No more Lispro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Has anyone else been told that Lispro isnt sold anymore?

Do you use generic lispro @gillrogers ? If so, and there are any issues, you can just use Humalog, which is the original lispro insulin.

Not as far as I‘m aware!

I can only find references to some US insurers switching to biosimilars, and old style prefilled Humalog pens stopping in 2010!

Where did you hear this @gillrogers ?

Do you use generic lispro @gillrogers ? If so, and there are any issues, you can just use Humalog, which is the original lispro insulin.
Im using Lyumjev at the moment which is lispro with additives. DSN was going to put me back on ordinary lispro but said iys not sold anymore so will put me on novorapid instead. Got not idea about generics.

Not as far as I‘m aware!

I can only find references to some US insurers switching to biosimilars, and old style prefilled Humalog pens stopping in 2010!

Where did you hear this @gillrogers ?
From my dsn, at Gloucester Royal Hospital

Im using Lyumjev at the moment which is lispro with additives. DSN was going to put me back on ordinary lispro but said iys not sold anymore so will put me on novorapid instead. Got not idea about generics.

Ask to be put on Humalog! Humalog is normal lispro, and is widely available everywhere. Don’t let them mess you round @gillrogers !

I am guessing that whatever Lispro you were previously using is no longer on their prescribing list. You are however entitled to a named insulin I believe, so even if it is not on their prescribing list you can still push for it. Asking for Humalog should get you the result you need though. As said, that is very widely available.
Makes me wonder how much your DSN knows to say that it is not sold anymore.
Swapping bolus insulin can be straight forward but can also create problems and you don't need to to risk more complications with your diabetes management so be firm but polite and insist on a Lispro based normal bolus insulin.
NovoRapid is insulin Aspart, so it is slightly different.

Ask to be put on Humalog! Humalog is normal lispro, and is widely available everywhere. Don’t let them mess you round @gillrogers !
Thanks @Inka lord knows how she came to that idea then ‍♀️.

As a NovoRapid user for more than 15 years, I see nothing wrong with trying it.
I tried Humalog for a month and.found it v-e-r-y s-l-o-w.
We are all different so I think it is important to allow us to try a selection to chose what suits us best.

As a NovoRapid user for more than 15 years, I see nothing wrong with trying it.
I tried Humalog for a month and.found it v-e-r-y s-l-o-w.
We are all different so I think it is important to allow us to try a selection to chose what suits us best.
Yes, had an interesting 24 hours. Had a feeling my basal had lowered yesterday due to the warmth. I was right. Mansged to handle it during the day but last night half an hour after dinner i just kept going down and eating glucose to keep up. Even basal has dropped too , that was evident after i didn't have any bolus left on board. Still struggling to find my bolus timings again as well which probably didnt help oh and nicked a vien at dinner time. Done that before and its never given me a problem. So tired of this game.

Yes, had an interesting 24 hours. Had a feeling my basal had lowered yesterday due to the warmth. I was right. Mansged to handle it during the day but last night half an hour after dinner i just kept going down and eating glucose to keep up. Even basal has dropped too , that was evident after i didn't have any bolus left on board. Still struggling to find my bolus timings again as well which probably didnt help oh and nicked a vien at dinner time. Done that before and its never given me a problem. So tired of this game.

How frustrating for you @gillrogers :( :( :(

It sounds like quite a confusing situation with your insulin change. You may have shared this elsewhere, but what was the reason for switching from Lyumjev? What were you or the DSN hoping this would achieve? Regular lispro (branded as Humalog) is still widely available as fas as any of us know… And there is a more rapid version of NovoRapid called Fiasp which may behave a little more like Lyumjev?

But I confess to being a little unsure as to why you were switching in the first place!

How frustrating for you @gillrogers :( :( :(

It sounds like quite a confusing situation with your insulin change. You may have shared this elsewhere, but what was the reason for switching from Lyumjev? What were you or the DSN hoping this would achieve? Regular lispro (branded as Humalog) is still widely available as fas as any of us know… And there is a more rapid version of NovoRapid called Fiasp which may behave a little more like Lyumjev?

But I confess to being a little unsure as to why you were switching in the first place!
I was switched to lyumjev because I was prebolusing over 35 minutes on ordinary lispro. Was missing out on family meals with the kids. Refused to give it while still cooking dinner in case of a hiccup with cooking . Back then we was in the lockdown and I was stressed to the hilt with a severely mentally I’ll daughter. Now I’ve learnt to handle that stress and I’m more actives so I guess I’m more relaxed and not so tense so guess I’ve become less resistant.

