Night time low alarm going off a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
It certainly sounds like an evening basal reduction is needed if they are persistent lows at night like that, but do encourage him to double check all night time lows with a finger prick. My night time basal needs change far more often than my daytime ones, so my night time Levemir dose often needs tweaking. Usually 2-3 times a week.

Thats really helpful Barbara so thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Going to have him tweak his basal tonight now and see how we get on. Will let you know.

That’s a broad time range that he’s going low during the night, which suggests his Levemir is too high. I agree with you and would reduce my nighttime Levemir if it was me. At least he’ll be able to sleep then without the fear of a hypo.

I didn’t answer your question about a bedtime snack. I have a small bowl of puffed wheat plus milk. Approx 15g carbs. Oatcakes and peanut butter are good too, as area digestive biscuit or two.

The malted milk biscuit might not be enough carbs. They’re usually around 6g carbs if they’re plain. I have a digestive or a plain Hobnob or two, depending on need.

He was 7.7 last night. I think his night time basal is too high for him...

Yes I would think that if those were my results a couple of days running. Dropping 7.7 to 4.4 is quite a lot. Ideally he would keep within +/-2 or less from his bedtime reading (so 9.7 - 5.7).

When sensors are misbehaving for me the first thing I try to think about (apart from compression overnight) is hydration. I really have to stay well hydrated to keep my interstitial fluid levels up and help the glucose to circulate. If I’m not drinking enough water, it really notices.

Yes I would think that if those were my results a couple of days running. Dropping 7.7 to 4.4 is quite a lot. Ideally he would keep within +/-2 or less from his bedtime reading (so 9.7 - 5.7).

When sensors are misbehaving for me the first thing I try to think about (apart from compression overnight) is hydration. I really have to stay well hydrated to keep my interstitial fluid levels up and help the glucose to circulate. If I’m not drinking enough water, it really notices.
Thank you... noted the comment on water intake also.

Hi all
Mother if T1 here, diagnosed when he was 25. He got L2 which he started on Friday but its going off a lot at night as he 'seems' to be running too low. He's getting pretty fed up with it and last night compared by doing some finger prick tests to check. Eg Libre said 3.3 but BG said 4.4... He wants to keep at it but I am concerned he will get too fed up and go back to BG testing. Also whats a good night time snack to keep BS at a better level? Something like a small yoghurt?
Hes recently had his first pretty horrible hypo and ended up in hospital and would rather try and help him avoid that again if I can.... Help/advice appreciated.
Simple solution is reduce his insulin. I I have low alarms 2 nights running then it's a good indicator basal needs dropping.

Simple solution is reduce his insulin. I I have low alarms 2 nights running then it's a good indicator basal needs dropping.
Thank you. His DN called yesterday as I guess because he's new to it and she suggested same so we took it down by a few units. No alarms and he didn't wake until about 4.30 when it started to drop so he caught it in time. He had a good night's sleep so not so cranky today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back