No Use Carb Counting...I'm A Type 2!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW ! You need a change of doctors . They seem to know very little about diabetes. I guess we are not to give advice , so I will tell you what I do. And 10 is very high, and you were told that you were doing ok?That don't make sense...I am type 2 , I take 2000mg. of Metformin , 3 mg. of Amaryl. Why did they start you on Insulin ? Heaven knows. In Brit terms I am Fasting 5.3,HBA1C is 5.5.
Ella, there are three things that MUST be done to control Type 2 diabetes.
Medicine for ones that are high levels like you.(2) Diet, alow Glycemic diet. Counting carbs are for the ones that have good memory and a genius in Math. Here is a site that has the best glycemic index on the web. http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm Its a list of 2, 480 foods and their index and load.In one week you will know what to eat and what not to eat.

(3) Exercise. I know you don't want to hear it but it is as important as Meds . and Diet. I Nordic walk. Google it . I use plain ol' wooden sticks.

Just reading your account I became dizzy. How do they know you are type 2. Why was you first told your were type 1? Maybe you still are type 1 , and in a honeymoon phase. One thing for sure is that if you don't get your numbers down , neuropathy, eye problems , kidney problems and heart damage. Here are the numbers you need. Are you checking with a glucometer ?
Normal Fasting Blood Sugar
A normal fasting blood sugar (which is also the blood sugar a normal person will see right before a meal) is:

83 mg/dl (4.6 mmol/L) or less.

Many normal people have fasting blood sugars in the mid and high 70 mg/dl (3.9 mmol/L) range.

Though most doctors will tell you any fasting blood sugar under 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L) is "normal", there are several studies that suggest that testing with a fasting blood sugar in the mid 90 mg/dl (5 mmol/L) range often predicts diabetes that is diagnosed a decade later.
Post-Meal Blood Sugar (Postprandial)
Independent of what they eat, the blood sugar of a truly normal person is:

Under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L) one or two hours after a meal.

Most normal people are under 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L) two hours after eating.
A1c
A truly normal A1c is between 4.6% and 5.4%

A1cs are not as good a measure of actual blood sugar control in individuals as they are for groups. An A1c of 5.1% maps to an average blood sugar of 100 mg/dl (5.6 mmol/L) or less when group statistics are analyzed, but normal variations in how our red blood cells work make the A1cs of truly normal individuals fall into a wider range.

Good luck my friend

You may have to do it yourself

Ella , I do have a doctor I see every three months. But I chose what treatment I am going to use. I use my doctor just as a guide. I will not leave this terrible disease up to someone that probably knows less than I about diabetes. And that is a fact. I bet only 1 in 10 doctors have a clue what goes with diabetes.

So I would learn all I could about your disease. A great site to start is :http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php
It is a shame that treatment for diabetes is so Haphazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back