T1s can't eat anything they want unless they want to gain weight. Some control of the carbs is needed even when on insulin.
It depends what you want! If what you want contains more calories than you burn off, then yes, you will gain weight. Otherwise, you won't! This week I've been eating pasta, cake, you name it, and although my control hasn't been everything I'd like,( because I was on holiday and not able to follow normal patterns for injecting far enough up front not to spike) because I was walking up mountains for up to 6 hrs a day, I actually lost a kilo in weight.( now I'm home it's back to my low carb regime, because I won't be burning it off)

Thank you - that's the same regardless of whether you have diabetes or not - I don't actually let her eat anything in sight, but if she wants a piece of cake for pudding like many other people do then I don't see why she shouldn't have it. In a controlled portion size of course!
And yes, the blood sugars behave better if she doesn't eat masses of carbs, but everyone is allowed a treat sometimes. The point is that nosy people shouldn't say that she can't ever eat cakes and biscuits because that simply isn't true. At the Christmas party nobody told any of the other kids that they couldn't eat a plateful of biscuits - and it's not healthy for them either!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back