Normal Morning numbers for remission and tingles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbabazi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
My waking sugars have been in the 9.9 to 10.5 range the last few days. I'm not on any meds and trying to reverse my diabetes for a few months now. I'm waiting on an hba1c in a few days. In the meantime I wondered if that's generally OK number for those not on medication. The doctor didn't seem concerned when I told them this. They prefer to wait for the hba1c numbers.
Also, I'm curious what the beginnings of neuropathy feel like. I was sure I felt tingles in the morning in my fingers. And now in my toes while i lie down - in particular the big toe on my left foot. It feels warm and weird. Is there some kind of way to test this at home or symptom to look out for. My diabetic doctor appointment is weeks away so turning here as I wait.

My waking sugars have been in the 9.9 to 10.5 range the last few days. I'm not on any meds and trying to reverse my diabetes for a few months now. I'm waiting on an hba1c in a few days. In the meantime I wondered if that's generally OK number for those not on medication. The doctor didn't seem concerned when I told them this. They prefer to wait for the hba1c numbers.
Also, I'm curious what the beginnings of neuropathy feel like. I was sure I felt tingles in the morning in my fingers. And now in my toes while i lie down - in particular the big toe on my left foot. It feels warm and weird. Is there some kind of way to test this at home or symptom to look out for. My diabetic doctor appointment is weeks away so turning here as I wait.
If your diagnosis is Type 1.5 LADA then remission is unlikely to be a possibility so the sooner you are on the appropriate medication the better.
The aim would be for people to have morning readings between 4-7mmol/l and for 2 hour post meal readings to be no more than 8-8.5mmol/l consistently as that would indicate that an HbA1C result would be in normal range.
The tingling can be an indication of neuropathy which may occur when blood glucose is high but can also be an issue when blood glucose drops quickly.
These things are best checked out by your GP or diabetic nurse at the surgery as it can manifest differently in different people.

Those are higher than desired numbers @Mbabazi Remember that you can’t reverse Type 1/LADA. Not taking insulin might put you at risk of not only DKA but unwittingly speeding up the destruction of your remaining beta cells.

Tingling feet, kind of like pins and needles, can be a sign of neuropathy. If you take your meds and control your blood sugar, this should improve.

The aim would be for people to have morning readings between 4-7mmol/l and for 2 hour post meal readings to be no more than 8-8.5mmol/l
The 2 hours after eating target is not appropriate for people with Type 1/LADA or on insulin as fast acting insulin remains active for about 4 hours.

The 2 hours after eating target is not appropriate for people with Type 1/LADA or on insulin as fast acting insulin remains active for about 4 hours.
That is true but the OP said she was not on any medication and implied that her diagnosis was in doubt so apologies if what I said was misleading.

Hello, are you currently waiting results of an HBaIc test, or an appointment for one?
Normally the diabetes nurse taking the sample would also do a neuropathy check on your feet, too.

Hello, are you currently waiting results of an HBaIc test, or an appointment for one?
Normally the diabetes nurse taking the sample would also do a neuropathy check on your feet, too.
Hello. I'm waiting on an HBAC and now have an appointment with a diabetic doctor on Monday next week but it will be a phone appointment. No one has checked me in the meantime. My unease with the tingles has persisted and now my fingers have swelled and feel hot. I don't have before picture but they're not usually this taut or swollen. What can I do as I wait for the medical attention.

Hello. I'm waiting on an HBAC and now have an appointment with a diabetic doctor on Monday next week but it will be a phone appointment. No one has checked me in the meantime. My unease with the tingles has persisted and now my fingers have swelled and feel hot. I don't have before picture but they're not usually this taut or swollen. What can I do as I wait for the medical attention.
Are you able to send a photograph of your fingers to your surgery and ask for a more urgent appointment as next week is quite a long time to wait.

Although it was in my feet, odd sensations, feeling hot and becoming swollen was treated as urgent by the surgery - I sent photos and they got an urgent prescription to me in under ah hour.

That is true but the OP said she was not on any medication and implied that her diagnosis was in doubt so apologies if what I said was misleading.
you are right, my diagnosis is pending. When I was admitted with DKA and diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago, my c peptide was low which is why my doctor wanted me to do antibody tests. He seemed to think I was not a type 1 or a type 2. I am small in frame and only 34 and usually quite fit and have no diabetes in my family. I am hoping I can get those tests done now that I am in the UK. In the meantime I have been trying to eat low carb, and fast sometimes and exercise. I marked 1.5 as that is my suspicion

you are right, my diagnosis is pending. When I was admitted with DKA and diagnosed with diabetes 5 months ago, my c peptide was low which is why my doctor wanted me to do antibody tests. He seemed to think I was not a type 1 or a type 2. I am small in frame and only 34 and usually quite fit and have no diabetes in my family. I am hoping I can get those tests done now that I am in the UK. In the meantime I have been trying to eat low carb, and fast sometimes and exercise. I marked 1.5 as that is my suspicion
Even in the UK the antibody tests are not that straightforward as the samples have to be processed under special conditions and there are not many labs that do them so they have to be sent frozen. The results are also quite slow to come back, about 6 weeks is not uncommon.
So really you need some interim treatment if your blood glucose levels are continuing to be high especially as you have already had DKA.