I was switched to lyumjev because I was prebolusing over 35 minutes on ordinary lispro. Was missing out on family meals with the kids. Refused to give it while still cooking dinner in case of a hiccup with cooking . Back then we was in the lockdown and I was stressed to the hilt with a severely mentally I’ll daughter. Now I’ve learnt to handle that stress and I’m more actives so I guess I’m more relaxed and not so tense so guess I’ve become less resistant.
Why are you looking to switch back from lyumjev and go to prebolusing 35 minutes before with lispro/humalog? Sounds like lyumjev fits your life better unless I’m missing something?

Why are you looking to switch back from lyumjev and go to prebolusing 35 minutes before with lispro/humalog? Sounds like lyumjev fits your life better unless I’m missing something?
The chances are i wont be going back to 35 minutes prebolusing. Its a long story Lucy but here goes. ..... When i was first diagnosed as LADA i had already been 8 years in as type 2 and my hba1cs where already in rhe 9s every test. It was till i had an hba1c of 24 they twigged i was likely to be type 1. So by this time id built up insulin resistance and i had been under high stress for 3 years. since being diagnosed as LADA i began getting better hba1c and got better help in handling my stress levels. Now i am more relaxed and can handle stress better. Another factor is that when i was diagnosed we where in shut down and my active job stopped. Then i discovered that i had become resistant to the insulin. In December 21 i started on the lyumjev which meant i didnt need to prebolus, and didnt need to during sumner. Then winter came and i was having to and got up to 7 minutes. But then we came out of winter and my activity started to increase again and i started to notice that my meal.peaks where dissappearing and turnibg into fast drops 15 minutes after i injected the lyumjev. So when i realised what qas happening i had to start injecting when my bloid sugars where starting to rise so in effect i was going back wards with my bolus timings. Im far more relaxed and active now than i was when i originally started on the lispro. The chances are i would need to perhaps prebolus 10 to 15 minutes on the lispro. Ive also come out of my honeymoon period. Hope that makes sense Lucy

Last edited:
The chances are i wont be going back to 35 minutes prebolusing. Its a long story Lucy but here goes. ..... When i was first diagnosed as LADA i had already been 8 years in as type 2 and my hba1cs where already in rhe 9s every test. It was till i had an hba1c of 24 they twigged i was likely to be type 1. So by this time id built up insulin resistance and i had been under high stress for 3 years. since being diagnosed as LADA i began getting better hba1c and got better help in handling my stress levels. Now i am more relaxed and can handle stress better. Another factor is that when i was diagnosed we where in shut down and my active job stopped. Then i discovered that i had become resistant to the insulin. In December 21 i started on the lyumjev which meant i didnt need to prebolus, and didnt need to during sumner. Then winter came and i was having to and got up to 7 minutes. But then we came out of winter and my activity started to increase again and i started to notice that my meal.peaks where dissappearing and turnibg into fast drops 15 minutes after i injected the lyumjev. So when i realised what qas happening i had to start injecting when my bloid sugars where starting to rise so in effect i was going back wards with my bolus timings. Im far more relaxed and active now than i was when i originally started on the lispro. The chances are i would need to perhaps prebolus 10 to 15 minutes on the lispro. Ive also come out of my honeymoon period. Hope that makes sense Lucy
It does, but maybe it’s personal preference. Id much prefer an insulin that I needed to take after I ate then one I need to take 15 minutes before. Works better for eating out etc or when in a rush and difficult to prebolus.

It does, but maybe it’s personal preference. Id much prefer an insulin that I needed to take after I ate then one I need to take 15 minutes before. Works better for eating out etc or when in a rush and difficult to prebolus
I initially thought that but its more like during the meal for me and thats no good for that if you inject into you thighs and dont wearva skirt .

I initially thought that but its more like during the meal for me and thats no good for that if you inject into you thighs and dont wearva skirt .
Why are you restricting your injection sites to your thighs?
I injected in my abdomen most of the time which was easy to reach when I wear trousers most of the time. But also suitable for a skirt.
The only time I used my thighs was when I was wearing a dress.
And I always injected in public (although not publicly) so there was no need to leave the dinner table mid meal.
I have enough room for variation around my abdomen and, nearly twenty years after diagnosis, I have no lumps or absorption issues.

Im skinny and everytime ive done that in the past it reacts too quickly.

Im skinny and everytime ive done that in the past it reacts too quickly.
Are you sure the location is the issue?
I found legs reacted too fast as I am very active so move my legs apply.
We are all different but maybe it is worth retrying your abdomen if it is more convenient. Sometimes, I find I am too quick to draw a conclusion and need to go back to something (or somewhere) I previously discounted.

And I too have little fat (I have a strong dislike of the word "skinny" because it was used as an insult when I was younger)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back