Night time lows

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
fiasp -- never ever been discussed as a treatment for me type 1 for 37 years.
Fiasp (Faster Insulin Aspart) is a fairly new insulin - launched 2017ish I think. It is Novorapid (insulin aspart) with an added component that makes it act more ‘upfront’ in its active insulin time. So the duration of insulin action is still 4-5 hours, but more of the activity happens earlier, and it has a shorter onset time :)

mark king

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Mike I'll mention Fiasp to my SDN at out next meeting. Right now we are tweaking some of the pump settings throughout the 24 Hrs. I have 9 time periods and for now I am at 0.8/hr from 24.00 to 05.00 via my pump.

What I have noted is if I am at a BG of 8 and do nothing at 01.00 I remain very much about that figure when I wake up.
But if I eat say 10 carbs with no insulin recalc to cover the drop down but leave myself receiving the 0.8/hr from the pump I drop even lower. IE I add carbs but no extra insulin other that the 0.8/hr from the pump I drop even lower.
The only way I can make that add up is that my body is reacting to the carbs on top of the pump delivery.

Anyway as I said I will be discussing all these points and concerns with my SDN.

Thanks all.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So - have you done a proper overnight basal test? (Could you get hold of a couple of Libre sensors and a reader to see what actually happens overnight ?)

mark king

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Jenny I have had the Freestyle libre sensor for over 2 years. Initially paying for it, not cheap so yes that's how I can say what is happening through the night. It probably was happening before but unless I did a finger prick check I wasn't able to note my BG only felt a bit crap. It wasn't until I got a Libre sensor that I could easily read my night time readings.
It was because of those reading being erratic that my SDN put me onto a pump as it offered more control.

Just to note here pre pump I was about 25% of the time in range between 4 - 10 since using the pump I have gone to 70% of the time in range. That's a massive improvement but I still have this dip of low reading through the night when I'm only adding 0.8 insulin. I'm going to suggest I temporary suspend my delivery between midnight and 5am. or lower the delivery to 0.
I'm expecting to see her next week.

Best

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
0.8u to last you through the whole night? Or is that your hourly rate? That would be an increase in my hourly rate - why don't you just crank it down for a few hours rather than go berserk and not have any at all? Do you experiment using TBRs when you want to see what happens with this or that amount?

mark king

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello jenny, yes that is my hrly rate between midnight and 6am.

Best time for me to play about is during the day when I can watch what is happening.
Trouble is I seem to react differently to insulin depending on what time of the day it is, don't we all? Therefore I need to do it through the hrs I have issues with.
Simplified no insulin after midnight should leave me high. Normally at midnight I've got a BG reading of about 12.
I've yet to have a play but my expectation is it will still dip.

Best