Obsessive testing???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rachel, it appears you are not getting the care you are entitled to expect. I wonder if the Patient Advisory Liaison Service (PALS) can help at all?

http://www.pals.nhs.uk/cmsContentView.aspx?Itemid=944

Not sure if there is something similar for Scotland. Clearly, from the experiences of everyone responding here, you are being treated as though your 'obsession' is the main thing they need to keep an eye on, when in fact it is not an obsession by any stretch of the imagination. You also do not appear to be getting the same sort of treatment regarding your baby as others have reported. I'm not surprised you are upset about this, they appear to be treating you as an ignorant child rather than someone who by all appearances knows considerably more than them!

Oooooo!!!!! Grrrrrr!!! Try not to let it get you down, and take care of yourself the way you know how - and without the guilt trip they are trying to burden you with.

I can't believe they told you only to record your bg's once a week that is shocking 😱 I had to write down every reading. I can see why you think they are completely pointless! are they at least checking your urine each time you go in? x

Rachel I agree with the others, the advice you're getting is IMO terrible!

If the pump you get is a medtronic, they also do diaries to record blood sugar etc. It's one day per page, with space to record time, basal, bolus, correction, carbs eaten, set changes etc etc - there's tons of info for every day. I've always been encouraged to complete it as fully as I can. And the minimum number of tests per day with a pump I was told is 4, but more is better. How many people on pumps do your teamlook after? It doesn't sound like many to me.

Also my record (when pregnant) for tests was somewhere between 40 and 50 in a single day - I started the day with a nearly new pack of strips, they ran out the next day. I had a horrible hypo in the antenatal clinic and subsequent rebound after the hospital helped treat it (they got a bit carried away...), they admitted me to the labour ward for obs, I tested every 30 minutes for the whole time I was there.

Why aren't you getting growth scans by the way? Because I'm fairly sure you should be! At least in England and Wales where the NICE guidelines apply there should be scans at 28, 32 & 36 weeks.

Why aren't you getting growth scans by the way? Because I'm fairly sure you should be! At least in England and Wales where the NICE guidelines apply there should be scans at 28, 32 & 36 weeks.

It cant be a scottish thing as im in fife just over the water from rachel and I had all of the scans, more than normal I think.... I recon the problem is with the care team in general :confused:
Id be really annoyed too!!

It cant be a scottish thing as im in fife just over the water from rachel and I had all of the scans, more than normal I think.... I recon the problem is with the care team in general :confused:
Id be really annoyed too!!

I have checked and the borders, glasgow, fife and tayside all do scans from 26 or 28 weeks it is just my useless lot. Thye keep trying to tell me that they are not v accurate for identifying big babies so just measuring me is good enough unless there are other problems. I am sure it is just a money saving thing though.

I think I will get them when I get one when I get to about 36 weeks.

I wouldn't say that number of tests is excessive or obsessive, what i would be looking at is the associated anxiety.
I test 3-5 times per day usually, I have cut out any tests that I won't do anything about. I don't test 2 hours after meals as a general rule.
I hope that it doesn;t affect your pump start as I know you have been waiting a really long time for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back