Numbness and tingling in hands seems uncontrollable at present

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely they can do something ?
No unfortunately once neuropathy sets in it’s a case of life long management, it ca t be reveresed as nerves are damaged, can just strive to try and stop it getting worse. I am not allowed any form of pain relief due to other medical issues so now on crutches at 44, constantly fall as a result and tear my shoulder frequently.

Do you get symptoms in both hands and both feet, or is it more in one side? If so, I'd recommend talking to yr doc about whether peripheral artery disease might be contributing to things. And probably even if it's both sides.

PAD is common and way under-diagnosed. It can often overlap with peripheral neuropathy, to the extent that it is a causal factor for some kinds of neuropathy. It's most common in the legs but it can also affect arms and hands.

Anyway, might be worth checking out.
Good point, there’s also an nhs screening trial now for pad and if you volunteer you to take part then you can get screened for free and can refer yourself.

Thank you , I am stressed to the max
I dont know if this helps you, but a couple of years ago, well, slightly more than that (pre lockdown) and pre diagnosis. I had pins and needles and tingling numbness in my wrists, I wasnt concerned too much as it wasnt painful and I just assumed I had leant on them badly and stopped the blood flow. This however used to come on at random times of the day, I could just be sitting still in a meeting and it would come on. I googled and saw that one of the causes could be diabetes but I disregarded that as I had healed miraculously fast from a serious burn recently which I remember thinking to myself, well at least I know I am not diabetic! Seriously, I have photos of my arm somewhere, I will see if I can find them. Basically we had a new hot water boiler for making tea and coffee installed at work and the nozzle the water came out of was further forward, so when I placed my cup under what would have been the old nozzle my arm was actually under the direct flow of the boiling water, also it was weird but I kept it there in shock for a few seconds until the pain hit, I luckily work for an ambulance trust and a couple of paramedics took a look at my arm, the skin was swollen and badly burnt. But over the course of 2 weeks, it lost a layer of skin but then healed and you wouldnt know it had ever been burnt. Sorry rambling off the subject here.

Anyway, I just sort of ignored my pins and needles and numbness, then it just went, after maybe 8 months of having it on and off, then lockdown and then last year I was diagnosed as diabetic, not sure if connected but if it was why did it get better without any treatment? I guess what I am trying to say is that not all conditions are linked back to being diabetic, and it could be something that will clear up, you are doing the right thing seeing your GP just try and not worry too much until you know what it is and how it can be treated, everyone has a different experience, story so yours may be a positive one 🙂

I am a worrier too so do understand, but in the words of a song, "When you worry you make it double" is something I try and remember, anxiety in itself can cause issues (I also have diazepam when I am stressed and unable to sleep so no judgement, just a fellow sufferer trying to perk you up and show you are not alone

No unfortunately once neuropathy sets in it’s a case of life long management, it ca t be reveresed as nerves are damaged, can just strive to try and stop it getting worse. I am not allowed any form of pain relief due to other medical issues so now on crutches at 44, constantly fall as a result and tear my shoulder frequently.
I don't have any pain

Can't you take paracetamol?

I dont know if this helps you, but a couple of years ago, well, slightly more than that (pre lockdown) and pre diagnosis. I had pins and needles and tingling numbness in my wrists, I wasnt concerned too much as it wasnt painful and I just assumed I had leant on them badly and stopped the blood flow. This however used to come on at random times of the day, I could just be sitting still in a meeting and it would come on. I googled and saw that one of the causes could be diabetes but I disregarded that as I had healed miraculously fast from a serious burn recently which I remember thinking to myself, well at least I know I am not diabetic! Seriously, I have photos of my arm somewhere, I will see if I can find them. Basically we had a new hot water boiler for making tea and coffee installed at work and the nozzle the water came out of was further forward, so when I placed my cup under what would have been the old nozzle my arm was actually under the direct flow of the boiling water, also it was weird but I kept it there in shock for a few seconds until the pain hit, I luckily work for an ambulance trust and a couple of paramedics took a look at my arm, the skin was swollen and badly burnt. But over the course of 2 weeks, it lost a layer of skin but then healed and you wouldnt know it had ever been burnt. Sorry rambling off the subject here.

Anyway, I just sort of ignored my pins and needles and numbness, then it just went, after maybe 8 months of having it on and off, then lockdown and then last year I was diagnosed as diabetic, not sure if connected but if it was why did it get better without any treatment? I guess what I am trying to say is that not all conditions are linked back to being diabetic, and it could be something that will clear up, you are doing the right thing seeing your GP just try and not worry too much until you know what it is and how it can be treated, everyone has a different experience, story so yours may be a positive one 🙂

I am a worrier too so do understand, but in the words of a song, "When you worry you make it double" is something I try and remember, anxiety in itself can cause issues (I also have diazepam when I am stressed and unable to sleep so no judgement, just a fellow sufferer trying to perk you up and show you are not alone
Thank you very much xx I am onto it

Have you tried Turmeric? I can't take pain meds either Turmeric was recommended and it sure does work.