The antibody tests look for the Type 1 antibodies. DKA isn’t unknown in Type 2 but is generally a Type 1 thing. You’re not overweight, you’re young, you have no diabetes in your family, and your C Peptide is low. I understand why your doctor thought you were Type 1 - because that fits.

Type 1 is not uncommon in your 30s. Lots of people here have been diagnosed around that time. If you’re Type 1, you really need to eat properly and take the appropriate insulin. You can’t reverse Type 1. In fact, ignoring it or trying to ‘starve it out’ can cause further damage, confuse things, and delay appropriate treatment.

That is true but the OP said she was not on any medication and implied that her diagnosis was in doubt so apologies if what I said was mislead

Even in the UK the antibody tests are not that straightforward as the samples have to be processed under special conditions and there are not many labs that do them so they have to be sent frozen. The results are also quite slow to come back, about 6 weeks is not uncommon.
So really you need some interim treatment if your blood glucose levels are continuing to be high especially as you have already had DK. I am glad I have joined this page and can learn

The antibody tests look for the Type 1 antibodies. DKA isn’t unknown in Type 2 but is generally a Type 1 thing. You’re not overweight, you’re young, you have no diabetes in your family, and your C Peptide is low. I understand why your doctor thought you were Type 1 - because that fits.

Type 1 is not uncommon in your 30s. Lots of people here have been diagnosed around that time. If you’re Type 1, you really need to eat properly and take the appropriate insulin. You can’t reverse Type 1. In fact, ignoring it or trying to ‘starve it out’ can cause further damage, confuse things, and delay appropriate treatment.
Thank you Inka. The common understanding was that type 1 was in children and that was my doctor's initial hesitation with diagnosing me as such even though he started me on insulin when I was admitted with DKA. I hope next week when I see a diabetic doctor they can figure out an interim treatment plan pending an antibody test or any further diagnostics.

Thank you Inka. The common understanding was that type 1 was in children and that was my doctor's initial hesitation with diagnosing me as such even though he started me on insulin when I was admitted with DKA. I hope next week when I see a diabetic doctor they can figure out an interim treatment plan pending an antibody test or any further diagnostics.

Ah, that is a common misunderstanding! Actually, Type 1 is just as common in adults as in children. The oldest person diagnosed with Type 1 was in their 90s, and lots of people are diagnosed in their 30s, 40s, 50s and older.

A friend has been diagnosed as Type 1 and is in her mid 70ies. It has made all the difference now she has the proper treatment after 2 years of struggling with losing weight and muscle strength.

How are you doing @Mbabazi? Are you any further forwards with your healthcare appointments and treatment? How are your hands and feet?

How are you doing @Mbabazi? Are you any further forwards with your healthcare appointments and treatment? How are your hands
Hey. Thanks for checking.
I got my A1C back and it's actually good. In the 7s which is fine because I was expecting worse. The doctor insists that I start metmorphin even if to regulate my sugars before going back to dieting it away.

They did take my c peptide and I'm waiting for that to come back and they have also scheduled an appointment for bloods to check my anti body. Thats in two weeks and i heard results take a while. I think it's the GAD test or something to confirm what type I am.

My issue though is that I oscillate between high and lows but then I thought the lows were from trying not to eat. For example this morning my waking sugars I just took is 10.3 and yet I last ate (healthy) around 8pm last night so nearly 14 hours ago. So now I will only eat eggs and raw veggies and then will likely go very low 2 hours after that. This is a common trend for me. I haven't started the metmorfin as I remember the side effects were horrible for me last I tried it but I'm also hoping to hold off untill we have conclusive tests before I can start medication. I really do not want to and will do everything to be non medicated.

If you have already been pottering around for a few hours before taking that reading it may be your liver kicking in and releasing glucose to give you energy and for your organs to function, some people get quite a big difference in a fasting reading between taking the reading in bed and later.
Generally referred to as Dawn Phenomenon or Foot on the floor depending at what time it might kick in.

If you have already been pottering around for a few hours before taking that reading it may be your liver kicking in and releasing glucose to give you energy and for your organs to function, some people get quite a big difference in a fasting reading between taking the reading in bed and later.
Generally referred to as Dawn Phenomenon or Foot on the floor depending at what time it might kick in.
I've heard of the Dawn phenomenon and I'm afraid it isn't the case for me. I woke late today so that's my reading when I went into the kitchen from bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back