Not open for further replies.

Anna DUK

Online Community Team Leader
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Pronouns
She/Her
As a valued member of our community, your insights can make a real impact. Here’s your chance to contribute to our website improvement.

What’s It About? We’re conducting a research study at our London Office (Wells Lawrence House) on Wednesday 6th March 2024. We want to understand how people like you—whether living with diabetes or supporting loved ones—navigate our website. Your experiences matter, and we believe they can help us better organise our information.

Why Participate?
  • Each participant will receive a £100 Amazon voucher for their contribution to the study.
  • You don’t need any special expertise and don’t need to prepare at all—just bring your unique perspective!
  • By participating, you’ll directly influence how our website serves our community.
How to Get Involved: If you’re interested, please follow this link: https://ethn.io/14162 to express your interest and we will be in touch. Thank you!

Would love to, but London area only sadly. Why is everything London centric?
@Kernow-Debra, thanks for your feedback. Our head office is based in London and this is where our UX (User Experience) Lab is for research studies like this one. If you're really keen, I can clarify with the team if travel expenses are paid for (usually they are).

@Kernow-Debra, thanks for your feedback. Our head office is based in London and this is where our UX (User Experience) Lab is for research studies like this one. If you're really keen, I can clarify with the team if travel expenses are paid for (usually they are).
Can you confirm this please as it makes a huge difference to who can attend.

Can you confirm this please as it makes a huge difference to who can attend.
@HSSS have just had it confirmed that travel expenses are not paid separately to the participants on this occasion. Instead participants will receive a £100 amazon voucher to compensate for both their time and travel.

Would love to, but London area only sadly. Why is everything London centric?
I presume the idea is to get feedback reasonably cheaply. If the team is in London then that's where you want to do it. (If you need more feedback then maybe you'd look elsewhere but you'd need to be able to justify the extra costs.)

So yeah, they're probably looking for people who can get to London reasonably easily. (Had the team been in Bristol then it would have been Bristol and so on. Even in alternate universes it was likely to be a city.)

Is there a reason this could not be available either on a Teams style event, or even mixed - part and part?

Some of the more remote parts of the UK are very poorly served by primary care, so it could be argued that online resources are even more important for them than those in close proximity to London.

Whilst usually UK resident, I am overseas at the moment. This cuts me out completely. (No enormous issue with that, personally, just saying.)

As well as this London based research study, Why don't you simply have a thread on this forum to obtain suggestions about the website? It'd save you quite a few £100 amazon vouchers! 🙂

And why an amazon voucher?
A good question @JonathanGi. User involvement incentives are generally fulfilled through various vouchers such as Amazon or Aldi. Our Digital Experience team has chosen to incentivise with an Amazon voucher on this occasion. We are still exploring other possibilities and hope to broaden our options in the future. We use vouchers to allow us to track payments and ensure everyone had received and claimed their incentive.

As well as this London based research study, Why don't you simply have a thread on this forum to obtain suggestions about the website? It'd save you quite a few £100 amazon vouchers! 🙂
This study is therefore restricted to people within a short distance of London.
Even though we phrase this as a website improvement research study, It is part of a larger IA (information architecture) work. This project is not completely internal, and we are supported by an agency called TPX Impact who are leading the study, while we support them with recruitment endeavours through our channels.

For this particular study, we will be coordinating with a team of consultants and designers at TPX Impact to look into the information architecture of our website i.e. the navigation systems and the page structures.

I love the idea of having a discussion through a forum thread as well @Andy HB and will definitely consider this for future UX projects, thank you for the suggestion!

Is there a reason this could not be available either on a Teams style event, or even mixed - part and part?

Some of the more remote parts of the UK are very poorly served by primary care, so it could be argued that online resources are even more important for them than those in close proximity to London.

Whilst usually UK resident, I am overseas at the moment. This cuts me out completely. (No enormous issue with that, personally, just saying.)
Currently we are on a restricted schedule while working alongside the agency, TPX Impact. They prefer an in person interaction as the moderation of such studies are most efficient. Therefore, for this opportunity, the participation might be hindered by the limitations of it being in person.

However, we will have more opportunities for participation and listening to our audiences via online studies as well.

@HSSS have just had it confirmed that travel expenses are not paid separately to the participants on this occasion. Instead participants will receive a £100 amazon voucher to compensate for both their time and travel.
I applied but not much hope of going as I am in Scotland. Plus I need an overnight stay . They might use me for another online study.
I wouldn’t mind paying most of my expenses as I could fit in a show in London and bus is cheap. Will see!
it might be less expensive for them to have researchers in different areas of the UK or a zoom conference? I’ve taken part in several studies, particularly on Covid19 they were mostly conducted by post. I participated in a Scottish healthcare study. This study used zoom and we split into groups to discuss the information. We had a spokesperson presented the decision for each group. It’s was far more than £100/per person. No travelling out of curiosity flying Glasgow to gatwick return £106 …need overnight stay plus taxis I am not confident to use London Underground and mobility issues. Anyone from Scotland going it’s worth considering a flight

Last edited:
Thanks for the opportunity @Anna DUK but I just wanted to highlight further accessibility issues around offering £100 Amazon Voucher to cover travel costs and expenses for daytrip to London as disabled person living with limited mobility and not having the confidence to navigate all public transport in London on my own as I struggle with stairs... So off-peak return booked in advance with railcard is around £70 leaving after 9:30am from Manchester to London, then I imagine private taxi from London Euston to DUK offices would be at least £30+ and even getting several buses back to London Euston and taking packed lunch, the cost of my travel expenses would be more than the £100 shopping voucher, plus rearranging all of my commitments/appointments/responsibilities to another day to commit to full day of travelling and attending, plus on bad day I may need support worker to assist me doubling the travel costs... I would hope that as diabetes is medical condition that DUK would be more supportive and give more consideration to the accessibility issues of running consultations on basis of £100 per person to cover all travel costs and expenses, one size fits all, when that clearly excludes disabled people living outside of London also, thumbs up for video conferencing instead!

As a valued member of our community, your insights can make a real impact. Here’s your chance to contribute to our website improvement.

What’s It About? We’re conducting a research study at our London Office (Wells Lawrence House) on Wednesday 6th March 2024. We want to understand how people like you—whether living with diabetes or supporting loved ones—navigate our website. Your experiences matter, and we believe they can help us better organise our information.

Why Participate?
  • Each participant will receive a £100 Amazon voucher for their contribution to the study.
  • You don’t need any special expertise and don’t need to prepare at all—just bring your unique perspective!
  • By participating, you’ll directly influence how our website serves our community.
How to Get Involved: If you’re interested, please follow this link: https://ethn.io/14162 to express your interest and we will be in touch. Thank you!
There's a few more spaces available to participate in this if anyone is still thinking of supporting this research study. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back