Not really a newbie!

ivygirl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have not visited site for such a long time! Been type 2 for quite a while now. Was doing okish then managed to break both my feet!!! So was unable to put any weight on feet for months. Just getting over that when lockdown happened! Have gained weight and now cannot walk very far. Hubby makes me use my walking stick, don’t like it but must admit it does help my balance! So here I am a 73 year old very unfit and over weight lady who is really fed up! Advice needed to help me snap out of this please!

Cherrelle DUK

Online Community Coordinator
Staff member
Hi Ivygirl, welcome back to the forum.

So sorry to hear about your feet! No wonder you're fed up, must be a really frustrating time for you with all that's gone on.

The good thing is that you're in the right place, we're here to support you as we all know what it's like to have set backs but as long as you keep pursuing a healthier lifestyle, you'll be fine.

Do you have any idea about what your blood sugar numbers are? Has your GP done a full blood test recently so you have an idea of your HbA1c numbers?

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi and welcome back.

So sorry to hear about your broken feet. Do you know how that happened? I know that sounds a strange question but it is unusual for someone to break both their feet and there is a complication of diabetes called Charcot foot where the bones break/collapse without any real trauma and it is important to have that identified and treated appropriately as soon as possible. Many doctors are unaware of the condition so it often gets missed which is why I ask about the circumstances of the breaks?

Can you tell us what if any medication you are on as that can impact on any dietary advice we suggest?

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello Pat and welcome back.
Wow you have been in the wars haven't you?
Hopefully this is the last of your mishaps :)
Do you like swimming or can you have any hydrotherapy to help with your mobility and exercise?
Sounds as if your husband is looking after you very well :)

ivygirl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your kind replies. How did I break both my feet! I was in a mini bus with other ladies on our to a WRAC dinner in Nottingham. I was the youngest and the only one not needing a walking stick! Stopped for lunch in Gloucester services when I helped the 80 year old to carry her lunch to the table. Didn’t slip or trip just lost my balance! Medics were called against my wishes!!! They said I must have an xray. Right ankle badly broken and 3 bones in my left foot broken. So an hour after leaving home hubby got a phonecall to go to Gloucester hospital! Must say hubby was marvellous. When I got home he had moved single beds into the dining room and organised wheelchair etc. The same day a very nice lady arrived to put blocks on my bed so it was right size to for to slide over to the wheelchair so I could got to the downstairs loo! It wasn’t good not being able to put any weight on my feet as I said my hubby was wonderful and looked after me really well. So now I have some very impressive metalware in my ankle!

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome back @ivygirl

Ouch! That sounds so painful o_O

Glad you were well looked after though. And your husband sounds like a keeper ;)

Hopefully as the weather warms you’ll get a chance to get out and about a bit more. and make more use of your stick. Hope your feet are not giving you any pain any more.

Your comment about your metalware made me smile.

This is where my imagination went :D

1617963389188.gif