NHS shielding letter

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi sorry to hijack your post Hadrian135. I too received the shielding letter in March. When we contacted the GP about it we were told it was because of the combination of newly being diagnosef with diabetes, high blood pressure and being overweight which am gradually loosing thankfully.

My issue is now my employer contacted me yesterday and is telling me to come back to work from Monday even though i sent him the shielding letter. His comment was the virus is fake and nothings gonna happen which shocked me. I feel he has spat in the faces of family and friends who have lost loved ones due to this virus.

I have proof that they dont follow social disantancing or regularly clean up and go visit friends who seem to be just as narrow minded as them who also come and hang out like nothings happening at their workplace btw.

I want to tell him i quit but will work for another month from home untill they can find and train a replacement to help them out.

Do you guys think am wrong in doing that? I wont face any legal actions if i go down this route right?
Don't go back to work, let him fire you if he wants to, then sue him for wrongful dismissal, if you can.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@GonnaMissPizza Your boss sounds...misguided (polite version). You don’t say what your job is but workplaces have an obligation to ensure the safety of their employees. Your shielding letter might mean they have additional responsibilities. If you’re in a union, get their advice.

If you just want to leave for whatever reason, then your contract will tell you the period of notice you need to give.

AJLang

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Also if they say that you have to work on their premises during your notice period can you get a sick/fit note from your GP?

Eddy Edson

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
@GonnaMissPizza Your boss sounds...misguided (polite version). You don’t say what your job is but workplaces have an obligation to ensure the safety of their employees. Your shielding letter might mean they have additional responsibilities. If you’re in a union, get their advice.

If you just want to leave for whatever reason, then your contract will tell you the period of notice you need to give.
Yes, def talk to union if you have one.

And if the company is active on social media, do some shaming if they are ignoring shielding letters.

Sorry, but these kind of people need to be thwacked.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You might also find this useful:

Where HSE identifies employers who are not taking action to comply with the relevant public health legislation and guidance to control public health risks, eg employers not taking appropriate action to socially distance or ensure workers in the shielded category can follow the NHS advice to self-isolate for the period specified, we will consider taking a range of actions to improve control of workplace risks. These actions include the provision of specific advice to employers through to issuing enforcement notices to help secure improvements with the guidance.”

https://www.hse.gov.uk/news/social-distancing-coronavirus.htm

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I never signed a contract when i started working for them. They never presented one. Am only willing to help them because a few years ago when i needed a job they helped me out. Which is also the reason am not reporting them on the report a business regarding covid on the directgov website.

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
And also thank you all for your advice on this matter. I was just feeling guilty and unsure if what i was doing is morally right. I manage their ebay shop which i can easily do from home. Its a scrapyard i work at. Unfortunatly am not part of a union or i would have contacted them straight away.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
If you have no contract, then your employer is hardly likely to pursue you for not giving a certain period of notice - especially not if he’s breaching HSE guidelines.

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Bad thing about working at a company in small community is you will still see the person all the time when the lockdown is over

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Bad thing about working at a company in small community is you will still see the person all the time when the lockdown is over
I think that’s an important consideration. Always pays to try to act decently, fairly and courteously with everyone. But that doesn’t mean you have to stand for any nonsense if people are being unreasonable. Being assertive and firm is completely fine.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I want to tell him i quit but will work for another month from home untill they can find and train a replacement to help them out.Do you guys think am wrong in doing that? I wont face any legal actions if i go down this route right?

I’m not a lawyer, but a month would be more than generous. I think the minimum is a week for people whose contracts don’t have a Period of Notice. BUT you don’t even have a contract.

Make sure you give Notice in writing and include your last working day eg My last day of work for you will be June 22nd or whatever.

As you say you’ll still see this person, giving a month’s notice is probably sensible. It’s certainly very reasonable in the circumstances.

P.S - always get a contract even if you think you don’t need one. I speak from experience.