Novo Nordisk NovoRapid Shortage Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Officially you aren’t allowed to share or pass on prescription items to others unfortunately @EmmaL76 :( plus, as you say the transport of the insulin in current weather might make it degrade or behave unpredictably. So annoying if you have a surplus and can see others in need - but there are lots of understandable rules and regs about such things.

Hopefully the shortage won’t last long, and stability will return shortly. My biggest hope is that people don’t start stockpiling, which could make the situation massively difficult for much longer than necessary.
Yes I thought that would be the case, but trust me, if I saw someone in the real world who was sick and I had the means to make them better, and they didn’t because of a shortage.. I’m gonna do it and they can throw away the key :rofl: although I understand the understandable rules around these things

Well I'm pleased to say I was able to pick mine up. Had a panic earlier when I saw this it's already been an eventful 2 days without not being able to get my insulin.

I went to pick up a replacement prescription of FlexPen and had fun and games getting them too. Thankfully the third pharmacy had some, I guess the penfill shortage is having a knock on effect - the pharmacist told me it’d be a good idea to talk to the GP about alternatives in the short term.

I went to pick up a replacement prescription of FlexPen and had fun and games getting them too. Thankfully the third pharmacy had some, I guess the penfill shortage is having a knock on effect - the pharmacist told me it’d be a good idea to talk to the GP about alternatives in the short term.
I was to prepared to have to go back to flex pens for a bit however it would more awkward not being able to do half units with my insulin sensitivity

I'm glad I mentioned the shortage to DSN when she tried to put me on NR this week and I asked about the knock on effect of the shortages on the pens.
Sometimes I think I over worry but seems a valid concern after all.
She put me on fiasp instead 😉

Do you think the kock on effect could lead to their after insulins being effected such as levermir

Do you think the kock on effect could lead to their after insulins being effected such as levermir
Why would an issue with novorapid have a knock on effect on levemir? People aren’t going to take more levemir instead of novorapid.

Why would an issue with novorapid have a knock on effect on levemir? People aren’t going to take more levemir instead of novorapid.
Oh i didn't realize that's what was meant by knock on effect I just thought if there was a issue with one of the there's protential to be issues with others afteral I did have a issue a few weeks ago where I almost wasn't able to get my levemir cartridges after my pharmacys order of it got rejected by all suppliers but point taken

@everydayupsanddowns
Sorry to be asking you again but I’m not sure where to mention this or if it needs mentioning as most people know. I didn’t, after 5 years of diabetes I didn’t know that insulin can ‘go off’ in lasting high temperatures of over 25 degrees. I’ve had significant issues recently, some days with extremely high blood sugar readings. I was topping up my insulin but no help. Once a Nova Rapid cartridge is in my pen I keep it in my handbag for easy access but in the recent high temperatures it was affected. I now have a couple of tiny ice packs in the case where I keep my pen for very hot days, when at home it goes in the fridge.

@rayray119
knock on effect being no cartages available so everyone will be asking for pre filled pens instead (still nr) and lead to them being potentially troublesome to get a hold of too 🙂

@rayray119
knock on effect being no cartages available so everyone will be asking for pre filled pens instead (still nr) and lead to them being potentially troublesome to get a hold of too 🙂
Yes I understand know I guess I just wasn't thinking probably when I said that its been quite a day.

• Care
Reactions: gll
@everydayupsanddowns
Sorry to be asking you again but I’m not sure where to mention this or if it needs mentioning as most people know. I didn’t, after 5 years of diabetes I didn’t know that insulin can ‘go off’ in lasting high temperatures of over 25 degrees. I’ve had significant issues recently, some days with extremely high blood sugar readings. I was topping up my insulin but no help. Once a Nova Rapid cartridge is in my pen I keep it in my handbag for easy access but in the recent high temperatures it was affected. I now have a couple of tiny ice packs in the case where I keep my pen for very hot days, when at home it goes in the fridge.
Have you got a frio case?

Last edited:
Once a Nova Rapid cartridge is in my pen I keep it in my handbag for easy access but in the recent high temperatures it was affected. I now have a couple of tiny ice packs in the case where I keep my pen for very hot days, when at home it goes in the fridge.

How awful for you @Annemarie. Glad you worked out what it was in the end!

Happens at both ends of the temperature scale too, so be careful not to allow the ice packs to come into contact with the insulin pens. If they freeze, the insulin will go off too.

As @rayray119 says, there’s a product called Frio, which uses absorbent crystals and evaporation to provide ambient cooling with no risk of freezing. They sell a variety of shapes of pouches etc.

This is mine which just priced very effective in a sweltering hot tent.

1657826487023.jpeg

I am encountering a shortage of Novorapid vials- have been to 5 pharmacies and phoned round many others- everywhere it's 'on order' but they don't know when available. We have 10 days approx. left and am starting to panic a bit. Any thoughts?? is it worth phoning Novo?

I am encountering a shortage of Novorapid vials- have been to 5 pharmacies and phoned round many others- everywhere it's 'on order' but they don't know when available. We have 10 days approx. left and am starting to panic a bit. Any thoughts?? is it worth phoning Novo?
interesting i thought the novorapid shortage had been resolved

Do you have penfills on your prescription too? If so it might be worth getting a back up one a prescription of those as you can draw up insulin from them as if they were a vial.
yes we still have that on the list- the GP tried to issue a penfill Rx (wrongly i thought) and I refused it- but maybe they knew what they were doing :confused: if i can't get it in the next 24 hours i will do that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back