Nurse appointment, HbA1c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph-YK

Much missed Member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Had appointment with nurse at GPs today. HbA1c is 48. Up from Januray.
December 2014: 64 (diagnoses, big infection)
March 2015: 55
August 2015: 47
January 2016: 46

The appointment was better than the others, although didn't have time to discuss everything. She actually some things, like telling me about the results & comapring with previous levels, without me asking.
Appears she's going on a general recomendation for levels, aiming for 54. (48/49 is the diabetic diagnoses level).
Didn't have time to discuse self testing. She did say didn't need to and would just worry me.
X-Pert course. She said she'd heard of it. Said I have the condition so go ahead and do it, send the form off.
So less than 16 months worth of catching up to do now. (That's how long since diagnosis.) She's going to make an appointment for in September.

Up very slightly Ralph, but you've been pretty consistent so well done 🙂 That old line about testing only worrying you always annoys me - some people are likely to be more worried NOT knowing what their levels are doing in between the HbA1c tests! 🙄 Hope you can get on the XPert course soon 🙂

Not a bad result at all Ralph.

Some usual old flannel from the nurse though. It's my body, I'll worry if I want to!

some people are likely to be more worried NOT knowing
Surely that Is every single patient with every single condition with any piece of information. We know we are stuffed. That's why silence on the part of Health Care Professionals is so bad. It's a known thing. There were programmes about it in the 80's.

I've ended up doing letters to the Drs before and after appointments. This is what I've noted down today:
Knowing is important for managing any condition, both practically and emotionally.
How can not knowing what is happening with my blood sugar levels be less worrying or stressful than knowing. We, patients, know we are f[edited deleted]. And silence/not knowing does not help.​

There was some research done a while ago that discovered that people who tested their blood and got high numbers often became depressed. HOWEVER...they were not told how to improve the numbers! Now, of course you'd find that depressing and worrying - but the point is that you test in order to get information that you can then use in order to modify your diet or future behaviour (like going for a walk after eating, for example). Conveniently, they spout the 'worry' theory in most instances simply as a justification for not prescribing the test strips thus (they think) saving money :(

There was some research done a while ago that discovered that people who tested their blood and got high numbers often became depressed. HOWEVER...they were not told how to improve the numbers! Now, of course you'd find that depressing and worrying
I get that. However, patients who don't know can be frustrated and depressed. They don't know if things have got better. I didn't know my blood sugar had gone down from when I'd been diagnosed. As far as I knew I've been as stuffed as when I was diagnosed, sat in hospital for 3 weeks on IV with an infection.
I'm still in a mood.
I remember programmes on the TV and radio years ago about the problems patients have who are not kept informed.

Oh yea, she did mention walking. Managed to ask why and she did tell me. They hadn't bothered doing this before.

I couldn't not test. It's the not knowing that would bug me.

I find it keeps me 'on track' :D

Thats a pretty good result Ralph. I think im with most on this one, I like to know what my levels are on a daily basis. Knowledge is key and if you didnt know what your levels are how can you know if you are going in the right direction and doing the right thing or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back