Not sure whats happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they’re Birds Eye, 4 fishfingers are actually 22g carbs. The chips can vary depending on the style of chip. Some of the chunky ones give a very small portion for the same carbs as a portion of fries.

I thought 12g carbs seemed really low for 4 fish fingers.
Long gone are the days when I would have fish finger sandwiches with lashings of tomato sauce!

Long gone are the days when I would have fish finger sandwiches with lashings of tomato sauce!

I love my fishfingers :D I round up the carbs slightly and call each fishfinger 6g carbs. I normally have 3 so 18g carbs. Yes, I have ketchup too! I also have oven chips and like others here, I’ve memorised the carbs for those too:rofl:

I took the info on carbs for fish fingers from Carbs and Cals which shows 3g carb each though they do look quite small which I suppose highlights looking at the info for whatever brand you have and weighing things if not sure is a good plan.

fish finger sandwiches with lashings of tomato sauce!
Tomato sauce and fish fingers? 😱
It has to be tartare sauce for me ... and all the better when I make it myself. It's so easy, chop up some gherkins, add some capers (optional), squirt on some mayo and mix in lemon juice. I find it less slimey (and more pickley) than the pre-made stuff.

My app said said 100gm baked or grilled fishfingers are 22gm carbs. Basically 4 baked fishfingers varied between 16gm and 23gm carbs depending on the supplier.

Years since had fish finger butty, back then it would be tomato sauce but now it would be HP sauce or Branstons fruity sauce, tbh rarely have tom sauce nowadays & prefer brown sauces with fry ups on chips & in bacon/ sausage butties.

I am trying to reduce the amount of processed foods I eat now, so doubt I will go back to fish fingers or bread for that matter and when my last bottle of sauce is finished I will try not to buy any more, so fishfinger butties are consigned to the past. Plenty of other nice things to eat, so looking forwards to new food experiments not back to the old. I do like tartare sauce with my fish though and always have pickled gherkins in the cupboard, so may try your homemade option @helli

I took the info on carbs for fish fingers from Carbs and Cals which shows 3g carb each though they do look quite small which I suppose highlights looking at the info for whatever brand you have and weighing things if not sure is a good plan.

It doesn’t matter so much for Type 2s not on insulin, but for people on insulin it could make a difference. I don’t like Carbs and Cals (blasphemy, I know!). I find it pretty useless personally but YDMMV.

It doesn’t matter so much for Type 2s not on insulin, but for people on insulin it could make a difference. I don’t like Carbs and Cals (blasphemy, I know!). I find it pretty useless personally but YDMMV.
It's not just me, then!

It's not just me, then!
Or me! I gave my copy away after a couple of months. Funny how we can be so very opposite in some views and so similar in others.

I don't use an app either, just keep to low carb foods and calculate very roughly in my head mostly (which was why 12g carbs for 4 fish fingers struck me as low) I wing it most of the time but eating low carb and using Libre allows me to do that. Can't remember the last time I used my scales! 🙄

Or me.
It took me longer to scan through the pages of the book (or app) and then find out it did not have anything that resembled my plate than it was to look up the raw ingredients on Google and use a spreadsheet.
I now "eyeball" and guesstimate most of the time.

As for finding what resembles the food on my plate, sometimes, my diabetes clinic do a carb counting survey as we wait for the nurse to weigh us. The survey contains pictures of meals and asks to estimate number of carbs. The meals are very meaty and processed. I don't eat meat so have little idea about a full Sunday lunch (yes, I know I can add up the veg and meat has very few carbs but what about gravy and Yorkshire puds?). I don't eat sliced bread or tinned baked beans (I make both myself) so I don't have much idea about the beans on toast. And I rarely eat desserts so wouldn't have much a clue about apple pie with lashings of custard.
I am sure C&C will have the answers ... might even have exactly the same photos.

Or me! I gave my copy away after a couple of months. Funny how we can be so very opposite in some views and so similar in others.

I don't use an app either, just keep to low carb foods and calculate very roughly in my head mostly (which was why 12g carbs for 4 fish fingers struck me as low) I wing it most of the time but eating low carb and using Libre allows me to do that. Can't remember the last time I used my scales! 🙄
Or me.
It took me longer to scan through the pages of the book (or app) and then find out it did not have anything that resembled my plate than it was to look up the raw ingredients on Google and use a spreadsheet.
I now "eyeball" and guesstimate most of the time.

As for finding what resembles the food on my plate, sometimes, my diabetes clinic do a carb counting survey as we wait for the nurse to weigh us. The survey contains pictures of meals and asks to estimate number of carbs. The meals are very meaty and processed. I don't eat meat so have little idea about a full Sunday lunch (yes, I know I can add up the veg and meat has very few carbs but what about gravy and Yorkshire puds?). I don't eat sliced bread or tinned baked beans (I make both myself) so I don't have much idea about the beans on toast. And I rarely eat desserts so wouldn't have much a clue about apple pie with lashings of custard.
I am sure C&C will have the answers ... might even have exactly the same photos.
Ah, there we differ! I am a bit of a perfectionist and I like preciseness.I still weigh my breakfast even though it's the same every day!

I use the Nutracheck app which has a huge database of carb values for both ingredients and packaged goods (and for many chain restaurant meals - not that we use them very often). I can carb count recipes and store them (I now have 75 different dinners stored, though frankly some of them are "never again"!) I do have most "at home" lunches in my head. Eating out can be a minefield as we love to try new and unfamilar dishes, but basically it's an educated guess and sort it out later.

Seems to me Carbs & Cals just doesn't cope with any of this, besides which I'm a words person and I couldn't really relate to the photos at all.

I weigh my breakfast cereal and pasta, couscous, quinoa, raw potato, etc and I like to bake too, so my scales get a lot of use. I could probably do my cereal by eye but I like to remove one variable so always weigh it. If I didn’t, I’d be blaming myself for lows or highs instead of blaming the other eleventy million things that affect our blood sugars.

I don't have cereal, other than a tiny sprinkle of nutty granola sometimes and my hand doesn't vary in size so a sprinkle is near enough the same every day. It can only vary by a couple of grams. Yoghurt is only 5g carbs per 100g so I can't be far out with that, but usually 3 good dollops and a few berries or at the moment, a couple of spoons of stewed blackberry and apple. I don't bake very often but when I do, it is low carb and again I just wing it and don't even follow a recipe as such, but mug cakes don't take much thought or effort and are reasonably forgiving. 🙄 If I was baking for others with proper flour etc I would have to take more care.

Ah, there we differ! I am a bit of a perfectionist and I like preciseness.I still weigh my breakfast even though it's the same every day!

To be perfectly honest it's only meal that I consistently weigh & not eyeball, have 70g portion of oats each morning, today went over at 74g but didn't bother taking 4g off as it makes no difference whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back