Not sure if anyone here still remembers me. Update on my cancer journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotWorriedAtAll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/They
I had my hysterectomy last week after having a diagnosis of uterine cancer in May. They whipped everything out took lymph node biopsies and I should get the results of those in a week or so.

I spent my time between May and the operation in getting my blood levels into therapeutic ketosis and exercising to reduce my weight and to increase my fitness and strength ready for surgery. The last month I was less able to stay in therapeutic ketosis but I stayed in the weight loss range. I kept my blood sugars between 4.8 and 6.9 all through that period - the last month I was nearer 6.9 as an average as I was getting more anxious and stressed.

In hospital they were not set up to provide me with suitable food and kept offering me sugary puddings and custards and pies and mash and gravy style meals. Luckily I was ready for that and took home made keto shortbread biscuits and walnut halves and small Moser Roth dark chocolate bars in with me. That kept me from getting hungry and kept my sugar levels fine. I was eating half a biscuit and four walnut halves and a quarter of a small bar for each meal. I wasn't very hungry because I was in a lot of pain. I was only kept in overnight and was allowed to come home the next afternoon.

I am still in a huge amount of pain and the sudden onset of menopause has made me tearful and snappy. But I am glad to be past this stage. Ironically while I still had the dodgy bits and pieces in place I felt wonderfully healthy and fit. Now they have been removed I feel old and infirm and generally like death warmed up.

I am trying to stay positive and do all the right things. Fingers crossed it will work out for the best.

I know I am very lucky compared with so many in the world today so I am focussing on that and taking my pain meds and trying to keep everything in perspective. Hope all the people I remember and who remember me are doing as well as can be expected. Best wishes from me to you.

I had my hysterectomy last week after having a diagnosis of uterine cancer in May. They whipped everything out took lymph node biopsies and I should get the results of those in a week or so.

I spent my time between May and the operation in getting my blood levels into therapeutic ketosis and exercising to reduce my weight and to increase my fitness and strength ready for surgery. The last month I was less able to stay in therapeutic ketosis but I stayed in the weight loss range. I kept my blood sugars between 4.8 and 6.9 all through that period - the last month I was nearer 6.9 as an average as I was getting more anxious and stressed.

In hospital they were not set up to provide me with suitable food and kept offering me sugary puddings and custards and pies and mash and gravy style meals. Luckily I was ready for that and took home made keto shortbread biscuits and walnut halves and small Moser Roth dark chocolate bars in with me. That kept me from getting hungry and kept my sugar levels fine. I was eating half a biscuit and four walnut halves and a quarter of a small bar for each meal. I wasn't very hungry because I was in a lot of pain. I was only kept in overnight and was allowed to come home the next afternoon.

I am still in a huge amount of pain and the sudden onset of menopause has made me tearful and snappy. But I am glad to be past this stage. Ironically while I still had the dodgy bits and pieces in place I felt wonderfully healthy and fit. Now they have been removed I feel old and infirm and generally like death warmed up.

I am trying to stay positive and do all the right things. Fingers crossed it will work out for the best.

I know I am very lucky compared with so many in the world today so I am focussing on that and taking my pain meds and trying to keep everything in perspective. Hope all the people I remember and who remember me are doing as well as can be expected. Best wishes from me to you.
So sorry to hear of your surgery but it will take time to recover so take it easy.
I had a hysterectomy at 32 due to precancerous ovarian cyst and was told to expect menopause symptoms but luckily I never did at the time or since.
They offered me HRT but as I didn't have symptoms never used it.
Yes, hospital food is not exactly suitable just as well it was only overnight.

Sorry to read about the pain you're going through, I wish your recovery is as smooth as possible. We do remember you around here xx

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery 🙂 I remember when I was in hospital and the meals were flagged whether suitable for diabetics - the only thing that wasn't 'suitable', according to them, was treacle pudding! 😱 Seems they haven't learned! 😱 :D

Take care {{{HUGS}}}

What an ordeal. It is a lot in a short time, and you will have some healing to do both physically and mentally. I am just finishing two years of cancer treatment, so truly emphasise. I was diagnosed with diabetes in April, and had major surgery to remove both my adrenal glands in July. So I wasn’t able to get my diabetes under control before, and it was a really traumatic experience as my blood sugar went sky high and I had to be woken up hourly for safety. I felt like death for quite a few weeks, and like I had aged 20 years (I am 51).

