Novorapid - limited Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dean-Feast

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone,

Just been to my pharmacy to collect my vials of Novorapid for my pump only to be told they are out of stock, and they do not know when they are going to get some more due to a manufacture supply issue.

Is anyone else experiencing problems getting hold of Novorapid?

Hello everyone,

Just been to my pharmacy to collect my vials of Novorapid for my pump only to be told they are out of stock, and they do not know when they are going to get some more due to a manufacture supply issue.

Only collected my novorapid a few days back, nothing was said to me then??

Strange that there’s nothing in the news either. I would have thought a insulin supply problem would be priority news.

If anyone has any news, please share for us all.

Hello and welcome, which pump are you using?

Hi Lucy, I’m using a Medtronic 640G with Novorapid. Love it!

Hi Dean and welcome to the forum. I collected 2 vials from my pharmacy today. They never mentioned anything. These stories crop up occasionally and I wonder if it's the pharmacy themselves with an issue. Any chance you could try a different one?

As Matt has suggested, try all pharmacies in your area, good luck.

Strange that there’s nothing in the news either. I would have thought a insulin supply problem would be priority news.

If anyone has any news, please share for us all.
Simple solution is to ring the manufactures and ask them what is going on.

Also always make sure you have at least 2 vials in stock yourself when reordering so you don't run out.

This problem crops up every year or so, it would seem. It’s always artificial, and simply due to pharmacies forgetting to get in supplies. There’s no problem with the manufacturer, just go to another pharmacy.

And Pumper Sue’s suggestion is spot on, never work in ‘just in time’ mode.

This seems to be happening a lot with all types of prescription medications/items not just insulin.

The pharmacy linked to our surgery, changed to another company, who are awful to say the least to the extent that we've actually changed pharmacy's to pick up our prescriptions from.

The last time we used the old one, my husband tried 4 times to pick up his prescription, each time he was told a slightly different excuse to why they hadn't obtained it. They then suggested it would be quicker if he requested a New Prescription! Which he did took it elsewhere, and he's never received the prescription still owing!

What makes you wonder, as the prescription has been handed in to the pharmacy, they would then put it through their systems to be paid for. So are they gaining money without supplying?

Also, when they say a manufacturer issue, wonder if this really means, that they haven't paid their suppliers bill yet?

Funny I got told the same thing by my pharmacy but for Lantus a couple of weeks ago!

Call another chemist and check with them. Make sure you have plenty in the fridge always as back up. I have loads, I'm scared of this happening. And I once had a whole box that must have been dropped as they were all cracked and leaking!

Hello everyone,

I have just had a phonemail from my chemist in Dunfermline saying that Novorapid cannot be supplied because of manufacturing problems. Does anyone know anything about this?

Ring a different pharmacy, a big one like Boots, Lloyds or Superdrug and see if they can get it OK.

We hear this a fair bit and it turns out there's no problem except with the pharmacy's supply chain which NN have no input into whatsoever.

I've also been told this about various things (eg test strips) over the years, and when asking around others in different parts of the country have had no problem.

Where there have been genuine problems (eg a manufacturing plant in Puerto Rico that makes Medtronic diabetes devices which got splatted by a hurricane a year or so ago) the company in question usually contacts users.

Like others I suspect 'manufacturing issue' seems to be a default suggestion from someone *somewhere* down the line - whether it's actually a supply chain issue, or ordering shortage, or unexpected rise in demand, or whatever.

Or is it stockpiling ahead of Brexit if we accidentally fall off the cliff of a no deal?

You may well be right. The lack of clarity about what is actually happening around the whole Brexit debacle, and the rising atmosphere of uncertainty and fear could easily cause that. Wouldn't take much more than a small proportion of people deciding to reorder twice as early to 'build up a bit of a cushion' to cause significant problems in the world's 'just in time' manufacturing and delivery culture. Abbott and Medtronic have both suffered in recent years with just a slight underestimation of speed of uptake/demand in their products and devices.

The 'Brexit stockpile' has been arranged by the Government ages ago which gobsmacked me I can tell you! - and there's at least one huge warehouse which the reporter was shown and was filmed, think they said round Barnsley somewhere - all the major drug houses in other parts of Europe agreed to help the UK fill it, including temperature controlled sections for various things and insulin was specifically mentioned as one of them. Theresa was actually interviewed and said of course 'we' have and are doing this - I absolutely rely on NHS insulin to stay alive myself - so I had to ensure that everyone else does too! Nearest I've ever heard her to speaking sarcastically - in common parlance she was telling us 'If you think I'm going to risk dying because of it, then you must be a complete (err) pillock!' LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back