Not sure where to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s exceptions to everything, many do find more metformin side effects with a particularly high carb meal. Some like you find reducing carbs didn’t help with side effects. Others like me don’t get side effects even with high carb meals. It’s just about individual experimentation to find what works. It’s a bit off putting to newcomers if you just tell them reducing carbs a bit won’t help with side effects, it helps many so worth considering.
I only posted because you wrote 'definitely best' as though it was something that always works - I had five weeks of absolute hell and was becoming suicidal so I really do know that reducing carbs sometimes doesn't help, from personal experience.
Newcomers might think that everyone reacts the same way and be wondering what they are doing wrong if you make such unequivocal statements.

I only posted because you wrote 'definitely best' as though it was something that always works - I had five weeks of absolute hell and was becoming suicidal so I really do know that reducing carbs sometimes doesn't help, from personal experience.
Newcomers might think that everyone reacts the same way and be wondering what they are doing wrong if you make such unequivocal statements.
I didn’t write that, but the person that did started with “most people” not “everyone”

I didn’t write that, but the person that did started with “most people” not “everyone”
Oh sorry - have not eaten or drunk yet today - splitting headache and tinnitus too - should be lying down in a darkened room not trying to think ...

GPs generally know very little about Type 2 Diabetes. He shouldn't really have kicked you off on Metfartin, the 2009 Diabetes UK Conference demanded that new Type 2s should have at least 3 months on Diet and Exercise so that they understood the absolute need for a change in Diet and Lifestyle. The Docs want to macro manage your diabetes by the long term measure HbA1c but you need to manage it by day to day testing. Your Doc will pooh pooh self testing but it is the most important measure that you can use to get Control. At root they are just trying to save money on Type 2s. If you continue with bowel issues on Metformin a slow release version is available reckoned to have less effects that way.
You should also find the Diabetes UK list of the 15 annual checks you should have as a Type 2. Some might not be relevant to you but you might have to battle to get the rest. You can't do much about the diagnosis but you have to keep an eye on any developing complications and educate yourself about the condition.
Well before I was diagnosed, but I had no reservations with immediately going onto Metformin, and no side effects

I have been awake since 2.10 this morning with my toilet issues. I didn’t have a heavy carb meal, I made a bolognese sauce with pork mince but had no pasta with it. The only other things I ate yesterday were a banana and a whole meal warburton thin. But my stomach has been going since 2.10. I need food, sleep And to stay out of the bathroom. Food today has been porridge oats, lentil soup (homemade) and I am yet to eat my evening meal but I don’t want to as I don’t want to be in the bathroom again from the early hours

@Shellboo do keep up the fluid intake. I got very dehydrated taking Metformin.
Nothing I did other than stopping the tablets was any help, I'm afraid, but you might be one of the lucky ones and it all settles down after a while - we are all different and so it is impossible to predict the final result.

@Shellboo do keep up the fluid intake. I got very dehydrated taking Metformin.
Nothing I did other than stopping the tablets was any help, I'm afraid, but you might be one of the lucky ones and it all settles down after a while - we are all different and so it is impossible to predict the final result.
Thank you. I don’t struggle with fluids tbh. I only drink water whilst at work and this is generally 5-6 pints each day between 7am and 4pm. 2 mugs of tea before work and then whatever when I get home from work. I start to see an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back