For encouragement: three months out and I feel better than I have in years. As soon as I was able and allowed, I started gentle Pilates to strengthen my core and abdomen, and about a month ago got started on couch 2 5k (a gentle running programme). I feel strong again, my blood sugars are near-perfect, and I am close to my ideal weight. Due to surgery, I am reliant on steroids for life, but am cancer free (for now as I am stage 4), and my diabetes is controlled. Re menopause, I am on patches and they are a lifesaver, sorting out my horrible sleep.

So this long-winded tale just to say - what you are going through is so hard, and it will take a lot of mental energy, but if you take it slow and steady, there is a path forward. X

Hope the pain eases soon, but don’t to rush doing things. You did really well to keep your levels good before the operation with all that worry. Please don’t be hard on yourself with being tearful and snappy, you have had a very worrying time with the diagnosis, then a major operation, and now straight into menopause instead of the gradual years of going through it, and I don’t think there have been many of us who haven’t been tearful and snappy during the menopause.

Sending you love and positivity.

Thanks for the update @NotWorriedAtAll - lovely to hear from you again.

Sorry to hear about the post-op pain. Wishing you a speedy recovery, and the most positive outcomes possible. Hope the biopsy results are encouraging too.

Wishing you a full and speedy recovery 🙂 I remember when I was in hospital and the meals were flagged whether suitable for diabetics - the only thing that wasn't 'suitable', according to them, was treacle pudding! 😱 Seems they haven't learned! 😱 :D

Take care {{{HUGS}}}
It was bizarre. I mentioned that the easiest option for me would be if they could just provide me with a hard boiled egg at each mealtime and one of those paper parcels or little plastic thingies with butter in them and I would be fine but they told me a hard boiled egg was too difficult for them. I was lucky that I was prepared - it must be very worrying if someone goes in for an emergency and they are not able to make sure they get the correct nutrition.

Hope the pain eases soon, but don’t to rush doing things. You did really well to keep your levels good before the operation with all that worry. Please don’t be hard on yourself with being tearful and snappy, you have had a very worrying time with the diagnosis, then a major operation, and now straight into menopause instead of the gradual years of going through it, and I don’t think there have been many of us who haven’t been tearful and snappy during the menopause.

Sending you love and positivity.
Thank you - I am feeling a bit better today. I got a good night's sleep which has made a difference.

Thanks for the update @NotWorriedAtAll - lovely to hear from you again.

Sorry to hear about the post-op pain. Wishing you a speedy recovery, and the most positive outcomes possible. Hope the biopsy results are encouraging too.
Thank you. It isn't so bad today. I asked the GP to give me lower dose codeines so I can space them out better and that seems to be helping iron out the peaks and troughs I was having.

What an ordeal. It is a lot in a short time, and you will have some healing to do both physically and mentally. I am just finishing two years of cancer treatment, so truly emphasise. I was diagnosed with diabetes in April, and had major surgery to remove both my adrenal glands in July. So I wasn’t able to get my diabetes under control before, and it was a really traumatic experience as my blood sugar went sky high and I had to be woken up hourly for safety. I felt like death for quite a few weeks, and like I had aged 20 years (I am 51).

For encouragement: three months out and I feel better than I have in years. As soon as I was able and allowed, I started gentle Pilates to strengthen my core and abdomen, and about a month ago got started on couch 2 5k (a gentle running programme). I feel strong again, my blood sugars are near-perfect, and I am close to my ideal weight. Due to surgery, I am reliant on steroids for life, but am cancer free (for now as I am stage 4), and my diabetes is controlled. Re menopause, I am on patches and they are a lifesaver, sorting out my horrible sleep.

