Now for my next challenge ... Cholesterol!

Vonny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
This is a really interesting thread for me as the doctor wanted me on statins due to cholesterol of 5.7. I argued that I'd only been on my new diet and exercise/metforming regime for 6 weeks, and wanted to leave it until my next bloods in September. The doctor agreed, so I'm trying to eat as healthily as possible for both diabetes and cholesterol. As my BS is holding between 5.5 and 6.5, and I'm losing weight regularly, I hope my cholesterol will also reduce, but there are some great tips on this thread, so many thanks everyone for those x

Maz2

This is a really interesting thread for me as the doctor wanted me on statins due to cholesterol of 5.7. I argued that I'd only been on my new diet and exercise/metforming regime for 6 weeks, and wanted to leave it until my next bloods in September. The doctor agreed, so I'm trying to eat as healthily as possible for both diabetes and cholesterol. As my BS is holding between 5.5 and 6.5, and I'm losing weight regularly, I hope my cholesterol will also reduce, but there are some great tips on this thread, so many thanks everyone for those x
He may have offered them because you are diabetic. I think if you have other conditions too they tend to worry about it more. There is a school of thought these days that cholesterol is not as bad as once thought but there does not seem to be agreement.

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Well done getting your sugars down. I know the feeling. I went pre-diabetic and came here for help. I have had a second normal result and my GP is reducing frequency of hba1c now from yearly as I have had a normal result two years running. I still want to reduce it more so I am going to continue to test.

I too have been told my cholesterol has gone up now. I did not know it was being done so booked an afternoon appointment so had breakfast and lunch before I went. It had gone to 5.8 from 4.6 in two years. My previous one though was starved and this one was not. I thought "oh no, here we go, statins." If I have to have them then i have to but I prefer not to take meds if I can try and sort things out. Anyway, GP said my triglycerides were very good, good cholesterol was very good, my weight is good and I am not pre-diabetic now so there is no need for statins. She has asked me to try to get it down if I can. I will give it a go. I am 67 now so cannot expert everything to be right but will see what i can do.
Gosh it sounds like you have a helpful GP. Mine is a little over keen on prescribing and much les keen on questions. During the telephone consultation, she told me my blood sugar was excellent. I wondered how much the Metformin was contributing to that or was the diet the main player now ? She immediately responded, 'oh no, it is far too early to come off them' I didn't say a thing, but she had two things wrong. a) I hadn't asked her if I should come off them and b) I don't want to, I was just interested in her opinion. I have often wondered about the combination of diet and meds. Ho hum

Maz2

Gosh it sounds like you have a helpful GP. Mine is a little over keen on prescribing and much les keen on questions. During the telephone consultation, she told me my blood sugar was excellent. I wondered how much the Metformin was contributing to that or was the diet the main player now ? She immediately responded, 'oh no, it is far too early to come off them' I didn't say a thing, but she had two things wrong. a) I hadn't asked her if I should come off them and b) I don't want to, I was just interested in her opinion. I have often wondered about the combination of diet and meds. Ho hum
I have to say I am very lucky with my GP surgery. We have lots of GPs there as it is a large centre. Sometimes the Receptionists don't want to book "call backs" but do. The GPs are always very helpful. She was very reassuring to me. They are very thorough. I recall having my haemoglobin drop quite a lot to 11.5 from 13.3. I told the GP I saw I was a regular blood donor and I had been doing some research with them and had been giving more often which could explain the drop. He would not accept it though and did all sorts of tests. Thankfully, it was the blood donations.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
You do realise that the cholesterol 'problem' might well be illusory?
As more analysis is done, more tests carried out, there seems to be less and less correlation between having average cholesterol levels and any sort of problem. There also seems to be little benefit from using medication to lower cholesterol below natural levels as it doesn't seem to confer any benefit, and in some cases the lower cholesterol levels were showing some unfortunate events happen more regularly.
I'm afraid that I don't seem able to go back and find the things I read to copy the location and add it - there must be a way to do it but I used to have teenagers to do that sort of thing for me and they are long gone. I should have learned when I had the chance.....

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When I had issues with mine I litterally changed nothing and it was fine next time they tested. I’m not saying do nothing but I would do what you can without medications and try not to worry about it x

Sharron1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
When I had issues with mine I litterally changed nothing and it was fine next time they tested. I’m not saying do nothing but I would do what you can without medications and try not to worry about it x
Ta. That is exactly what I intend to do for the moment. I think I was (and stiil am) more amazed at her attitude. Not used to it. But will have to learn to manage the no questions bit.

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Also should have congratulated you on your HB1Ac. Great work, you should be pleased with that x

Maz2

You do realise that the cholesterol 'problem' might well be illusory?
As more analysis is done, more tests carried out, there seems to be less and less correlation between having average cholesterol levels and any sort of problem. There also seems to be little benefit from using medication to lower cholesterol below natural levels as it doesn't seem to confer any benefit, and in some cases the lower cholesterol levels were showing some unfortunate events happen more regularly.
I'm afraid that I don't seem able to go back and find the things I read to copy the location and add it - there must be a way to do it but I used to have teenagers to do that sort of thing for me and they are long gone. I should have learned when I had the chance.....
I have heard that Drummer. I have a friend whose cholesterol is really high and she eats hardly any fat. Even though I was trying to sort out my blood sugars I did not have a high fat diet, I would say just medium really and staying with the poly and mono type apart from being a cheese addict. The experts cannot seem to make up their minds.

My GP is not too concerned so I am not going to worry about it. I am more interested in keeping my blood sugars right.