Health anxiety is the absolute worst. It’s the reason I’m not around much these days. Thought I’d got on top of mine for a while, this Christmas and my holiday were ruined by diet/energy or rather lack of and the multiple problems I seem to have these days, always made worse by my anxiety. I have a lot of pins and needles also in my arms and hands mines when my shoulders are playing up though. Touch of hyper mobility. People are starting to make comments about my mood swings. Feel like people think I’m just a miserable cow these days. I do get it @Taffyboyslim the sleepless nights, the panic and that feeling in the pit of your stomach of sheer dread.

Health anxiety is the absolute worst. It’s the reason I’m not around much these days. Thought I’d got on top of mine for a while, this Christmas and my holiday were ruined by diet/energy or rather lack of and the multiple problems I seem to have these days, always made worse by my anxiety. I have a lot of pins and needles also in my arms and hands mines when my shoulders are playing up though. Touch of hyper mobility. People are starting to make comments about my mood swings. Feel like people think I’m just a miserable cow these days. I do get it @Taffyboyslim the sleepless nights, the panic and that feeling in the pit of your stomach of sheer dread.
I am so sorry you are not in a good place . Anxiety is a dreadful illness and whilst everybody experiences anxiety the difference between feeling anxious and the medical condition of anxiety is huge .

Has anybody considered that this may not be related to diabetes? I would recommend that you ask for referral to a neurologist. It's too easy for doctors to say "it's the diabetes". Certainly that if you didn't have diabetes, that referral would have been done already.

Has anybody considered that this may not be related to diabetes? I would recommend that you ask for referral to a neurologist. It's too easy for doctors to say "it's the diabetes". Certainly that if you didn't have diabetes, that referral would have been done already.

I have spoken to my diabetic nurse and 3 GPS and they all say its due to blood sugars . Apart from going private I think that's all I can expect really .

I have spoken to my diabetic nurse and 3 GPS and they all say its due to blood sugars . Apart from going private I think that's all I can expect really .
So what are your blood sugars?
I think you need to kick up big time and insist you are seen by someone who knows what they are on about.

I think you need to kick up big time and insist you are seen by someone who knows what they are on about.
Yup

Well if a diabetic nurse and 3 GPs tell me the tingling and numbness is blood sugar then I think it's fair to believe that ?

Did they ask what your BG levels are?

I thought you said that they hadn't tested your B12 vitamin levels in a previous thread even though you asked them to, but in this thread, I think you say that they did test them. Are you sure they tested them? ie can you see a result on your files?

It is possible that anxiety is causing the problem too. Tension in your neck and shoulders could easily pinch a nerve, so there are a lot of possible causes. Finding ways to relax like yoga or meditation, doing exercise, getting out for a walk etc would be beneficial for your general health, diabetes and anxiety, so worth looking into those sorts of options. As someone who also suffers from stress and anxiety, I know it can be really difficult to motivate yourself to get out but it really does help, if you can. Also, getting into a good sleep pattern and sticking to it..... I know I am bad for this, but when I can stay in a good sleep pattern it really helps. Exercise helps with that too. If the body is tired it is more likely to want to rest.

I hope you find some way to improve things because I know how anxiety can eat you up and make everything 10x worse than it needs to be. Sending (((HUGS)))

Did they ask what your BG levels are?

I thought you said that they hadn't tested your B12 vitamin levels in a previous thread even though you asked them to, but in this thread, I think you say that they did test them. Are you sure they tested them? ie can you see a result on your files?

It is possible that anxiety is causing the problem too. Tension in your neck and shoulders could easily pinch a nerve, so there are a lot of possible causes. Finding ways to relax like yoga or meditation, doing exercise, getting out for a walk etc would be beneficial for your general health, diabetes and anxiety, so worth looking into those sorts of options. As someone who also suffers from stress and anxiety, I know it can be really difficult to motivate yourself to get out but it really does help, if you can. Also, getting into a good sleep pattern and sticking to it..... I know I am bad for this, but when I can stay in a good sleep pattern it really helps. Exercise helps with that too. If the body is tired it is more likely to want to rest.

I hope you find some way to improve things because I know how anxiety can eat you up and make everything 10x worse than it needs to be. Sending (((HUGS)))
The last blood tests I had showed that my hbac levels were 53 , up from 52 but a lot lower than the 87 I first had

The nurse at my last appointment said that my thyroid and b12 were OK

I am now on a drug to supplement metformin

The problem with the gp surgery is that the receptionists are a complete and utter pain . Today I phoned up to get an appointment telling them I was stressed , anxious and worried about numbness and tingling . They told me that wasn't urgent and gave me a face to face appointment on the 24th January , the next available one .

I fail to see what else I can do ?

It might not be urgent to them but it's making me very unwell with anxiety which has been so severe in the past I have been in a locked psychiatric ward .

I really have no idea what to do . I can't not worry .

Hi , with my new doctors practice i use they are brilliant. Any real issues the reception team always get a nurse or doctor to call back and they do.

As the reception says non of the team are medically qualified to make any decision.

Hi , with my new doctors practice i use they are brilliant. Any real issues the reception team always get a nurse or doctor to call back and they do.

As the reception says non of the team are medically qualified to make any decision.

They are awful here and put you off until you get stressed out

Have you tried Turmeric? I can't take pain meds either Turmeric was recommended and it sure does work.
I looked into but but was warned while good for some issues can trigger others that I suffer with, had my pharmacy look into it for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back