So this long-winded tale just to say - what you are going through is so hard, and it will take a lot of mental energy, but if you take it slow and steady, there is a path forward. X
Oh wow that was horrible for you. Thank you for sharing your experience it is always encouraging to hear from someone who has weathered their own journey. I managed to lose two stone before the operation and I am not sure exactly what they did down there but my tummy seems to be healing better and flatter - my umbilical hernia appears to have gone!! I a walking on the spot for five minutes at a time while watching videos. Today I seem to be less in pain and a bit perkier so fingers crossed.

It was bizarre. I mentioned that the easiest option for me would be if they could just provide me with a hard boiled egg at each mealtime and one of those paper parcels or little plastic thingies with butter in them and I would be fine but they told me a hard boiled egg was too difficult for them. I was lucky that I was prepared - it must be very worrying if someone goes in for an emergency and they are not able to make sure they get the correct nutrition.
I was in hospital for 3 days when I had my knee surgery and no visitors allowed to bring anything in because Covid restrictions still in place. I managed to choose an omelette and salad for 2 days but otherwise nothing very suitable, even the yoghurts were 0%fat and high carb, I opted for a choc eclair but had to scrape the choc off as it was too sweet. There was a lentil curry which I though may be OK but it was vile.

Thank you. It isn't so bad today. I asked the GP to give me lower dose codeines so I can space them out better and that seems to be helping iron out the peaks and troughs I was having.
Codeine can make you constipated so make sure you stay hydrated and higher fibre if needed.

I was in hospital for 3 days when I had my knee surgery and no visitors allowed to bring anything in because Covid restrictions still in place. I managed to choose an omelette and salad for 2 days but otherwise nothing very suitable, even the yoghurts were 0%fat and high carb, I opted for a choc eclair but had to scrape the choc off as it was too sweet. There was a lentil curry which I though may be OK but it was vile.
I took in a couple of little bento boxes filled with home made keto biscuits and other things that would be okay. Not the sort of thing I would normally eat regularly but okay as emergency rations - like tiny packs of porky scratchings. My best layer was a layer of cherry tomatoes that ripened nicely in the hospital warmth. My consultant tried to be funny and suggested I had brought two lunches in with me. Luckily my hormones hadn't crashed at that point or I might have just burst into tears. I spent the last few months doing 1 - 2 hours exercise a day and lost two stone.

Codeine can make you constipated so make sure you stay hydrated and higher fibre if needed.
I have already reaped the whirlwind of that disaster!! Half a stone lost after my first bowel movement post op!!! 😱 I am now taking lactulose and about 4L water a day and praying (which is something I never did before.)

It was unfortunate that when I had my hysterectomy which actually involved 2 surgeries a week apart as initially they were just going to remove the dodgy ovary but found precancerous cells so recommended the full works, I then developed a lung infection which they said was common after 2 anaesthetics in quick succession. The effect of those antibiotics was awful, spent all the time on the loo.
I had given up my job and had committed to being a mature student at Uni which I started 3 weeks after the operation. My mind was in a fug and I couldn't concentrate so not the best start, also going through a divorce.
I really hadn't given myself a chance to recover and it was only after about 4 months that I actually felt better.
Hence please do be kind to yourself and don't push yourself, even if you think you are OK.

It was unfortunate that when I had my hysterectomy which actually involved 2 surgeries a week apart as initially they were just going to remove the dodgy ovary but found precancerous cells so recommended the full works, I then developed a lung infection which they said was common after 2 anaesthetics in quick succession. The effect of those antibiotics was awful, spent all the time on the loo.
I had given up my job and had committed to being a mature student at Uni which I started 3 weeks after the operation. My mind was in a fug and I couldn't concentrate so not the best start, also going through a divorce.
I really hadn't given myself a chance to recover and it was only after about 4 months that I actually felt better.
Hence please do be kind to yourself and don't push yourself, even if you think you are OK.
Feeling far too poorly to overdo anything. I am just about managing to get out of bed and potter about for an hour or two. Wow you went through a lot all at once. My torso is completely bruised and every day I discover new and exciting bruises. Today has been the first day I didn't nap but I have been meditating and doing breathing exercises and generally lounging about and taking pain meds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back