Odd looking poo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinealady

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I am a bit concerned. I've been on insulin now for 19 days and my poo is soft and caramel coloured. Scared that it might be a liver issue. Has anyone had similar?

Hi. I am a bit concerned. I've been on insulin now for 19 days and my poo is soft and caramel coloured. Scared that it might be a liver issue. Has anyone had similar?
Perhaps you should take a sample in to your GP on Monday so he can exactly what you mean and send it to the lab for further tests.
Could it be a reaction to a change in diet?

Perhaps you should take a sample in to your GP on Monday so he can exactly what you mean and send it to the lab for further tests.
Could it be a reaction to a change in diet?
My diet certainly has changed. Stupidly looked on Dr Google and now convinced I have something terrible x

I was on metformin for a few years but struggled to swallow them. I'm just getting over DKA so have gone on to insulin 19 days ago. Have cut my carbs right down and since then my poo has changed. Trying to reply to somebody but lost your post. Hope you can see this. Could it be lsck of fibre?

I was on metformin for a few years but struggled to swallow them. I'm just getting over DKA so have gone on to insulin 19 days ago. Have cut my carbs right down and since then my poo has changed. Trying to reply to somebody but lost your post. Hope you can see this. Could it be lsck of fibre?
Do be careful about cutting your carbs if you are taking insulin.

I was on metformin for a few years but struggled to swallow them. I'm just getting over DKA so have gone on to insulin 19 days ago. Have cut my carbs right down and since then my poo has changed. Trying to reply to somebody but lost your post. Hope you can see this. Could it be lsck of fibre
Do be careful about cutting your carbs if you are taking insulin.
How much per day is recommended pls as I am not having many at all.

I was on metformin for a few years but struggled to swallow them. I'm just getting over DKA so have gone on to insulin 19 days ago. Have cut my carbs right down and since then my poo has changed. Trying to reply to somebody but lost your post. Hope you can see this. Could it be lsck of fibre

How much per day is recommended pls as I am not having many at all.
You must have been given some guidance when you were prescribed the insulin. It will depend on what insulins you are taking and what dose you have been put on.
It is early days for you get so there will be a lot of learning. How are you monitoring your blood glucose levels and when?
How many carbs per day suggests you are thinking as if you are Type 2 dietary managed which if you are taking insulin you are now not and the criteria will be different.

I am type 2 and came off metformin as I could not swallow them. They started me on 10 units and am now up to 20 units. I have cut right down on carbs and am thinking it might be too low. The hospital didn't tell me a carb amount.

I am type 2 and came off metformin as I could not swallow them. They started me on 10 units and am now up to 20 units. I have cut right down on carbs and am thinking it might be too low. The hospital didn't tell me a carb amount.
What was your HbA1C as it seems a big jump to go straight the insulin when there are other oral meds available.
I think it was very remiss of them not to give you guidance about how many carbs you should have for the insulin dose.
I hope they have told you about having hypo treatment available at all times, day and night and everywhere with you.
What are your blood glucose levels like now when you test.

What was your HbA1C as it seems a big jump to go straight the insulin when there are other oral meds available.
I think it was very remiss of them not to give you guidance about how many carbs you should have for the insulin dose.
I hope they have told you about having hypo treatment available at all times, day and night and everywhere with you.
What are your blood glucose levels like now when you test.
It was 135 when they admitted me with DKA. Daily readings need to be 12 or below but they are averaging 15. I cannot swallow tablets.

If you’ve changed your diet, that could cause a colour change. If you were admitted to hospital, then the change of routine and stress can also temporarily mess up your digestion. A tummy bug is another possibility. There’s a mild one going round at the moment. No vomiting but a mildly upset stomach.

Could it be that I'm not having enough carbs to form proper poo or lack of fibre. Definitely taking a sample to the docs on Monday and am going to ask for a liver function blood test.

If you’ve changed your diet, that could cause a colour change. If you were admitted to hospital, then the change of routine and stress can also temporarily mess up your digestion.
Diet has changed dramatically. DKA was horrendous as was the hospital stay.

Yes, a lack of fibre can also affect the colour and consistency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back